Do You Ever Leave Your Purse in Your Car?

Miss Meow

Apr 24, 2015
I have to go to a volunteer day for work next week and the charity said we have to either leave our valuables at home or lock them in our car.

My husband says absolutely never leave anything valuable in a car and they are just inviting trouble by putting on the Internet that their parking lot is full of cars with valuables in the trunks.

I'm dreading the thought of going all day with just what I can put in my pockets (hour long commute each way just to get to our carpool with nothing to read and none of the things I normally don't leave home without) but with my luck that if I did leave anything in the car it would get stolen and I'd never hear the end of it!

Just wondering what other people think?

I have left my bag in my car. It's hidden under a blanket in the trunk. I also volunteer and often times I have been advised to leave all valuables at home or in the car. The only things I keep with me is a card case with my ID, credit card & a bill, my phone and car keys. These all fit into a small cross body. I have several cross bodies that will do the job depending on where I volunteer. School, church, shelters, clubs fundraisings, etc.
If you want to bring along something to read on your commute, just bring an inexpensive bag and put your reading materials and other things in it. When you start volunteering, then leave that in the trunk.
I think that as long as the thief do not see anything of value in plain sight, then your car will not be a target.

I have, often i downsize and grab a wristlet i just ensure the purse is out of sight. HOnestly, thieves who are looking to break in simply will, years ago i recall someone getting in our cars when we lived in town and stole change and cassettes(clearly this goes back awhile lol) no other valuables were even in the car.

I interpret valuables as high value items like electronics, jewelry and designer goods. So I don't think the charity is telling you not to bring a bag, just that your bag will probably be dumped together with other bags in a place they can't secure. "Don't bring valuables" is the generic advice given to things ranging from camps and coat checks to church parties, anywhere you have to store a bag unattended. And it's good advice, I've seen bags stolen from church basements during Christmas parties, so nowhere is safe unless on you.

So... Unbranded canvas bag with a book/mag and your knitting should be just fine. No one will want to steal that.

You should pack a non-important purse/ tote/ shopping bag with what you need for the day and leave it in the trunk. Dont bring your favorite purse/wallet packed with all your credit cards and cash.

It's unlikely the car will be broken into. However it is prudent to not make yourself a target and leave valuables in the open or bring more than is necessary to unsafe areas.

I am always nervous to leave my purse in my car, but sometimes it cannot be helped. I always cover it casually with other items if the trunk area is viewable through glass. You dont want it to look like a covered purse.

You will have a lovely day! Dont spend it worrying about your valuables. Keep your cash and a couple credit cards on you and leave everything else you might want for the day hidden in the car.

I have to go to a volunteer day for work next week and the charity said we have to either leave our valuables at home or lock them in our car.

My husband says absolutely never leave anything valuable in a car and they are just inviting trouble by putting on the Internet that their parking lot is full of cars with valuables in the trunks.

I'm dreading the thought of going all day with just what I can put in my pockets (hour long commute each way just to get to our carpool with nothing to read and none of the things I normally don't leave home without) but with my luck that if I did leave anything in the car it would get stolen and I'd never hear the end of it!

Just wondering what other people think?
Put your books and non-valuables into a tote and leave it in your trunk. Get a very small wallet and pare down what you need to one credit card and a few dollars and keep it, your car keys and your phone in your pockets. You'll need to make sure that what you are planning to wear will accommodate this. Leave all your other valuables at home.

It's such a bad idea to leave anything in your car but I guess it depends where you live. In NYC they broke into my car for quarters LOL. If you leave any visible cords they will break in looking for a DVD player, GPS etc.

My SIL left her bag in her car when she was at the park with my brother in Baltimore - and yes they smashed the window for it. It wasn't even a designer bag.

Gang initiations involve sending young wanna-be gang kids out to collect as many items from cars as they can. So It's not even a case of 'don't leave your purse in your car', it's 'expect your car to be broken in to for no real reason'.

If you bring the purse, put it in the trunk. If you have a visible area (hatchback), don't put anything over it to 'hide' it - don't you think that 'lump' is the first place they'll toss?

Almost the number one property crime in the Twin Cities area.

How about a vest with many pockets to carry your things for just this sort of occasion? Can you find one at a thrift or charity shop?

How about a vest with many pockets to carry your things for just this sort of occasion? Can you find one at a thrift or charity shop?

Thanks! This is an ideal solution and I didn't think of it. My husband has a fishing vest with loads of pockets that close with velcro. One of my main worries was that every time I've ever put anything in my pants' pocket I've lost it!

Thanks everyone for your responses. This all has just reminded me of something - my church used to do "Out of the Cold" (hot supper and breakfast and a mat to sleep on for homeless people during the winter months), and one of the members of my team was a dear elderly lady who every week rolled up her white mink coat around her designer purse (forget the brand now) and stuffed it under the steam table! It was at the end of my street so I just put my house keys on a chain around my neck and left everything at home.

Yes. I live in a super low crime rate area, however.

Me too. If I need to leave my bag in the car, there's a secret compartment in the trunk to place my bag.
OP, if you feel that your area has a high crime rate then leave your valuables at home. You are going to volunteer, what are some of the things you dread going without for a day?

Me too. If I need to leave my bag in the car, there's a secret compartment in the trunk to place my bag.
OP, if you feel that your area has a high crime rate then leave your valuables at home. You are going to volunteer, what are some of the things you dread going without for a day?

For one, I don't even have a comb that would fit in a pocket! :biggrin:

And many times I've been stuck on our unreliable subway for hours at at time - so I never leave home without several hours of reading material.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "valuables" as that confused some people. What they said was not to bring anything that wasn't on your person.

Thanks again indiaink for solving my problem!

For one, I don't even have a comb that would fit in a pocket! :biggrin:

And many times I've been stuck on our unreliable subway for hours at at time - so I never leave home without several hours of reading material.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "valuables" as that confused some people. What they said was not to bring anything that wasn't on your person.

Thanks again indiaink for solving my problem!
Sounds like you found the perfect solution in the fishing vest!

I was going to suggest otherwise that if the charity wasn't too far from work, you could drop off your purse and things at the office, then pick it up later on the way home. But the vest is much more convenient :smile:

I would not leave a bag I loved in my car ever. I don't even put it in the carriage when I go shopping (after having one stolen out of it). I think as others have suggested its a good idea to use something you don't love that day.