Do you feel guilty?

Lynnueno

Oct 18, 2010
Okay ladies. Do you feel guilty spending $$$ on Chanel?
I'm a nurse, just working as needed because I'm in school full time again. So pretty much I can't contribute $financially. I do but not too much. My husband makes six figures but he pays pretty much for everything. So I feel so guilty!!! I feel bad spending money even if its my own. I just bought a GST with my own money and I want to buy a flap soon so I've sold a couple of my LVs to fund my new obsession. Don't want to rely on hubby to pay for my new chanel. But I feel bad for selling the LVs because he bought them for me, so they meant something to me.
I know some of you can relate.

Lyn

I'd find it extremely hard to sell any of my bags to fund another, I'm too sentimental over inanimate objects.

I love that feeling you get when you buy that bag you've wanted for ages.

Okay ladies. Do you feel guilty spending $$$ on Chanel?
I'm a nurse, just working as needed because I'm in school full time again. So pretty much I can't contribute $financially. I do but not too much. My husband makes six figures but he pays pretty much for everything. So I feel so guilty!!! I feel bad spending money even if its my own. I just bought a GST with my own money and I want to buy a flap soon so I've sold a couple of my LVs to fund my new obsession. Don't want to rely on hubby to pay for my new chanel. But I feel bad for selling the LVs because he bought them for me, so they meant something to me.
I know some of you can relate.

Lyn

Hi there! Hmm... financial matters in a marriage can be tricky to navigate. I do believe that when purchasing a large ticket item like a chanel handbag, it should be discussed with your partner first. Perhaps it would help for you both to agree on an amount that each of you is free to spend on non essential items, but any splurge above that should be mutually agreed on. I also want to congratulate you on going back to school; that is a wonderful goal that will pay off in your future. Please do not sell off any more sentimental items in order to purchase a chanel bag... you stated that you feel some regret about doing this. Is your spouse aware that you sold some gifts that he had given you? It could be a bit hurtful to him and believe me, a new chanel isn't worth hurting your partner emotionally. If he is fine with it, that is another matter. Remember, you are in school working on a larger goal of getting a better education and obtaining the type of career you dream of. When you graduate and move forward in your wonderful career, you might just be able to afford the bag of your dreams without selling sentimental items in order to purchase it. Be patient dear Lynnueno:smile: and Best wishes to you!

I'd find it extremely hard to sell any of my bags to fund another, I'm too sentimental over inanimate objects.

I love that feeling you get when you buy that bag you've wanted for ages.

Yes, tell me about it!!! I was packing the purse yesterday, and I was second guessing myself whether I made the right decision or not, I'm too attached to them, they were my collection! I was really sad😢 and today another one left! I'm sure a few of us here share the same feeling when it comes to purses.

Hi there! Hmm... financial matters in a marriage can be tricky to navigate. I do believe that when purchasing a large ticket item like a chanel handbag, it should be discussed with your partner first. Perhaps it would help for you both to agree on an amount that each of you is free to spend on non essential items, but any splurge above that should be mutually agreed on. I also want to congratulate you on going back to school; that is a wonderful goal that will pay off in your future. Please do not sell off any more sentimental items in order to purchase a chanel bag... you stated that you feel some regret about doing this. Is your spouse aware that you sold some gifts that he had given you? It could be a bit hurtful to him and believe me, a new chanel isn't worth hurting your partner emotionally. If he is fine with it, that is another matter. Remember, you are in school working on a larger goal of getting a better education and obtaining the type of career you dream of. When you graduate and move forward in your wonderful career, you might just be able to afford the bag of your dreams without selling sentimental items in order to purchase it. Be patient dear Lynnueno:smile: and Best wishes to you!

Yes! I agree. Hubby said its ok to sell, it was even his idea. He said he will pay for my purse but I just feel sooooo guilty. 😢 Sigh! Thanks for listening and for your advice. Cheers!

yes i do cos they are frivolous wants but they do make me happy and i only buy when i can easily afford them so the happiness over rides the guilt most of the times :P
i discuss all the bag purchases with my DH even if it's using my own $$. he is very supportive and even gives me his opinions which i value.

alright I am going to be brutally honest and say Hell no I don't feel guilty, it is our money and I can do what I like with it as I please. I have a very comfortable live style and have very nice things. I come from a very wealthy family and since when I croak I can't take it with me so I plan on spending it on things I enjoy.

Nope. I save & work hard for my luxury items so I feel no guilt. But I would try to focus mostly on your studies as this will benefit you more than a Chanel purse. You could try to sell some other items as well such as unwanted clothing or jewelry to help fund your bag while studying :smile: Good Luck!

Yes! I agree. Hubby said its ok to sell, it was even his idea. He said he will pay for my purse but I just feel sooooo guilty. �� Sigh! Thanks for listening and for your advice. Cheers!

Since you two discussed selling the bags (and it was his idea) even though they were gifts, think about that they will be funding the Chanel down the road, so that will be from him in a way, if that makes sense. I'm sure he really appreciates that you want to contribute even though he will pay for it. Sounds like a win/win so don't feel guilty! :smile:

ETA: Many here have sold off bags they don't use or desire as much as Chanel (or other brands) to put into a new bag fund, so it's not uncommon.

Last edited:
I think i know what you mean because the money can be better well-spend on other things since bags are kinda like materialistic wants. I dont feel guilty because i get my bags from europe so the bags are alot cheaper than where i am.

For the selling of bags part, if your hubby had agreed to it, dont have to feel guilty. Ultimately people in life do change their priorities and wants. I think in fact it is a healthy mindset to use your own money or sell bags to fund for another obsession. It is afterall better to get a bag that you will use than having those lv bags but you wont use it.

Thanks ladies.

Now I don't feel too bad. I'm not using his money or our savings or my savings or credit card. Well I did for points which I paid off before due date.
The guilt wasnt too bad when I was working as a nurse in a hospital, even then my salary was only a third of his.
Now it was worse bec I'm just a plain ol' housewife.

I feel a lot less guilty then i did in the beginning. And the funny thing is that I used to work in the beginning and don't now. I have an awesome hubby that has a good job and is generous. However, I only buy bags/jewelry after discussing with him and it's only cash that is available for that purpose and doesn't take away from bills, savings, etc. (and absolutely no charging on credit cards!)