Do You Ever Get Obsessed by 'Cheaper' Bags?

heather123

Nov 13, 2006
So here's my situation. I recently bought a wonderful bag by the English brand Dents. It cost me only £62 on eBay, but although made of glorious leather Dents bags are not especially expensive. They seem to run to a couple of hundred pounds max. This is in marked contrast to my other bags, most of which are expensive, high-end brands. Maybe the global economic climate is pricking my conscience about expensive bag purchasing, but I'm finding myself delighted to see so many great brands out there at reasonable or even low prices! What do you all think?

I have The Sak Silverlake Convertible in amber and I love it. Quite often I'll reach for it instead of one of my more pricey bags. I hope that helps.

Every so often I get "stuck" on cheaper bags. But, I guess my feeling is that because they were cheaper I don't have to baby them!! However, it's not about price for me...it's about looks! So, if the bag is cute and cheap, it just means I can get it sooner rather than later!!

I'm seriously considering Marks and Spencer's bags. I'd just love to go somewhere for coffee/lunch without worrying whether this will be the day somebody spills coleslaw on my expensive bag. A couple of years ago a waitress spilled Cappuccino on my new suede boots.

Ever since I bought 2 high end bags, my obsession with "cheaper" bags has really been curbed. Which is a good thing because I never thought I had much impulse control when it came to buying bags whereever there was some to be purchased.

With the way things are going with the world environment and economy, I may see myself going back towards the other end of the spectrum soon. I'm talking about more eco-friendly bags, artisan crafted bags, new fresh designers etc.

I always lament the fact that everything I adore is SOO expensive, but I too have the silverlake satchel in Amber and use that bag ALL the time. I had no idea when I bought it that I would end up using it so much. I've ever spilled things on it and managed to wipe it off no problem. And the kicker is I got it for only $160 brand new from a store online, ebags or something like that.

I also went to TJMAXX and found a great bag that looks amazing and has the required 3 straps (for me I need to be able to have a hands free purse too), it's also a very chic look in a dark green patent color and it only cost me $30.

So yeah I can get "stuck" on a cheaper bag, but I don't lust after them. Only because I can afford to buy them so it's more about instant gratification. Of course you have the added benefit and of being able to "kick" it around and not worry. Since I have 3 kids that's a major plus.

I actually have an 800 euro Dolce and Gabbana bag that I toss around as it's pebbled leather, very tough and sometimes asks to be kicked. As for my other expensive bags I carry them around carefully from place to place!

My problem with lower end bags (anything for which I pay less than $200) is that I will buy them without a lot of thought and then I end up with an even bigger storage issue. For me it is better not to look at them too often (i.e., don't go to TJM every week).

I agree with you completely, and I do find myself delighted to see really cute handbags for great prices. The most important thing about a purse is that it makes you feel beautiful and that it is relatively useful.

i have Nine West, VS, Ted Baker-s which are quite affordable but I dont reckon getting more lower end bags for a while now.. these few are my go-to beat ard bag and it's good to have a balance of cheap and expensive in my closet..

I recently indulged in a B. Makowsky bag and a Lucky Brand bag and wristlet from Marshall's, and I love them. I was incredibly surprised by the quality of the leather and construction in the B. Makowsky bag. So while I didn't intend to lust after them, I did buy them and they have kept me satisfied for quite a while!

I'm seriously considering Marks and Spencer's bags. I'd just love to go somewhere for coffee/lunch without worrying whether this will be the day somebody spills coleslaw on my expensive bag. A couple of years ago a waitress spilled Cappuccino on my new suede boots.

I was just in Dublin a few weeks ago and saw great bags everywhere I looked, it seemed like (on people.) Of course, maybe it's just because it wasn't the "same old stuff" I see here in the US all the time. I didn't get into Marks and Spencer there (didn't even get to Grafton Street!) but I did go there and Debenhams in Edinburgh and they both had some great ones, though I confess I can't remember the brands. But I don't remember any of them being super expensive - just cute stuff!

Some people might be bag snobs, but I am not - and I don't think most people in here are from what I have seen so far. If you like it and it suits your purpose and it's well made, I say go for it! :tup:

I obsess over higher end bags more than cheaper. Mainly because I can afford a cheaper bag so i dont worry about as much. I cant go in the store and buy a pricier bag just because the way I can do a cheaper one.