Do you ever feel ashamed of your designer bags?

I never feel guilty or ashamed of my one or two nice, special things. I don't particularly own many items but what I have I love and I've worked hard for them.

As I said in a previous post. My handbags and shoes always fit, even when I'm having a fat day. So on those particular day's when I'm not at my best these one or two special items never fail to lift my mood.

I didn't carry my LV's in front of my friends at first... none of them is into bags, esp. not expensive ones. I do now and it's fine, but I still hide some new purchases from my flatmate when I buy a lot during a short period. She spends ~10 € on a bag and I'm pretty sure she'd be like that > :wtf: :yucky: :shrugs: :s :smash: if she knew what my Denim Speedy f.e. costs...

God, the dilemmas, thanks ShimmaPuff :confused1:
Sorry for the blasphemy, why do I feel so ashamed and so guilty, maybe it's my Catholic upbringing...
I guess this is a particular problem I have. I don't have the greatest self-esteem and maybe the guilt and shame stems from that, thinking i'm not good enough. Why should I have when others can't?
I think my co-worker does ok, though it does seem to be one of the few topics that get her agitated so i'm not sure. I just know that whenever she says anything about the cost of designer this and that or when she mentions salaries, I just keep quiet but probably nod in agreement, so I might look like a bit of a hypocrite or maybe she'll feel bad that she slagged off "idiots" who buy £1000 bags.
Maybe she'll get suspicious that i'm being paid too much! Maybe my boss will??
I'm so spineless, think my bag is safe in the cupboard for now...

I think you think to much. If you like the bag rock it like a rockstar!

I think you think to much. If you like the bag rock it like a rockstar!

I think you're right, I should think less and do more!

You can never please everyone, really, you shouldn't even try. Everyone has a choice on how they spend their money, if they don't have much, that's not my fault. There isn't really much I can do about that short of becoming a communist!

yes, i do!
sometime i feel ashamed carrying expensive designer bags that's obviously stated it's expensiveness.

that's why i'm more prone to non identifiable designer bags like balenciaga, not many people know them here, and i feel a lot "safer" from the thieves and people's eys LOL

It's been too long that I haven't spent a good dollar on myself! My son is 5 now and I'm done obsessing over his clothes and toys (I still give him the best, but it's not on my mind 24/7/365)

I'm doing good in school, I live on my own, I take care of my family and I am not ashamed of what I spend my money on.

To the OP,

First, as long as you're not stealing expensive designer bags, or getting them through illegal means, then it's no one's business how you spend your hard earned money. If you feel guilty about your spending, volunteer at a shelter or local community center, or where there is a need (nursing home, the pound, soup kitchens, the list is endless).

Second: you got your beautiful Prada as a gift from your bf. Show it off, and when someone asks, tell them the truth, that your wonderful BF gave it to you for Christmas. Then end it with, isn't he awesome?

Let the haters stew in their own juices. They're just jealous for the most part.

BTW, I don't have something like a Prada or anything of that sort, and I certainly have to get what I get on sale (with free shipping to boot). But I'm not about to tell others how they should spend their money. That's none of my business.

Do you ever feel ashamed of your designer bags?
I have a few, the most expensive being the Prada Antik Cervo Satchel I got as a gift from my BF for Christmas.
I've hardly ever worn it as i'm just a bit embarrassed of how much it cost.
What that amount of money would mean to a hell of a lot of people.
A co-worker of mine is very vocal about the ridiculous amounts of money people spend on shoes and bags so i'm always wary of taking my bags to work, so they mostly sit in a cupboard.
I know I shouldn't worry about what she thinks but I also don't want her to think i'm a flash cow, flaunting my designer bags when maybe she's struggling to make ends meet.

So should I start carrying my Prada to work and hope that she doesn't notice? I don't think she would say anything.

Her life (in part) is a sum of her decisions so she should not berate anyone for what they can afford, perhaps she should spend more time trying to improve her situation. In my experience those that go on long rants about how other people spend or even look are often unsatisfied with their own life.
I don't pay attention to the people who make judgmental comments because more often than not they have or would have their own vice. It may not be a bag, it might be pricey vacations, a vacation home, jewelry, or even an expensive doll collection etc.

With that said, I wouldn't carry bags with monogram or huge logos to work in (most) work situations.

I know what you mean! I have a lot of very nice bags for someone my age and do feel guilty as I am a teacher and so am in contact with people everyday with different backgrounds etc and I do have a realisation that it is not normal to have such nice things, we are all lucky to be in that small group of people that do, I think you can get carried away and forget that some people really struggle etc.

However that is life and life isn't fair, I use my LV speedy for work and keep my others for weekends. I do get pangs of guilt about how much I have spent on my bags but then when I think of all the other people that do I don't feel so guilty also me and my fiance work hard for our money.

I would never tell people I work with how much my bags cost as they would be shocked and it would probably put their backs up. I think it is fine to have nice things, we have to accept that a lot of things aren't fair, some people are more priveliged than others and get better chances than others to make something of themselves. That is why I wanted to be a teacher and cose to work in a state school in a deprived area, I feel as though I am giving something back.

A friend recently was extremely shocked and started ranting over the fact I spent over £200 on a pair of shoes. I asked him how much he spent on his 3 daughters on a monthly basis ie Dad can I have, Dad can I have. He admitted those extras probably cost him roughly £140 per month.

Due to my job I don't need to buy shoes and bags for work, so my purchases are pleasure only. I pointed out that I probably only buy 2 pairs of shoes and 1 pair of boots a year so I make those purchases count.

I carried my Chanel into Target the other day and I felt awful doing it. The difference in price between my outfit and theirs was so vast that I worried about everyone staring at me.

I didn't even pick up the things I came in for. I just felt so uncomfortable I left.

Usually I carry a Coach to target and I feel fine doing it, but carrying my Chanel I felt so out of place and all these people were staring at me.

Maybe they thought it was fake? I dunno.

God, the dilemmas, thanks ShimmaPuff :confused1:
Sorry for the blasphemy, why do I feel so ashamed and so guilty, maybe it's my Catholic upbringing...
I guess this is a particular problem I have. I don't have the greatest self-esteem and maybe the guilt and shame stems from that, thinking i'm not good enough. Why should I have when others can't?
I think my co-worker does ok, though it does seem to be one of the few topics that get her agitated so i'm not sure. I just know that whenever she says anything about the cost of designer this and that or when she mentions salaries, I just keep quiet but probably nod in agreement, so I might look like a bit of a hypocrite or maybe she'll feel bad that she slagged off "idiots" who buy £1000 bags.
Maybe she'll get suspicious that i'm being paid too much! Maybe my boss will??
I'm so spineless, think my bag is safe in the cupboard for now...

Bags are to be enjoyed, or what's the point of having them? In my experience, some others will always be jealous of something. We live in a competitive world and the workplace often is a microcosm of that.

If I let other's opinions affect what I wear, and what I buy then I am not living my life for myself. For me, my life is too short for me to let it slip by, being controlled by others.

Wear your prada proudly. You deserve it!

Well, I do think that there is such a thing as inappropriate in certain situations.....

But overall, unless Im not flaunting it with attitude or going so overboard with designer brands all over me....its just a material thing I enjoy and if others see it differently, then its more their problem than mine....

You and your co-worker work and earn money. For you, money might mean being able to choose between two different handbags but for her, money means making ends meet.

I have never felt "ashamed" of my handbags as such but perhaps uncomfortable in telling co-workers how much they cost. I think it's just a difference of opinions and choice. My co-worker would never spend over a few hundred on a bag but would spend a few thousand on a holiday.

Quite frankly, you should be able to carry whatever bag you like to work. Your co-worker shouldn't have to give you hard time about it. If she does just ignore her or tell her to go talk to your bag about it. Don't worry about what she thinks. As long as you like it, that's all that matters.