Do u shower with alhambra on

Ceila

O.G.
Nov 22, 2011
Hello everyone ..

So owners of mini alhambra the ones u wear everyday and dont take off and put on again everyday ..

Is it ok to shower with them on .. And the showergel and other bathing stuff may touch them ... Is that ok or will harm the delicate stones overtime

I am sure it will be the exact same as not wearing it in the shower, as I have always asked when I bought my mini alhambra pieces and was told its not the best thing to do. However, I do wear my mother of pearl in the shower everyday for years. Someone at the boutique once told me that since its mother of pearl it comes from the water and it shouldn't be harmed as much as the other stones when in contact with water (but think of the soaps and shampoos and all the fragrance). Thats why I don't do the same with my turquoise, I am more careful with that.

I don't think twice about showering with my rose gold 6 motif Alhambra sweet bracelet or my rose gold vintage Alhambra pendant - but that's because they're gold.

I'm now considering a 5 motif Alhambra bracelet in onyx/yellow gold and my SA at VCA assures me it's fine to shower with too as it's the most durable of their gemstones. He advises NOT getting the MOP pieces for instance wet/soapy.

I was advised at the boutique to absolutely not shower with MOP or turquoise, but that chalcedony and onyx were okay to shower with. I did not inquire about other stones. The SA mentioned a story of a client who had brought in an MOP piece that had been through years of showering that became very thin and had obvious shrinkage.

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
Can I piggyback on this thread and ask about someone washing their hands with say, a vintage Alhambra onyx ring on? What do people who have Alhambra rings with stones do?

I shower with my onyx single motif necklace and my sweet bracelets (MOP, Turquoise and all RG) i haven't noticed any issues with the stones and it's been years. I do also take them off weekly and thoroughly clean them.

I talked to my SA at VCA last week as I'm new to VCA and just received my first Carnelian sweet heart. He said not to wear Carnelian in the shower or get perfume or shower gel on it as in time it ruins the stone.
He said ok for MOP to get wet but again no shampoo, shower gel etc should get on it. Just sharing

The most common dangers to turquoise are of two types: The first is direct damage caused by scratches or sharp blows. This is due to its relative softness as a gemstone, but any gem can be damaged by sharp, hard impacts. With a little caution, it is easy to prevent this type of damage - avoid heavy work when wearing your turquoise. The second problem is color changes, which can caused by oils, soaps, lotions or other household chemicals. Because all natural turquoise is at least a little porous, things like oils, soaps and other chemicals can get into the stone and can change its color. The pores of the stone will even absorb the natural oils produced by the skin causing it to turn a greenish color over time. In even the hardest turquoise, deposits collecting in the pores of the stone can eventually cause a color change. Therefore, just a little care should be taken to protect the stones from situations where they may be exposed to oils, grease and chemicals - again, its best to avoid heavy work when wearing your turquoise. Once a stone changes color, unfortunately it's changed for good.

Reactions: HeartHermes
The most common dangers to turquoise are of two types: The first is direct damage caused by scratches or sharp blows. This is due to its relative softness as a gemstone, but any gem can be damaged by sharp, hard impacts. With a little caution, it is easy to prevent this type of damage - avoid heavy work when wearing your turquoise. The second problem is color changes, which can caused by oils, soaps, lotions or other household chemicals. Because all natural turquoise is at least a little porous, things like oils, soaps and other chemicals can get into the stone and can change its color. The pores of the stone will even absorb the natural oils produced by the skin causing it to turn a greenish color over time. In even the hardest turquoise, deposits collecting in the pores of the stone can eventually cause a color change. Therefore, just a little care should be taken to protect the stones from situations where they may be exposed to oils, grease and chemicals - again, its best to avoid heavy work when wearing your turquoise. Once a stone changes color, unfortunately it's changed for good.
Thank you
Sigh ... I don't like changing fine jewellery daily
Every 3-6 months yes
Too lazy

I was advised by the SA not to wear in the shower or when exercising. I know the feeling of how annoying it is to keep taking on and off jewelry. I get annoyed myself lol