Do store credits expire?

All that being said, there is always some flexibility, especially if the store tried, but was not able to get an item that you wanted (assuming the request was a reasonable one). I have had stores be flexible as well with the 10 day return policy...as long as the product was not used at all.

In the US, there is a law called the "Gift Card Protection Act" which states that a store is prohibited to have an expiration date and fees on gift cards. And in that act, gift cards are defined as: "The term `gift certificate' shall mean a writing identified as a gift certificate purchased by a buyer for use by a person other than the buyer, or at a later date, not redeemable for cash and usable in its face amount for goods or services provided by the seller. Such term shall include an electronic card with a stored dollar value, a merchandise credit, or any other medium that evidences that the issuer has received payment for the full face value for the future purchase or delivery of goods or services."

So by law, in the US, there should be no expiration dates on credit notes...

Ms. Fashionista, thanks for your information. I was not aware of the "gift card protection act". However, I am discussing a store credit issued by the store to the original buyer, not a gift certificate. If there is a law that governs that as well, that would be fabulous. Unfortunately, from what is written on the store credits issued to an individual who purchases and subsequently returns the item, they are listed as 1 yr credits. I wish it were wrong...I hope to never find out!!!

Anyhow, with the amount of time I spend in that store...it would be tough to NOT buy anything for 1 year!! I suck at bans!!:rolleyes:

In the US, there is a law called the "Gift Card Protection Act" which states that a store is prohibited to have an expiration date and fees on gift cards. And in that act, gift cards are defined as: "The term `gift certificate' shall mean a writing identified as a gift certificate purchased by a buyer for use by a person other than the buyer, or at a later date, not redeemable for cash and usable in its face amount for goods or services provided by the seller. Such term shall include an electronic card with a stored dollar value, a merchandise credit, or any other medium that evidences that the issuer has received payment for the full face value for the future purchase or delivery of goods or services."

So by law, in the US, there should be no expiration dates on credit notes...

If you really want to use it for an SO, I'm sure they will make some allowances for you, especially considering the amount. After all, you are trying to spend the money within the allotted time period and it's not your fault the bags take so long to get make! :biggrin:

I would suggest talking this matter through with your SA or store manager, I'm sure they will want to help in whatever way they can for a dedicated customer. :smile:

The SM at my local boutique warned me that if I chose to take store credit instead of a refund on a defective bag, the credit would be good for a year only. This was back in mid 2007.

Oops! cross posted with bagstodiefor. Sorry!

EEEEEK!

What in tarnation?????

I saw a new Lindy price very quietly listed in the current prices thread ms gga......and now THIS?!?!? WOW - what color is she?? Congratulations!!

(sorry for the hijack castorny - great thread - our quirky Hermes, eh? Best of luck with your store credit)

http://forum.purseblog.com/member.php?u=32386

Katel, lol! um, ah, well...It's Vert Anis swift, 34 cm. And I'm totally over the moon about it. I had a little help scouting it and picking it out from our beloved mutual friend!

End of hijack, Castorny! Sorry!

All that being said, there is always some flexibility, especially if the store tried, but was not able to get an item that you wanted (assuming the request was a reasonable one). I have had stores be flexible as well with the 10 day return policy...as long as the product was not used at all.

Yes, an H. cashier said that they are flexible as to the one-year rule, as long as you come in *before* it expires to have it "extended."

HM, is that a new birkin in your avatar? :graucho:

In California at least, they cannot expire- it's illegal under state law :yes:

I think its illegal in many states, it might even be a federal law. So many businesses were taking advantage of their consumers. Thank God many complained & thay made laws around them. There is no reason, except for greed that a credit expires. We had a few on our books for years, we even call the customer to remind them.
If you have a problem, contact the attorney general for you state.