Do you ever check yourself?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. All this talk of Coach and debt and guilt got me thinking...so I put myself to work, I created a sheet that really broke my 2010 purchases down..

I made a section for my "prospects" "purchases" "gifts" "returns" and "sold"...

It was really interesting to see all the action that has taken place in one short month!

And, it was also a giant reality check for myself. It doesn't seem to be as massive as it is when you take it in small doses...$50 here, $200 there...but as the numbers ran into the 4 figures and inched towards the 5 figures I started to sweat. It's only been 38 days!!! I have to face the fact that I have problem!!!

Seeing it in black and white, laid out in a very no nonsense way has helped me see that I need to cut back, at least for February. But, on a high note, the women's shelter will be getting a pretty amazing haul!!

So my question is...do you keep a running tab of your purchases, or do you have a strict don't ask/don't tell policy when it comes to Coach...

2. I keep a Coach spreadsheet for myself.
    All purchases go on it.
    I have a column for where the item was purchased, if it's for me or for a gift, the orig price, the price I paid, the style number, etc.

All documented.
    I'm just like that, lol.

I like to see the total of the retail prices vs what I've paid.
    That's the bargain hunter in me.

3. I have a list of every purse with pictures for my home owners insurance and I have a list of what I think I could get for each one and what I paid. it's not pretty but no one sees it but me.

4. I keep all the receipts, care cards and tags in a Coach gift box in my nightstand. My collection is revolving all the time. I am currently purging some more items from my collection, and am banned from buying bags (but the very occasional accessory purchase is allowed, LOL). I have a couple bags that are NWT and never used that I will NEVER use, so I need to return them. For a while last fall, I was out-of-control, but I have gotten a grip on things and am being more responsible. It's easy to lose track of things when you are buying an item at a time, though, that's true. :biggrin:

5. LUCKILY, in the past 38 days I've kept it under $2K (my little budget counter is shot!) But in all fairness, I am selling a BIG something to fund a new BIG something... so I guess that takes it all down to $700ish... (which was PRE ban) So I'm still at $27.43 left for my ban lol

6. I've always done the homeowners pictures and things like that...but I've never gone, month by month, and broken it down. It was a SHOCK.

My husband told me I basically worked a week for Coach...which is true. I've spent almost half a paycheck on my "collection" this month which isn't some I'd ever done before. And to be honest, it's not something I ever saw myself doing.

All in all, it's been a wake up, I have to learn to walk away better!

7. WOW! I am so impressed by you!!!

8. 90046, I do that too! :smile:

9. I got crazy this past month spending more than 2K for bags. I love my bags and have never sold any. I think its time to start rethinking about what I buy and what I need...

10. I told you how do to that - try it again and really think about it before you put back in closet

11. I do keep a spreadsheet of all my purchases, even the little ones. I do need to take a picture of each one.... in fact, I think I should go around and take pictures of all my rooms for home insurance purposes. Oh, the things we do...

12. I just take pictures as I get something new in. I have original tags on most of them and receipts in the bags as well. Might be better to keep them separate in case of a fire I guess but I have basic renter's insurance. My collection cost way more than I want it to be but I got great deals and I'm more of a collector than anything else. I haven't shopped lately cause nothing really catches my eye - which is good. If I'm itching to shop, I concentrate on the ones I've wanted for a while but just never got it yet.

13. I have a spread sheet too, I think overall I've paid about 30% or less than what the MSRP was.

And it is a reality check to see all my little guys on there in black and white.

14. I don't really "keep track", but I don't buy/sell/trade like I used to. I've pretty much put a stop to that over the past 6 months-1 year. I have mentally gone through and somewhat tallied all of my past purchases and i'm ashamed by them...I had so many bags go through and I regret getting so caught up in the whole thing.

When you start to think a bag you've had for 2 months is "old", you need to reevaluate!!

15. I've never thought of keeping a spreadsheet. I know my purchases really increased once I joined tPF, but I got it back under control when I realized what I was spending vs. how often each bag was being used (if at all). I'm back to making better choices and not have so many bags (although I do slip up once and a while!). I think keeping a spreadsheet is a really good idea. I'm going to give that a try!