Do you buy Preloved?

Vivien500

Jan 25, 2017
I am trying desperately to decide if I should buy new or preloved. If you buy preloved, where do you buy from and what makes you choose used over new? I know price is the obvious one, but I am worried I will buy preloved and then be disappointed in the condition!

There are SO MANY preloved classic flaps/boys in various sizes that are black with ghw; I feel overwhelmed trying to decide what to do and which to pick!

If this is your first piece it may be a good idea to go to the boutique and see what's available and try things on. If the price isn't good, or if the bag you want has been discontinued, then preloved is a good option. Knowing your seller is so important. There is a list of recommended sellers for Chanel that is very helpful. Take a good look at the photos that the seller has and do not hesitate to ask for more. Getting the bag authenticated pre purchase is always a great idea whenever possible. I have purchased from eBay and Malleries and have been very pleased with my bags. Some sellers may not disclose odors so definitely ask as that could be an issue. For me, if I ask a seller for additional pictures and they don't want to supply them, I move on. I hope this helps in some way. Also, take your time, do your research. The perfect bag will be there for you. Good luck.

I would by new for my first one just to have the "experience". After that, I've only purchased pre-loved. the cost savings is a big factor. You just have to be good and do your homework. Ask for lots of photos, get it authenticated, and purchase from reputable sellers. Some sellers allow for returns in case you don't like what you receive.

I would buy new if it is your first Chanel. I would only buy pre-loved if I wanted a Chanel that is no longer in production or if I had experience buying Chanels. If you do buy pre-loved now or in the future, get it authenticated PRIOR to purchasing no matter where you buy it from. eBay, Ann's Fabulous Finds, Yoogi's Closet are just of a few ways to buy pre-loved. Do your research and try on some bags in a Chanel Boutique or other retailers...to see what style suits you best. Good Luck!

All of my Chanels have been preloved but thats because all the styles I love are discontinued, and I'm easing into the brand and don't want to stress too much about using them because I have a toddler. I only buy from Fashionphile and Yoogiscloset, or a seller I have dealt with a lot on eBay. Even preloved Chanels can be very expensive so I want to know it's been "approved" by them first. Then I have it authenticated twice (first here, and then second through a paid authentication service). You need to be really careful, but you can definitely save and have access to styles that are no longer available. I wonder if the quality might not be better as we have seen with many other luxury brands, but seeing as I don't have anything new, I can't personally speak to that. Maybe others can. Good luck deciding!

I purchased all of my Chanel items preowned (although one was new & never used).

I buy preloved because:
• I adore pretty bags but I have other financial priorities: investing, saving, my home, traveling, and jewelry in that order - then bags. Buying discounted preloved premier bags allows me to be indulgent without ever getting in the way of my more important goals or priorities.
• I'm thrifty by nature so I feel brilliant and victorious when I score a bag for a significant discount. (Hey, it's silly but it makes me happy. LOL!)
• I prefer single flap jumbos which are discontinued.
• I like the quality of the materials (the older, more sturdy lamb, the real 24k gold plated hardware) These are no longer available new.
• I hate going into a boutique because I hate to shop.
• I don't ever need to be the first person to have something. If I like it then I buy it whenever I feel like buying it - the day it comes out or a decade later.
• If I get tired of a bag, I'll sell it. If I'm selling preloved, I'm selling off a lower cost basis than if I'd have purchased it new. I've let someone else take the majority (or all) of the depreciation hit. So I make up more of my money.

That all being said, I'm not completely opposed to buying new. I just don't see a compelling reason to do so 90% of the time.

As others have said, when your bag, please get it authenticated no matter from whom you buy. I rarely do authentications before I buy because the bag I want can get snapped up. I know that if it's fake I have protections with the retailers and my credit card. But, I also know what I'm looking for and that is a first line of defense. Knock on wood I haven't purchased a fake Chanel.

Once I get my bag, I send it in to Leather Surgeons who does an authentication with the bag in his hands and then completely cleans the bag. If any refurbishment is needed (I try to buy like new but sometimes there is something that needs to be done) he does it. I can then feel good that I have a clean pristine and most importantly authentic bag. (With non Chanel bags, I do two online authentications)

Good luck!

I bought my first chanel pre-loved and let me tell you I was disappointed in the quality, not going to lie. It looked different in the picture as opposed to seeing it in real life.. then again I didnt know that there was a difference in leather (like washed and unwashed caviar for example).. anyway, if your going to buy one.. research the heck out of the bag and go to the store and decide if you want it pre-loved or new... but if the bag is discountinued then I suggest that you only purchase from tried and true sellers that will actually give you pictures that doesnt hide the actual quality. Studio lighting can be pretty deceiving.

If you are buying preloved, go for purses in very good condition. Ask questions if the photos are not clear. It is really disappointing to receive a purse that feels really used.

Also make sure you pay really close attention to ALL of the measurements. Sometimes I even use pieces of paper and reconstruct the measurements to make sure it is exactly what I have in my mind.

I have purchased new and preowned. I find myself using the preloved more because I didn't pay so much for it and I'm not as afraid wear them. Good luck.

I have purchased on Malleries, the Real Real and Fmasavoric. I highly recommend fmasavoric.com as he puts so many photos and the items are definitely as described.

I purchased all of my Chanel items preowned (although one was new & never used).

I buy preloved because:
• I adore pretty bags but I have other financial priorities: investing, saving, my home, traveling, and jewelry in that order - then bags. Buying discounted preloved premier bags allows me to be indulgent without ever getting in the way of my more important goals or priorities.
• I'm thrifty by nature so I feel brilliant and victorious when I score a bag for a significant discount. (Hey, it's silly but it makes me happy. LOL!)
• I prefer single flap jumbos which are discontinued.
• I like the quality of the materials (the older, more sturdy lamb, the real 24k gold plated hardware) These are no longer available new.
• I hate going into a boutique because I hate to shop.
• I don't ever need to be the first person to have something. If I like it then I buy it whenever I feel like buying it - the day it comes out or a decade later.
• If I get tired of a bag, I'll sell it. If I'm selling preloved, I'm selling off a lower cost basis than if I'd have purchased it new. I've let someone else take the majority (or all) of the depreciation hit. So I make up more of my money.

That all being said, I'm not completely opposed to buying new. I just don't see a compelling reason to do so 90% of the time.

As others have said, when your bag, please get it authenticated no matter from whom you buy. I rarely do authentications before I buy because the bag I want can get snapped up. I know that if it's fake I have protections with the retailers and my credit card. But, I also know what I'm looking for and that is a first line of defense. Knock on wood I haven't purchased a fake Chanel.

Once I get my bag, I send it in to Leather Surgeons who does an authentication with the bag in his hands and then completely cleans the bag. If any refurbishment is needed (I try to buy like new but sometimes there is something that needs to be done) he does it. I can then feel good that I have a clean pristine and most importantly authentic bag. (With non Chanel bags, I do two online authentications)

Good luck!

Which Leather Surgeons do you use?

Reactions: Vivien500
I am trying desperately to decide if I should buy new or preloved. If you buy preloved, where do you buy from and what makes you choose used over new? I know price is the obvious one, but I am worried I will buy preloved and then be disappointed in the condition!

There are SO MANY preloved classic flaps/boys in various sizes that are black with ghw; I feel overwhelmed trying to decide what to do and which to pick!
I've only owned 2 Chanel handbags and they were both preloved. One was from Ebay years ago (since sold) and one was from Yoogi's closet. I was pretty happy with Yoogi's closet and their return policy. You have 60 days to return and they refund you with your original payment method. So if you do look there, look for their, NEW, LIKE NEW or gently used condition and check out the pics.

I had ordered 2 Chanel's and had return 1 and it was very easy. Both bags were in great condition! The photos were very detailed and the flaws they showed in the picture, were hardly anything at all when I saw the bag in person. If I could afford a Chanel, it would be nice to buy it in the store to have that experience. I have purchased, an SLG, costume jewelry and makeup in the store so I'm good with those experiences for now... I think I like the preloved option also because I don't have to worry as much about the bag. When I get anything new, I'm so hesitant to use it because I don't want to go through it getting that first scuff from me. But preloved, already had some wear so I don't worry as much. Hope that helps in some way.

Reactions: Vivien500

There is a company called leather surgeons:
http://www.leathersurgeons.com/
Gerry and his family run it and are very helpful. They do in person authentication and if you need any work done on a bag the authentication is complementary. They have a history of working on chanel bags through their company and for chanel also.

I bought my first chanel pre-loved and let me tell you I was disappointed in the quality, not going to lie. It looked different in the picture as opposed to seeing it in real life.. then again I didnt know that there was a difference in leather (like washed and unwashed caviar for example).. anyway, if your going to buy one.. research the heck out of the bag and go to the store and decide if you want it pre-loved or new... but if the bag is discountinued then I suggest that you only purchase from tried and true sellers that will actually give you pictures that doesnt hide the actual quality. Studio lighting can be pretty deceiving.

If you are buying preloved, go for purses in very good condition. Ask questions if the photos are not clear. It is really disappointing to receive a purse that feels really used.

Also make sure you pay really close attention to ALL of the measurements. Sometimes I even use pieces of paper and reconstruct the measurements to make sure it is exactly what I have in my mind.

I have purchased new and preowned. I find myself using the preloved more because I didn't pay so much for it and I'm not as afraid wear them. Good luck.

I have purchased on Malleries, the Real Real and Fmasavoric. I highly recommend fmasavoric.com as he puts so many photos and the items are definitely as described.
These ladies make good points about making sure you get the right bag. Please know what you're buying so you aren't surprised. For example, double flap bags won't hold as much as "regular" bags of the same size. Strap drop matters - especially on totes. So be educated about what you want.

Also, I alluded to it but wanted to expressly state it. As a newbie please buy new / like new condition. It's too hard for a newbie to know what can be fixed so the issue disappears and what will just be a so so patch. And pleas buy your first bag from a reputable seller so you have protection and a decent expectation that you'll get what was described.

There is a company called leather surgeons:
http://www.leathersurgeons.com/
Gerry and his family run it and are very helpful. They do in person authentication and if you need any work done on a bag the authentication is complementary. They have a history of working on chanel bags through their company and for chanel also.
@nicole0612 - thanks for sharing this info. @jkss - their phone number is (215) 794-8676. They are the "behind the scenes" shop that does Chanels' US repairs so they are very knowdledgeable and very good.

Wow this is all such amazing advice, thank you! I am going to go to the boutique tomorrow. I've been researching for a few weeks now so I know the ones I want to look at for reference. I've used Leather Surgeons before so I'll definitely consider them for authentication and bag spa services.
Reading all these posts has made me sure I want to go preloved. I'm just much more comfortable with the idea and I have time to find the perfect bag once I work out what that is

I typically buy from boutiques but when it came to reissue (227) i decided to go for a preloved version and bought it from Trendlee (via Vestiaire Collective as I live in the UK). My logic here was: the bag was amazing condition despite being 8 years old, it was authenticated and the seller was also reputable and price with import duties was great. I've learnt while browsing pre-loved sites and here on the forum that reissues won't hold their value well so couldn't justify paying £4.5k (>$5k) for a bag that will lose 30-50% of it's value after leaving the boutique.