Do you Buy Final Sale Items Online?

francot1

O.G.
Jan 24, 2009
Although I have purchased final sale items instore, I have never bought anything online. I have seen some great deals on Gilt, Rue la la, etc but I am afraid to purchase without actually trying on or seeing the item. I have a small torso and long legs and I do not fit into one size consistently. In pants I can take a size 2, 4, or 6 depending on the style and cut. Also, I find with my small torso that many shirts and blouses are extremely long on me.

For those of you that do purchase final sale items online, do you always take the same size? Have you ever been stuck with an item, that did not fit? At what price point (% off) would you not purchase an item marked final sale?

Any info or experiences you can share would be most helpful.

Last edited:
I only buy final sale items if I'm familiar with the designer. In some cases, I've already tried on the item at a b&m store. Even if an item is 70% off, I won't buy it if I'm not sure. If I don't wear it, it's just wasted $$ to me. On the flip side, I'd buy an item at 25% off final sale if I knew it would fit and it's something that I've been eyeing.

I used to buy on final sales a lot. It all ended up going on Ebay. I haver kept maybe 1 item out of 10. I am not doing it anymore, unless I really know the brand and their measurements.

p-WA

Gilt isn't final sale, however I cannot speak for Rue La La as I have never purchased from them. I have purchased multiple items from Gilt over time, and I've had to return a couple items. They provide a free return label so all you need to do is drop the boxed item at a UPS drop spot. Typically Gilt will only issue a "store" credit for returned items; however, I have called CS in the past and had them agree to refund my CC. ;)

i'll only buy final sale clothing if i'm familiar with the designer's sizing. it's hard for me to find things that fit me because i'm short and stick thin. with accessories though, i have no problem buying final sale items.

Gilt isn't final sale, however I cannot speak for Rue La La as I have never purchased from them. I have purchased multiple items from Gilt over time, and I've had to return a couple items. They provide a free return label so all you need to do is drop the boxed item at a UPS drop spot. Typically Gilt will only issue a "store" credit for returned items; however, I have called CS in the past and had them agree to refund my CC. ;)

Gilt and Rue La la are generally not final sale, and allow returns. This past weekend Gilt had a final sale with lots of different designers, and I have seen Rue La La do this also. The merchandise is marked down more and I saw many great bargains, but I was afraid to pull the trigger as I did not know whether the items I wanted would fit. I was amazed at how quickly some of the items sold out. I never would have thought that many people would buy something that could possibly not fit and never be returned.

I rarely buy final sale items online - even the "return" policies of RLL , BBOS, and Gilt are credit only.

Sometimes, if the price is right, I will make that gamble. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. If the price was low and I can take it to the tailor for a few dollars more, it's still a bargain.

depends on the price!! For many designer items I would never pay full price but if it is a final sale and the markdown is significant enough for me to take the chance then I might go for it!

Usually, my online purchases to me are final sale. Because some stores are a hassle to do a return/exchange. I don't like sending my purchase back to the store for a refund/exchange.

so true! and sometimes the shipping costs really make it not worth it to return

but I have purchased items final sale online from BCBG and BR and I was able to return at BR with that said I have only done this a few times and the items didn't cost too much

I rarely purchase final sales online (i.e. site marks as no returns/exchanges) but to me I don't purchase online unless I'm 99% sure I'm not returning it, cuz I live in Canada and most of the sites I buy from are US -based, so it would cost me more to return it if I needed to!

I've only had one item not be final sale on Gilt. I've found that tons of their merchandise is final sale. Granted I only ever shop for jewelry and accessories on there. To me it's not worth the risk and hassle of clothing.