Do You Ever Want to Start Over?

my life is very casual lately, i seem to only wear jeans, shorts, tank tops and tshirts, sweaters, and very casual shoes. i have a closet full of things that no longer fit my lifestyle.

i am gradually getting rid of things, i had my closet organized..so i have all of the components in place

what i would like, is to have one of those ultra organized looking closets, like you see in the advertisements for the closet companies. mind you, they hardly have any clothing in them when they are photographed.

i feel like my life would be so much easier if i could walk into my closet and see exactly what i want. i don't need to have tons of clothing anymore, that phase is past for me.

no time like the present, i think i will start another goodwill pile right now.

cleansing makes you feel good

Twiggers, definitely know what you mean !!

I go through my closet several times a year and get rid of things. If I think there's any resale value, I'll do ebay -- if not worth it, I donate to the VA -- it's amazing how fast it all adds up and it's a nice tax deduction.

Also identify with the "when I was 20" feeling. I had a 10 x 12 foot studio in the Village in my 20's, a crazily creative life, shopped in thrift stores. But, I also know I'm romanticizing some of that free wheeling joy -- it was no fun when my $$ ran out before pay day and I needed shampoo and nylons ... and even back then, when I got a gift of cash (I remember a boss giving me $$ for christmas my first year in NYC) I went to Bdales and bought the nicest designer dress I could find (for $50, on sale) and I wore it to death.

I've always liked vacations for the pack what you do and live with those choices aspect -- a closet that looks completely coordinated and spare !

I know I became so much more careful several years ago with the furniture choices I made -- carefully planned my kitchen remodel. When it comes to home decor -- someone once suggested treating your decorative items like props, and rotating them out -- I collect folk art, american art pottery and several young artists, and I definitely do that now.

As to the house -- you know, almost every house is going to have things wrong with it you don't see, and may not even pick up in a building inspection unless it's brand new -- and brand new is no guarantee either, really. I know I don't have a lot of patience with "fixing" things -- I hate the conflict with contractors, the jobs that never get done quite right, but now I have a list of things I want to do and I'm slowly chipping away at it, so I don't feel totally overwhelmed.

We all know shopping can be an addiction -- a fill me up kind of substitute -- but shopping can also be about choosing, rewarding yourself for hard work, and it keeps that old global economy chugging along. I don't see anyone I know crawling under the Bodhi tree and living in a loin cloth with their begging bowl -- so we're going to get stuff, and we're going to want to get rid of it.

Anyway, interesting thread ! A few months ago, I found a wonderful young rock band from PA living in England -- who reminded me of what my life was like at 20. And I realized, I can put that adventurous, open spirit into what I do even tho I now think about my retirement plan and have so many more things than I did back then, mortgage, etc etc. And it's made me so much happier than I was. And that rock band, they lived with no heat last winter. That's just not romantic. I'm hoping they get their break soon !!

Sorry -- long long long post !!!

^^^ Cool post Jenskar!

Know what you mean Twiggers. I sometimes wish I could get rid of all my stuff - sometimes it feels like it weighs me down. When I was fresh out of college with practically no furniture, I could go anywhere and do anything. I didn't have much to lose, and things could pretty much only get better. Now, I would have to get rid of so much stuff....