Do you ever tell people you bought a bag off eBay?

Adore

"BLONDIE"
Sep 17, 2006
I haven't been asked "where'd you get your bag?" in a while. I was asked last weekend and I just said eBay! But it opened up a can of worms, like "how can you tell it's real," questions. I guess depending on who you're talking to it could open up a long conversation, and it did for me. It's probably just like a lot of other things though.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else admits to buying their bags off eBay? I don't know what you'd be admitting to. I guess just that you got a deal (I love those!) or that your bag is most likely pre-owned (and a lot of times who would be able to tell?!). I don't see anything wrong with that but I feel like next time I'll just say "from their boutique down at blah blah!"

I am almost never asked where I got any of my bags. When I mentioned that I was going to buy a Chloe, a cube mate asked where, and I simply said Ebay. I told three young female co-workers that as they all sat in the same cube as I, but they made no deal of it even though they knew I was going to pay $600 plus for one. However, they're not at all as stringent about buying authentic items like we TPF'ers are. I think they just assumed I was buying real anyway (which of course I was). Two of them buy fakes without a problem with it.

Always! And then people ooh and ahh like it's a miracle, I don't really get it but if they want to think I am pulling some voodoo by buying on ebay that's cool by me.

I tell people all the time!! I also proudly tell them the great deals I get from ebay!! I rarely ever pay full price for any of my bags, so if someone asks I'm happy to sare with them.

For some this opens the same can of worms you've had......"how do you know it's real.....blah......blah." But I simply tell them that I'm purse crazy and I know the brand inside and out and I also know how to shop on ebay.

Most people are usually amazed at the deals that I get and I offer to help them get a good deal if they want one!!! :P

I once bought a REAL vintage Chanel off ebay and everyone asked me where I got it. I was very honest and told them the truth :smile: I was proud of that bag at the time and the price I paid, although I have since sold it.

The exact same thing happened to me last weekend! :nuts: And the girl who asked me also asked the exact same question: How can you tell it's real?

I answered everything truthfully and introduced her to tPF and our authentication forums! :graucho::P

I have a few times before and always get funny looks. I once told my nordies SA that the Marc Jacobs she had complimented me on was from ebay. She replied "I would never buy a handbag on ebay!". That's fine, more deals for me. :lol:

I used to be a bay fanatic and was thrilled to tell people I bought off ebay and the great deal I got. I got burned a few years back, though, so no more bay purchases for me.

I have gotten ALOT of bags off of ebay in the past and when the subject comes up, sometimes I tell the truth, sometimes I tell a fib. If the person seems like they are judgemental, I say "oh I cant really remember" but if they seem cool and like they would appreciate finding a treasure on the Bay, I tell them the truth.

i tell people where i bought it because i usually got a good deal =)
like everyone above i tell them about tpf authentication threads =)
my bf likes that i buy bags on ebay, so he doesn't have to buy it for me full price hAHA