do ur dog/cat wear collar?

my cats were forced to wear collars for about a year... because one of my cats decided that he wanted to became an escape artist.... if anyone who wasn't used to come in and out of my apartment, he would stand near the door by the opening and dash out as soon as the door was open....

so i bought them all collars...(and i also got them cute little engraved star charms) all breakaways... because i'm just scared to death they would get the collar stuck on something... well.. they were all very good with their collars... EXCEPT the one that NEEDED it... I didn't like putting them on tight... but they weren't necessarily loose... but this cat would figure out how to get his jaw under it and pop it off!!! UGH!!!! so i eventually gave up... and took all the collars off because the one that needed it figured out how to get it off so i figured it was useless...

I have two dogs that are indoors unless we take them out. They used to wear collars but now we leave them off. They like to play and wrestle all the time and one time my male dogs teeth got caught up in the female dogs collar. It was strangling her and by the time we got the collar cut off she was coughing up blood and had to be taken to the emergency animal clinic. They had to keep her there overnight in an oxygen tank because one of her lungs had collapsed. It was one of the most awful experiences of my life. I just wanted to warn everyone that leaving collars on your dogs can end up very bad. :crybaby:

My dog wears hers. My previous dogs do the same as well.

A few reasons for doing so is...I hear where they are in the house (assuming they are walking around and not sitting there). If they escape, there is a basic way to ID them/someone to contact me.

Also...I've conditioned my dog to "want" to wear her collar. All you need to do is when you give them a bath, you take off the collar. Then, when you are done...you "reward" them by saying they are good and giving them their collar. The collar in a way, signifies they are done w/ their bath (which they are happy about). Not only that, but after awhile, they kinda treat their collar like their "bling" because when I attempt to put on their collar for any reason...they wag their tail. (It is pretty cute).

I don't keep one on my dog. She's a digger and likes to find ways to stick her head under the fence. I was lucky enough to be outside one day when she did it, and the collar got stuck on the fence. She freaked out and started yelping. I had to wrestle her down so I could get the collar off of the fence. I am afraid that she'll do that one day when I'm not home and cut off her breathing. I had a childhood dog die that way.

I am looking for a breakaway collar that she would be able to get out of if that happens, but I haven't found one yet.

they only wear collars when we go out for walks or the mall or anything like that. But when they are home, and especially if they are alone then they never wear collars.

on this maltese forum that i went on, there was a horrible story about how this puppy was home alone by himself and when his owner came home, she found that he was strangle to death by his collar getting caught somewhere at the gate :sad: So I always urge people, especially people with little dogs and puppies to becareful when leaving them alone with a collar....

so yeh...no collars unless i'm watching them.

ha,yea for about 2 minutes if I'm lucky! they are Houdini's when it comes to collars. They are indoor cats and they do have a chip in them but that's the best I can do.

All 3 cats wear collars 24/7 no one has a problem. They do not go outside. One is not a breakaway it is an LV dog collar pm and he loves it. All collare have tags with name and number plus needs meds in case someone finds them and wants to keep/sell them. The siamese I adopted when he was 2 and put a collar on him and he had no problems. I guess it was luck. I feel better that they wear them

A collar in the house and a harness when we're out. I think a harness works best on smaller dogs.

Same for my pugs. They wear a collar at all times but only for ID purposes. They are microchipped as well. I will only walk them in a harness because walking pugs with a collar can damage their trachea.

I just put a collar on my 4.5 month old kitten a few days ago and at first she hated it! She ran around the house like a litter mad terror. After about an hour though she settled down. She still scratches at it now and then. She is microchipped too but I feel safer having them wear a collar too.