Do you ever feel bad about buying and owning Chanel?

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
I love Chanel, and maybe there is something wrong with me, but sometimes I feel really bad about owning it or buying it. (And I only have two, soon to be three, Chanel's.) Does this mean I'm not ready for Chanel, if there's such a thing? I love my Chanel bags to death, but then when I think of all the starving kids and teens who don't have food I get really sad by it. Almost like I wish I didn't have the bags for just a moment. Does this ever happen to anyone? I love designer handbags most of the time though. What do you do about this kind of thing? TIA. :heart:

I feel bad sometimes to be honest. I have bags I havent ever used. I would purge them, but I would feel worse not getting the money back that I spent. I feel bad because I am working so much now and not wearing them at all. I need to quit my job and wear them... lol jkin. I wish I could sell all of my material things and start over. I would have a few simplke things and maybe a nicer house and car.

I love Chanel, and maybe there is something wrong with me, but sometimes I feel really bad about owning it or buying it. (And I only have two, soon to be three, Chanel's.) Does this mean I'm not ready for Chanel, if there's such a thing? I love my Chanel bags to death, but then when I think of all the starving kids and teens who don't have food I get really sad by it. Almost like I wish I didn't have the bags for just a moment. Does this ever happen to anyone? I love designer handbags most of the time though. What do you do about this kind of thing? TIA. :heart:

awww, you sound very sweet and sensitive :smile:

there's always gonna be people richer and poor, better off and worst off.. etc etc

not buying yourself a handbag isn't going to help anyone anywhere else (just like whether or not you finish your plate... the food won't magically appear in ethiopia instead)

if youre feeling particularly philanthropic, you can always volunteer your time to causes that directly benefit others

:tup:

I agree. It's a matter of managing what you are comfortable with. If you hv more bags and hv opportunities to use them, why not?

Contributing to worthy causes could help too

One of the things I feel really good about buying more expensive handbags and clothing is that it is usually made in Europe. That way I'm sure that the people who make my bags are being paid decently, and that no children will have crappy lives because they're being exposed to dangerous chemicals and hard labour.
In one week, if all goes well, I'll be the proud owner of my first Chanel bag! Yay!

Yes, I do sometimes and often feel bad about buying Chanel for many many reasons.

One being that one Chanel bag could buy SO much other things. I could buy so many non-designer clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty products, etc, for the price of just ONE Chanel.

Another is that yes, I am spending thousands on myself when I could be giving to others. I do volunteer once a week though, so I suppose that does *slightly* appease my conscience.

Lastly, I feel bad about owning Chanel when the people around me make me feel bad. I get a lot of comments from other people around my age (19) asking, "How can you afford Chanel?" "Are you rich?" "Why don't you buy Louis Vuitton, it's for younger people. Chanel is for old ladies." etc etc. I take those comments with a grain of salt, but it does bear down on me over time.

In the end, I buy Chanel because it makes me happy. I think we are all deserving of a bit of luxury in our lives. Some guys like to invest their money in cars, others like to invest their money in stocks, I like to invest my money in fashion. :yes: It's no one else's business but my own how I spend my money, because it's just that, MY money. Unless I'm stealing other people's identities and charging up a storm, it's no one's business but mine.

No and no.

I don't feel guilty at all as I work very hard to have the things I like.

Material things are not a priority though and of course I care about others but I cannot save the world.

Yes I feel horrible that I spend money on bags and other luxuries instead of saving the starving people of the world.
I should sell my business and go work in the peace corps and build houses for the unfortunate.

Ok enough sarcasm-why would anyone feel bad buying something they enjoy? Whether you work hard, save, or just have it-why feel bad to buy something you want? If you were going to feel guilty because others don't have-than don't buy.
Charity starts in the home. Be good to yourself-you work hard-enjoy the fruits of your labor. I personally never feel bad to own anything I have. I grew up with parents who gave me everything because my dad is successful at what he does. He taught my sister and I to work and succeed so that we may continue to enjoy all life has to offer-he also taught us to be humble. My husband came from nothing and has a thriving business. He enjoys the fact that he has no stress when it comes to financial matters and is proud that he can give me everything. So why would I feel bad? We all work hard, we deserve it. That goes for anyone out there who works.

No, because i buy all my Chanel with my own money. I'm still helping out my parents with their mortgage along with my own mortgage. Currently, i'm sponsoring a little girl in Vietnam. And, i'm not ashamed to admit my obsession with Chanel :smile:

I started my purse collection in my 40's and if I had to do it over would have started much earlier as most of you. My generation bought a house in their twenties, not much left over for a purse in the 70's. I worked law enforcment and needed purses that were as tough as my job. Later working Detectives, I ocassionally brought one out to play. Enjoy and take care of your bags. Now in my mid 50's I enjoy them as much as possible and also enjoy this forum of ladies that have such good taste.

No because I give copius amounts of money away to those who need it and donate my unwanted clothes to the charity shops which they make hundreds from. And as most of us have said - why work hard and then give your money to someone else?

very interesting, and has made me think, sorry but no i dont feel quilty. i echo most comments made, and say i have worked all my life apart from when my daughter was young, we at one point lost everything nearly the house, would i have felt better if someone sold their bag and gave me the money no!!!!. i know give what i can to charity's, oxfam etc, and when i use my bags, i know that every stitch i paid for. ItsMyWorld summed it up perfectly IMHO alfie x

I used to feel guilty especially because I am very sensitive to the needs of others around me. I have read books, sought counseling over the years of how to strike a balance and how much am I responible for others and the end result that freed me from the feelings of guilt where when I read a small book by Tic Nat Han that helped me to see that my obligation is to focus on what is good "Flower Fresh" and then it will grow and seeds of goodness will be planted that way instead I used to think if I focused on the needy I could help eliminate the need but according to that book and the others including scripture by focusing on what is good,pure,lovely you cause it to grow in your life and thus in the world- We do tithe and make a real effort to be sensitive to the needs directly put into our lives and that is the best I can do. A counselor once told me that I could give away everything I owned and it would not fix the problem until that person, or group or Country changed their mindset to be able to rise above the need in their own lives- it is a complicated subject and I definitely understand where you are coming from-each of us come to our own conclusions about what we need to do.
On a surface response-I usually only feel guilty when I know I have overspent for my own budget and should not be buying at all!!! Then I feel really guilty!