Do you ever..

GirlyGirl4

May 14, 2010
I know this is silly, but does anybody buy just to buy? I have boughten so many things over the years just to buy it, and have it hanging in my closet. Does anyone else do this? And if so, do you end up selling it or just hanging onto it knowing you probably wont ever wear it?

I like the satisfaction of knowing I have something... but no intentions on wearing it. I'm weird. :shame:

Yup, I'm guilty of this too. I'm someone who hates attention, therefore I practically go to school and other places in my pajamas (in stark contrast with my friends...or at least those who are not embarrassed to ditch me for being so dumpy. LOL. Hey, personality is what matters, right?).

Anyways, I do it because I have weird satisfaction knowing that its in my closet, and that one day I'll wear it and look awesome in it. :smile:

i don't do this with clothes, but with housewares . . . there are some things that I just feel like a well-equipped home should have, but when am I ever going to use, say, an Hermès ashtray, considering I don't allow people to smoke in my house?

looks nice on the coffee table though (^(oo)^)v

I never INTEND to do this, but it happens a lot. I buy something because I try it on and it looks great and I feel great in it and then I never happen to find the right occasion to wear it. Or I think that even if something isn't quite up my alley in terms of style, that the particular piece I bought could be an exception. And then, of course, I end up never wearing them.

i think we all do/did at one time or another, sometimes i go into a store and buy something b/c i feel obligated to do so just b/c its been awhile even though i really didnt need it...but buying just for no reason all the time, i dont.

Yes, I have. This tends to happen when I have really long breaks from shopping thanks to school or if I've been really stressed out (from school), I'll go to a cheap store like Forever 21 and pick up a shirt or two. I never spend more than $10 so that my little cheap thrills truly stay cheap.

Yes. I have a pair of Louboutins I bought that are phenomenal, but I cannot walk in them so they are never worn. I have considered selling them several times but could never bring myself to do so. I do like to wear them around the house :amuse:.

My friend read an article once saying that the whole shopping experience is psychological ;) we go, see others buying & carrying bags, and want to join the pack LOL

A suggestion in the article was to take something from home and carry it in a shopping bag around the mall, my friend tried it (she had a huge problem with buying tons of unneeded stuff) and she said it honestly worked! She said she felt like she had purchased something (but hadn't) and would walk around the mall, browse and then was able to leave without actually buying.

yup, i'm guilty of this too. I'm someone who hates attention, therefore i practically go to school and other places in my pajamas (in stark contrast with my friends...or at least those who are not embarrassed to ditch me for being so dumpy. Lol. Hey, personality is what matters, right?).

Anyways, i do it because i have weird satisfaction knowing that its in my closet, and that one day i'll wear it and look awesome in it. :smile:

ditto!!!!

No I never buy just for the sake of buying something. Seeing as I am only 17 and my job doesn't exactly pay well, I simply can not afford to spend on random things that I will not use. I have a feeling, however, that if I had more money to spend, I would most likely do the same ;P

I have a lot of stuff with tags on it... I ment to wear it, never got around to it, and now the season has passed and would look weird this time of year :P I do buy to buy I guess. I like having options incase something happens.