Do you consider Velo professional looking?

salejolie

Jun 21, 2012
I finally got a change to see a bbag in person and I think I'm leaning towards the velo. I've seen it in a tan color with rggh and a black one with rggh and I'm really torn. I'm almost middle-aged (at least that's what I tell myself) and when I progress in my career in the coming years I want a bag that reflects my esthetic but also looks presentable in an office (most likely local govt). Holding the velo by the top handles it looks almost briefcase-like, but modern. Am I crazy? Do you feel one color is more professional? What do you think of the velo in the workplace? Pics and suggestions welcomed.

The Velo is one of the more professional "mature" bags by Balenciaga, in my opinion. I like the fact that it's still similar to the City but it's big enough for office and work. I don't think you have to worry about whether it'll be unprofessional in the workplace, and as for color, it's hard to choose because they both seem like good neutrals. If you were looking for something that was less noticeable by coworkers (if that's what you're worried about), I'd say to go with RH instead of RGGH. I prefer the tan and RGGH combo though cuz they're both in the brown/warm color family.

^ I agree. If my RH Velo weren't bright pink, I'd have no problem taking it into an interview/formal meeting. It's a comfortable and a really versatile bag.

Velo has a very nice shape when carried, the sides don't collaspe as much as a city, if you know what I mean. Definitely go for a darker color with gold HW or rose gold HW. I think you'd look very modern and trendy yet "serious" for your work.
The only problem I had with the Velo was... it's extremely slouchy once you put it down, I also had problem putting paper size file into the bag when you hang the bag in the crook of your arm with it's smaller top opening. Now I use a dark night part time for work.

No, you're not crazy ;) The Velo has a very polished look to it when carried by the handles. It is almost structured looking, carpenter bag shaped. I think it would look particularly sophisticated in the tan color you like.

I agree with the others, the Velo looks most "polished" in a dark color, with GH and carried by the handles

But if it's corporate, or you're meeting with clients, I wouldn't use it.

I'm in the same boat and have a Velo Anthra with RGGH. I've worn it to the office before and felt comfortable.
But when I need to meet with clients, I use my Black city with GSH. I think it looks more professional.

To be honest, I don't think any of the Moto line bags work for the corporate world. But, if your office environment is more relaxed (local government is too vague :P ), you may be able to pull it off just fine.

I work for what I am pretty sure is the last company on earth not to have gone business casual full-time, and just bought a black Velo with classic hardware. Like any bag, I think it works with some outfits and not others. I think I will be able to use it with just about everything other than suits (which I only wear on very limited occasions) and really polished dresses. It's a great bag!

I agree with the others, the Velo looks most "polished" in a dark color, with GH and carried by the handles

But if it's corporate, or you're meeting with clients, I wouldn't use it.

I'm in the same boat and have a Velo Anthra with RGGH. I've worn it to the office before and felt comfortable.
But when I need to meet with clients, I use my Black city with GSH. I think it looks more professional.

To be honest, I don't think any of the Moto line bags work for the corporate world. But, if your office environment is more relaxed (local government is too vague :P ), you may be able to pull it off just fine.

ITA with this. I have brought my Bals to office a few times, but I use my more "structured" bags for the most part in the office, and especially when in important meetings.

It depends on your work setting too, as BPC mentioned, so depending on that, it just might work for you. :biggrin:

I agree, the Velo looks most professionnal in a dark color (black for example) and especially carried by the handles.
I'd choose GH and not the tassel version which is too casual according to me.

Sorry about the career/workplace being vague. It's just that I'm not there yet but I certainly want to look professional for interviews and once I land the job! I think I'm really leaning towards black or another dark color, as the tan color looks a bit light (after staring at the picture for hours at work, ha!).

Depends on what the local govt job is, I guess. I live in a big city but used to be in the energy development business & had to visit rural county courthouses on a weekly basis to visit the Assessor's office to look up property descriptions when we were negotiating with private landowners. I always carried my trusty MJ Stella (great bag for laptop/files) & I don't think anyone ever noticed my purse. If you're working in a low key county govt office I don't think anyone will care! Even more so with a rural municipality office.

But if you're about to graduate from law school & are about to be an Assistant DA in a high profile urban district or something it's a totally different ballpark, know what I mean?

The Velo is a great looking bag, transitions well from work to play. I think if you want to chiefly use it as a work bag, try to pick a work-like color such as black or anthracite or maybe one of the brown or tan neutrals :smile:

I tend to use my Velos for more casual stuff because of the long shoulder strap and ability to carry a lot of stuff in them. So I will take them on weekend trips, to concerts, when I have flights, to the grocery store, anywhere I need both hands free or might do a lot of walking or shopping.

I carry all my Balenciaga bags to work, my office is very professional but pretty casual dress and I rarely need to take a bag "to a meeting." When I do have meetings (conferences, or meetings at a government office), I use my Bal Work bags. I can fit a legal pad and my Macbook Air in it with no problem, and I think they look polished and stylish but not flashy (you don't want to be flashy at a government office).

I think it depends on what industry you are in. In most industries I think it would be professional looking in a dark color, but if it's a conservative place then it might be too trendy to be appropriate