Do you ever feel bad about buying and owning Chanel?

As long as it's your money, and you obtained it not by force or illegal means, you have every right to spend it anyway you want. If you feel guilty, maybe it's because you realize how fortunate you are to even be living in a developed country, as compared to other much less fortunate people. I guess it's alright to have such feelings some times. And you know, you could always devote time or money to charitable causes, if it really gets to you!

awww, you sound very sweet and sensitive :smile:

there's always gonna be people richer and poor, better off and worst off.. etc etc

not buying yourself a handbag isn't going to help anyone anywhere else (just like whether or not you finish your plate... the food won't magically appear in ethiopia instead)

if youre feeling particularly philanthropic, you can always volunteer your time to causes that directly benefit others

:tup:

ITA!!!!........I think some of us are feeling like this in one way or another especially with all the current issues surrounding us at this time, but I say just be great full for what you have and appreciate it cuz some don't have as much......but you not having a chanel bag won't but food on someone else's table but giving back in other ways is a wonderful thing to do!!!:woohoo::tup::woohoo:

No. But sometimes I do when it's close to home. If I'm talking to someone or in a group of people & someone mentions that they don't have the $$$$ for _____ or _____ happened and they have no money for it. I think here I am spending 3k for a Chanel and _____ needs money for a necessity.:hrmm: Yea it gets me thinkin'. But in the end I am usually okay with it. I worked alot of hrs. for what I have. It's my $$$ & if I spend it on Chanel :heart: or whatever,that's my business,no one elses.:smile:

I don't feel bad, even though I know the values of our developed society are wrong (material consumption = happyness LOL) I'm just too much of an egoist to ever feel bad for others... If someone was starving next to me then I'd give that person food, but you can't care about things happening thousands of miles away especially if you don't have control whats happening with your money... good your conscious about it though

the same feeling came over me several times.. most often, it's when one of my relatives ask me how much i paid for my bag this time and i shy away from the question. i know they think i'm horrible for spending that kind of money on a bag bc frankly, the money could have been used much more wisely.

it also doesnt help that i'm a first generation asian american, so my parents immigrated here with nothing and worked really hard to make a living... sometimes i think of how my mom worked long hours in a sweatshop and i am just torn with guilt!!!

Sometimes I feel guilty if I have bought a lot of stuff and I'm not getting lots of use out of it. I feel like I wasted the money and think about others I know who are struggling.

Maybe the solution is to stop buying for awhile and use what you have a lot? that works for me

I agree with all the other comments posted. If you work hard to earn the money for your Chanels, then you deserve to reward yourself with them. I have brief moments of guilt myself just before some larger Chanel purchases then remind myself of how hard I work. I deserve these bags!!! Plus I do contribute a lot to charity and work for a company that takes care of the homeless and mentally disabled. So in doing my job, I am helping the less fortunate and I also give clothes, household goods, etc... to other non-profit organizations as well. Have also donated to the San Diego Food Bank, doing these types of things contribute to assisting others less fortunate than ourselves. But always remember to take care of yourself in the process. So try not to feel bad about owning your Chanels, you deserve them!!

I agree with most of the comments already posted. But with the current state of the economy, my London spree is it for a while. Not that we are in immediate danger of anything but it does not seem right when so much is happening that directly will affect many people, including my DH and me who are both bankers. So I did feel bad about what I bought in london - the DH was not happy and I can only promise that until we are settled in Singapore - no more indulgent purchases.

As for what I already have, we both have worked hard for them - I have loved Chanel since I was in my late teens and I didn't get my first bag until well into my 30s so I waited a couple of decades when I could afford it. Still, I took inventory of my bags (non chanels included) and lets say the sum total as well as the number of bags is not something I am ever going to brag about. It is a lot of money that yes probably should have been spent more wisely .... having said that, never have I bought a bag at the expense of buying what is really needed.

Yes, I do sometimes and often feel bad about buying Chanel for many many reasons.

One being that one Chanel bag could buy SO much other things. I could buy so many non-designer clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty products, etc, for the price of just ONE Chanel.

Another is that yes, I am spending thousands on myself when I could be giving to others. I do volunteer once a week though, so I suppose that does *slightly* appease my conscience.

Lastly, I feel bad about owning Chanel when the people around me make me feel bad. I get a lot of comments from other people around my age (19) asking, "How can you afford Chanel?" "Are you rich?" "Why don't you buy Louis Vuitton, it's for younger people. Chanel is for old ladies." etc etc. I take those comments with a grain of salt, but it does bear down on me over time.

In the end, I buy Chanel because it makes me happy. I think we are all deserving of a bit of luxury in our lives. Some guys like to invest their money in cars, others like to invest their money in stocks, I like to invest my money in fashion. :yes: It's no one else's business but my own how I spend my money, because it's just that, MY money. Unless I'm stealing other people's identities and charging up a storm, it's no one's business but mine.

I love this post.

i feel guilty sometimes :shame:

I think buying a designer bag is ok as long as you do not deprive yourself from your basic neccessities. I buy these bags coz I deserve it, it is a gift to myself.. but i have limits if i know its already too much, then i back off.

work hard spend harder!!!:biggrin:

I know I was just thinking that my one Chanel bag could buy me 2 Full Tanks of gas a month for nearly 3 years-yes, you read that right THREE YEARS-when I look at it like that I feel terrible and stupid-a bag versus living!!!

I believe that purchasing expensive bags is great. However, I believe that donating time to charities is better. If you feel bad about spending money on expensive bags, donate your time to worthy causes and pay yourself "money" every hour you volunteer. Create a funding system that earns you money to spend on your bags, as long as you are financially secure enough to go and buy a Chanel bag, not put it on credit. That way, the more time you donate, the more "points" you earn to buy the bag you want. There are many organizations, other that the most "popular" that are in dire need of your help. While I do not think you should feel guilty of spending your (HARD) EARNED money on an expensive bag, why don't we make ourselves feel better about ourselves at the same time... I promise you will have some great stories to laugh about. I definately feel better about working at the Santa Barbara Rescue Mission...

I think thats a problem with many of those who are stil quite young and dont have a job. I am an example, 20, no job whatsoever, just at uni. But this year i got hooked on the Chanel syndrome and its killing me. Everyday i go online looking at pictures of chanel bags - especially flaps and also surf on ebay for good deals too! If i dont do that daily i feel awkward and from time to time i get my bf to drive me over to chanel just to window shop a bit. I currently own 3 chanel bags, a pair of earrings and lots of their nail polish- love them! But right now im still lemming for more - the burgundy patent flap. I checked my bank balance and its not good and i probs used alot of my parents "extra" money - donno how to explain to them when they ask. They havnt seen my bags yet. I feel absolutely guilty, but then again, i am absolutely sure that i wont give up on my bags that i have now. They are too beautiful.

P.S. thinking of making so money through shares... risky though!