Do You Buy Synthetic Bags?

Jul 26, 2013
So I am usually a leather kind of gal but I saw a super cute tote at BCBG for $200, but of course it is not a leather bag but some kind of synthetic material made to resemble stingray. I don't mind paying a lot for a quality made bag, but I do think $200 is a lot if the bag is not made to last. Does anybody have experiences with either BCBG bags or synthetic material bags? How long do these types of bags typically last? Would you spend money on one?

Last edited:
It SO depends on the design and the quality of the material! I have Guess PU bags that have lasted for years and years with no trouble but my By Malene Birger tote which I bought preloved but in excellent condition is already broken (a corner has a hole in it) after a few times of use. :shrugs:
I've gotten into leather bags only recently, bought my 1st one a little over 3 yrs ago and I have no desire to go back to buying synthetic leather. Leather & canvas and (the Longchamp Le Pliage) nylon for me, pls...

Depends on the price. I have a few Longchamps which I love and will continue buying. But I find it hard to pay €1000 for non leather bags like LV canvas or Stella McCartney totes although I like the designs.

Yes, I ever bought a few before, but never paid more than $50 for each. It just isn't made to last for decades so I pay accordingly. But not anymore, ever since I discovered leather handbags!

I have a synthetic bag I bought at Gucci outlet. It's my everyday bag and it gets a lot of abuse but no problems. I think the handle might be leather though. I paid $350 I believe

It SO depends on the design and the quality of the material! I have Guess PU bags that have lasted for years and years with no trouble but my By Malene Birger tote which I bought preloved but in excellent condition is already broken (a corner has a hole in it) after a few times of use. :shrugs:
I've gotten into leather bags only recently, bought my 1st one a little over 3 yrs ago and I have no desire to go back to buying synthetic leather. Leather & canvas and (the Longchamp Le Pliage) nylon for me, pls...

Interesting. I guess it really varies, huh? I buy a lot of BCBG/Max Azria clothes but never a bag, so I can't say if the quality for their bags is there. But admittedly I've never had a problem with their stuff before.

Depends on the price. I have a few Longchamps which I love and will continue buying. But I find it hard to pay €1000 for non leather bags like LV canvas or Stella McCartney totes although I like the designs.

I was briefly considering a Dior Panarea but I just couldn't justify spending $1400 for canvas. Leather, yes.

If the question has to do with how long synthetic bags lasts, I don't think you will have problem in comparison to leather. Generally the problem with synthetic material bags is that they don't look as nice as leather (for the most part (and obviously not for every bag), i feel like they look cheap). Having bought CHEAP synthetic bags before from places like Aldo and just street vendors in Asia, the way a bag lasts whether synthetic or leather is really how you treat the bag. If you are roughing it with a bag, no matter leather or synthetic or canvas it's not gonna last. Granted if you buy super cheap bags from street vendors there's a risk the colours will start to peel, but honestly I haven't had the issues with any of the synthetic bags.

I would not spend thousands of dollar on a synthetic material bag. However I would buy synthetic bags if if I really like the bag and if I find the price is reasonable enough. Mind you, beyond Longchamp, i don't think i have any synthetic bags over $10, most of which i've bought when i was much younger and have mostly been donated. Nowadays, I only use two of them on rare occasions. One is a clutch and one is a purse you can also wear as a backpack - good for biking.

I have but also never over $50. $200 for a synthetic bag? I guess only you can decide if a $200 synthetic bag is worth it to you. I have never encountered a synthetic bag that is three figures and up that I was willing to pay for.

I have bought Stella McCartney bags, but I never go for the faux leather bags I see at Zara or places like that. I just don't think they are good in the long term and will not wear well over time. I also don't love the plastic-y feel.
Still, I think if this bags sings to you, try it out! It's not a HUGE investment and you might just love it!

I have only one coated canvas bag, and that is an Alviero Martini that I paid $365 for on a cruiseship. The handles are leather. Other than that, I just cannot bring myself to wear vinyl because I hate the way it wears and feels next to my skin.

My BMB PU tote retailed around 260 €. Now, I've been waiting for 3 weeks to find out what they're going to do about my broken bag - I'm not optimistic but we shall see. Probably the last synthetic leather bag I'll ever buy...