do you color your own hair?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I've been doing my own color for several years. I've got it down to where it's a really nice auburn color and I get lots of compliments on my hair.
We've just moved to a house that we totally remodeled. First time I needed to do my roots I found I was really nervous about getting color in the tub or on the sink or floor. Also didn't want to rinse my bottle in the new kitchen sink.

So I asked my hairdresser what she would charge to do my roots. She wants $100 and I'd need to go minimum every 4-6 weeks.

My DH wants to set me up with a hair color station in the garage. Hang a mirror over the sink and install a spray thingie. I was going to reject that idea and go to the salon but I got tons of compliments on my hair last week. So I'm thinking if my hair isn't going to look significantly better and it's only the mess, maybe I should find a way to keep doing it myself.

Any suggestions on doing home color and not damaging the home?

I remodeled my bathroom before dying my MIL's hair and I was super nervous because my MIL does not have good eyesight and I knew she would get the dye everywhere. As soon as she finished rinsing it out, I went in the bathroom and cleaned up. No problem.

I've colored at home for 20+ years. Before I start coloring, I remove any textiles from the bathroom - roll up my bathroom rug, take down the shower curtain. I also have a supply of old ratty towels that I use to line the bathroom with. I lay them over the floor, counter, let hang down over white cabinet fronts - basically any surfaces I'm concerned about. It's a little bit of a process, but honestly probably only takes me 5-10 minutes and it's worth it to avoid any stains.

The lady who shampooed me last time at my salon told me she rinses her color outside with a hose when the weather cooperates. LOL.

I think your hubby's garage idea is great, though!

Reactions: ColdSteel
I've colored at home for 20+ years. Before I start coloring, I remove any textiles from the bathroom - roll up my bathroom rug, take down the shower curtain. I also have a supply of old ratty towels that I use to line the bathroom with. I lay them over the floor, counter, let hang down over white cabinet fronts - basically any surfaces I'm concerned about. It's a little bit of a process, but honestly probably only takes me 5-10 minutes and it's worth it to avoid any stains.

The lady who shampooed me last time at my salon told me she rinses her color outside with a hose when the weather cooperates. LOL.

So we set up the sink in the garage. Put a mirror up and bought a spray thing that's marketed for bathing dogs (attaches to end of faucet). It was kinda rough as my aim with the spray thing was off sometimes and got water all over but no harm there. But I had a hard time rinsing the top of my head thoroughly. I got it done though and with practice, maybe I'll get better at it.

I do everything by myself at home, I have actually everything for gel nail art and nail care. But if there is a special event, I prefer to use a professional service, I'm just an amateur :smile:

I have done my own hair for many years. I have a set of black towels I use just for hair coloring, and I place them all around the sink, I cover the sink with a towel draped over, and some towels are on the floor near me. I make sure a garbage can is close by, too. The towels can get stained and messy and I do not care. I just drape them all over the sink and surrounding area and place the coloring and supplies on the towel. I do remove all bathroom rugs as well, far too many got splatter over the years so I have learned.

I do everything by myself at home, I have actually everything for gel nail art and nail care. But if there is a special event, I prefer to use a professional service, I'm just an amateur :smile:

when I did my hair at the old house I covered the counter and floor around the vanity with newspaper. When we moved to the newly remodeled house I found myself worrying not only about getting a spot of color somewhere when applying it but also about all the (red) color rinsing out in the shower/tub. I have a ton of hair.
So for now, I'll see if I can do better next time in the garage sink.

Yep! Have done my own (both bleach and dye) at home. Remove anything that can get stained (rugs, nice towels) and I'm good. Somehow I've managed to never dye my shower curtain in the whole process (knock on wood). I have an absolutely abused J.Crew sherpa hoodie that's full of holes that I wear during the bleach/dye process since I don't seem to have much luck with pinning a towel over my shoulders. Easy to zip off. My shower has a removable head so it's easier to wash with. For all the times I've dyed my hair my bathtub has recovered!

Reactions: Snackpackdino