Do you ever NOT use a bag because you love it too much?

Morisa

Nov 5, 2011
I feel like if I love the bag, then I don't want to use it because I'm afraid I'll get it dirty/worn and then it won't be as shiny and wonderful as it was when I first got it. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do? I agree that it's kinda silly to just let the bag sit in your closet just so you can keep it "new," but at the same time, because these aren't cheap bags, I feel like I'm scared to put them to use.

I definitely used to do the same. Now I try to use everything, depending on the weather, and have a plan in case the weather turns and I'm caught in it. I've been this way with other things too like expensive earrings, shoes, even beauty products etc. I've realized though....what am I saving this stuff for? I'm only getting older...we all are! :lol: We should enjoy our things and if we want treasures to just look at, then for me at least, it'll be art that hangs on my wall. Handbags are functional as are other items and are meant to be used. If I find I'm not using a bag because it's too fragile, then that bag probably isn't for me and I'll sell it. I highly recommend using your things, bags, whatever they may be. You never know what tomorrow will bring and life is meant to be enjoyed!

I used to do this all the time and have had horrible experiences that have cured me of this. They are:
Marc Jacobs-loved it so I didn't use it, then felt as though it looked dated b/c I held on to it so long. I ended up selling it.
Pair of pants: "saved" them for the right occasion, until I went to try them on and they didn't fit.
Expensive maternity outfit-"saved it" for a coming home outfit from the hospital b/c it was expensive and I didn't want it to look worn when I left the hospital. It ended up too big once I was discharged.
Shoes: very expensive pair of patent shoes I bought and saved. Finally took them out of the closet and realized that they had color transfer on the patent and they had never been worn. I was heartbroken.
Moral of the story, nice things are meant to be used. If you try to keep them perfect & untouched, not only do you not enjoy them, the universe finds a way to spoil them anyway.

Yes I feel exactly as you. It's funny that you posted this because I was going to post the same but was afraid I would get kicked off the board or something.

I'm afraid to use my expensive bags because they cost so much that I can't stand the thought of them getting stained or worn out or whatever. I know I should get past this and get some enjoyment out of them but so far I haven't figured out how to do this.

I'm not buying anymore expensive bags and I can't afford to do so at this point in my life anyway but I'm beginning to think this is not the kind of item that I should have purchased, even though I do love what I have.

Mine are sitting in their dust bags on a shelf in my closet making me feel guilty for not using them or selling them and using the money for something else.

I agree with you all and same experiences.

I used to be like you Morisa's dilemma before which at begining/start obsessions early stage.

Later since I saw all my collection which wakes up call, start to use all of them in rotate.

Even if I don't use it much and sell it!! or give to my sister coz she ask for it!
She knows that I am crazy bags but she didn't say anything bad words (differs to my mum), just simple ask my bags that I don't use often that's all.

Now I am trying not to buy more bags which I need more holiday funds!!

Generally speaking, the more expensive something is, the more eager I am to use it actually. It's time to put those high prices to a test.

However, if it's a really rare kind of bag that I really love, regardless of the price, then I make extreme exceptions as to when to use it.

Later since I saw all my collection which wakes up call, start to use all of them in rotate.

Haha, so the trick is that I need to buy enough bags so that I have too many, and then start using them in rotation? :P

It's a complete mental block, I know. It's not like I won't be able to go out and buy a new one when a new style comes out that I like. I just keep thinking, oh, but I really like this one, and the designer probably won't come out with another one like it in the same color/texture/fabric, so I have to save it...

To an extent I agree with those saying 'use em!'

However i decide carefully for some of my rarer/delicate bags when I will use them. For instance, some of my lighter coloured mulberry's I would never use day in day out for work, because they would get damaged. I would tend to take these bags out less, or for special occasions.