Do you ever get "used" to your bags and feel like you don't love them as much

sararachelle

Sara S.
O.G.
Oct 15, 2013
I sometimes feel like this with my medallion tote until I wear it out and fall in love with it again! I do think that it is pretty normal to be super excited about any new purchase in the beginning though, and become used to having it after a while.

:smile:

haha I know what you mean, that's happened to me a few times. It happens really fast with cheaper bags - I bought and sold a few MK bags within a few months because I got tired of them. I don't bother with them anymore. It kind of happened with my speedy which is now 4 years old... but I still use it because it's so carefree and easy. I don't think it'll even happen with my classic jumbo flap though. I still love it a year later!

Reactions: Frillylily
Before I buy most things (I have made a few regretful decisions I had to live with), I carefully think about them. By the time I buy them, I'm quite excited, and love them just as much later as the day I got them. This is true whether it's jewelry, a bag, or shoes, or a piece of furniture. I put love and part of myself into everything, and we have made life what it is together, if that makes any sense. Some things eventually will get passed down, and some already have (I don't believe in waiting to do this), and more will. But I will still love them all the same, and love that a new generation is getting to enjoy the things that have so much love in them.

I don't get as excited buying new things (jewelry, bags, etc) as I used to. I continue to appreciate beautiful and well-made items and keep buying them (I'm still in this forum:biggrin:), but with exception of some pieces that have a special meaning for me, I often have the need to downsize. One of my true passions is traveling and I get much more excited planning a trip to a beautiful place than buying a new bag.

Before I buy most things (I have made a few regretful decisions I had to live with), I carefully think about them. By the time I buy them, I'm quite excited, and love them just as much later as the day I got them. This is true whether it's jewelry, a bag, or shoes, or a piece of furniture. I put love and part of myself into everything, and we have made life what it is together, if that makes any sense. Some things eventually will get passed down, and some already have (I don't believe in waiting to do this), and more will. But I will still love them all the same, and love that a new generation is getting to enjoy the things that have so much love in them.

I am a little like you Tutu - I tend to really think long term about my purchases as I have done impulsive things before (like buying 4 LV Speedy bags in different colours - now I have just one !!!)

So I am now purchasing with a long term view in mind - things that will last and grow old with me and I can pass on to my sweet daughter who shares the same love of bags and things I do. So I have that in my mind as I cannot afford to make mistakes with purchases now and that is in all realms of buying - whether it is furniture, jewellery or bags, I just want to buy the item once, and be in love with it forever. So far it is working.

One way of doing this is making up a Wish List and sticking to it - DONT make impulsive purchases, think about the use the bag will have and how long it may be in fashion. I stick with classics for this reason and I love each and every one of my bags now.

I think my finance professor told us once that materialistic things usually loose their appeal fast. And you end up keep spending more money to stay happy.maybe thats the reasoning behind chanel and hermes price increases? Something along those lines lol
Which is why i spend months deciding weather i want something. I am happy with the 2 chanel classic bags i have.

Reactions: Frillylily
I don't always feel the initial thrill of the purchase, but I do continue to love my precious'. Once I've worn them a few times, I love them more because I don't have to worry about babying them like I do the first time I wear it.

Reactions: Mousy
Yes! For the majority of my bags.. I fall in love/lust.. obsess.. buy the bag.. come home... stare and photograph it to death and lovingly put it in my wardrobe. A week later I am like 'meh that old thing?' Then I wear it and the love comes back all over again. Then I forget about it till next time.

Then there is the occasional 'it' bag i get obsessed over and then realise i am not actually a fan I just bought into the hype. I mean my Fallabella? What was I thinking!?! So not me. LV speedy?? Celine Trapeze. None of these lasted a week!

The exceptions are my Chanel classic flaps & Hermes Birkins! Always get excited seeing those :smile: still all tingly when I look at them.

Sure, I get used to having them. But I can honestly say I never lose my appreciation or enjoyment for my designer bags. Taking my one and only Chanel flap out of its dust bag never gets old....and since I only plan on buying one more flap in the future, I anticipate that feeling will not get diluted by purchase after purchase. It's all good.:smile:

Yes! For the majority of my bags.. I fall in love/lust.. obsess.. buy the bag.. come home... stare and photograph it to death and lovingly put it in my wardrobe. A week later I am like 'meh that old thing?' Then I wear it and the love comes back all over again. Then I forget about it till next time.

Then there is the occasional 'it' bag i get obsessed over and then realise i am not actually a fan I just bought into the hype. I mean my Fallabella? What was I thinking!?! So not me. LV speedy?? Celine Trapeze. None of these lasted a week!

The exceptions are my Chanel classic flaps & Hermes Birkins! Always get excited seeing those :smile: still all tingly when I look at them.

I definitely wasn't a classic flap person until I was perusing the Chanel website looking for SLGs and Boys, and I saw the bronze with gold hardware. #Love

I mostly love all these designer bags...the looks. However, most of them don't fit into my lifestyle and the actual bag I'm looking for doesn't even seem to exist!

Sure, I get used to having them. But I can honestly say I never lose my appreciation or enjoyment for my designer bags. Taking my one and only Chanel flap out of its dust bag never gets old....and since I only plan on buying one more flap in the future, I anticipate that feeling will not get diluted by purchase after purchase. It's all good.:smile:

I feel the same way. I love when I get the chance to wear my flap!

I think my finance professor told us once that materialistic things usually loose their appeal fast. And you end up keep spending more money to stay happy.maybe thats the reasoning behind chanel and hermes price increases? Something along those lines lol
Which is why i spend months deciding weather i want something. I am happy with the 2 chanel classic bags i have.

That is true, material things don't really bring us lasting happiness, but I have to say, I do get so much enjoyment from the bags. Through the week I take an old LV Speedy to work - as she has to sit under my desk in a pigeon hole and she gets bumped. She is from the mid 90s and is still a great bag - but Sundays is my "bag baby day" my daughter and I get dressed up and take a "bag baby" out and it is fun deciding which one from my small collection to take on the day and I love the whole process of loading her up for a day out. It is just the thing my daughter and I love to do on our day off together each week.
My bag wish list is now complete and I am very happy to have reached that point and shall just buy smaller things as I fancy. I have come to the conclusion my collection is now a great one with a bag for each need - so I am content.
I think you do have to set yourself limits or else it can get out of control.
You do have to take time to enjoy what you do have.

I don't get as excited buying new things (jewelry, bags, etc) as I used to. I continue to appreciate beautiful and well-made items and keep buying them (I'm still in this forum:biggrin:), but with exception of some pieces that have a special meaning for me, I often have the need to downsize. One of my true passions is traveling and I get much more excited planning a trip to a beautiful place than buying a new bag.

i share your sentiments. truly love beautiful things and i still buy for sure, but i get so much joy out of experiences (like travel,dining out and so on) as well.... i'm not sure i fall out of love with bags or things, but i think b/c i have so much that if i'm not using it - i feel badly having it just sit (so if that happens for more than a season i tend to clear out)....

The way I avoid this is I only buy things that I want/love so much that I want them to last as long as possible, I want to keep and use them until they fall apart. Anything less than that I just don't buy, no matter how cute I might think it is. It's got to have that "precious" status in my heart and mind :smile: