Do you count people's items in the express checkout?

I don't really count. I do a quick scan but so far I haven't seen seen people with over the limit lining at the express lane. I have been lucky so far. But when I have 2-3 items on hands I might sqeeze in the pharmacy counter and pay along with my medications so I don't have to line up twice!

I'll say something if they're really over. I was at Whole Foods not too long ago, and a guy had 30 items in the 8 items or less line, and I freaked out. "Are you too stupid to count properly?" I yelled out to embarrass him. The people behind me clapped and the cashier laughed. LOL, it's my inner Jersey girl.

At some stores the cashiers aren't allowed to say anything based on the whole "the customer is always right." idea, but one told my mom they can make the person move out of line if anything customer says something.

I start counting when it looks like the person in front of me is obviously over the limit. I never try to "sneak in" over the limit but a couple times i was over by 1 or 2 items and I apologized to the cashier loud enough so that the person behind me could hear (in case he/she counted my items!!). I NEVER saw a cashier in the express lane turn away a customer no matter how big the cart.

All the time, what else is there to do in line ?

I'm also really fascinated by what people buy, I think it's kind of silly - like you know a guy is probably single when you see reheatable foods being pulled out of the cart. :graucho:

I've only seen a cashier chastise someone once, I felt really bad for everyone at the end of the line since this woman was not remorseful at all, and in fact was quite indignant at the fact that she wasn't being served - oh she refused to move. That was lovely.

Yup, I count! But we hardly go to the express line, we usually buy a cart full of groceries, only we are in a hurry we divide the groceries so they won't tel us anything!!! But one time there was this couple who were wayyy beyond the 15 items, I still said something though, I thought it was not fair, the lady got mad at me!!

I've actually never noticed anyone with too many items in the express line where I live. A lot of times if they can tell I'm in a rush and I only have a couple items, they'll let me go ahead of them -- and I do the same, often, too!

I don't count but if it's obvious that it's over 10 items, it peeves me bad.
I saw this lady (late 50s - 60s) at the express checkout with a whole basket of items, it was about 30 items! I was so mad and she knew she was over the "10 items or less" limit but she didn't care because obviously she knew that no one was going to say anything because she was an old lady :mad:

LOL I had an elederly woman cut in front of me (I was with my hubby and kids) at the grocery store. The line was very long, and she just buffaloed her way right in front of us! The guy in front of her was an elderly man, and he looked at her like she was insane. (She was close enough to him, that she might as well been in his pocket!) My kids were really angry,they were 4 and 7 at the time, so I just said very loudly,"Some people, no matter how old they are, never learn to have manners. To cut in line is extremely rude and selfish." Then my husband, who never hesitates to say what's on his mind says," Well, she looks like she's 100, so she doesn't have a lot of time left. She needs to go first!" ROTFLMAO I do believe in respecting your elders, however, that does NOT give them the right to do anything they damn well please.

^ LMAO! I worked in a seniors home for a summer and some of them think just because they are old they can do whatever they want!

Sometimes I count, if it looks like they have too many items. I don't say anything though. I have seen a few people turned away by cashiers but usually only if they have a ton of items.

I tend to go to a regular till though even when I only have a few items because the lines are usually shorter than the express line(s).

I don't count items..but I do look out for my own personal grocery store pet peeve..... the shoppers in front of you who won't/don't use the plastic separator-thingy to distinguish his/her order from mine.

How freakin' hard is it to pick up the little plastic tube and lay it on the belt???? I always do it, and it really ticks me off when people don't. It's just inconsiderate to the person behind you, and to the cashier.

I hope that someday the cashier keeps going and charges half of my groceries to the rude person in front of me!! :P