Do people say thank you anymore?

Yep, guilty party here as well. I hate when people don't take the 1/2 second to say thank you!! I am ususally the one that says thank you to the cashier after purchasing items and they don't say anything. It drives me insane!!:cursing:

^^ same here!
some ppl think they have too little time in this world, so don't wanna waste their time to say 'thank you'

I was raised to say "Please", "Thank you", "yes, m'am/sir", etc. I am very grateful that my DH is strict with his sons about "manners", they grumble now but I think they will appreciate it one day.

Slightly OT but one thing that sorta bothers me is strangers just casually using my first name without my permission---KWIM? I am a nurse and I always refer to my patients as "Mr Jones" or "Mrs Smith", and to the docs as "Dr Feelgood"--even though they are invariable quite a bit younger than me, LOL--until they ask me to do otherwise. I just think it's more respectful (no, I do not request that they call me "Nurse Fuzzywuzzy", I introduce myself as "Jane"). But when I am shopping and I pay with my card, for example, I find it a bit too familiar when the sales clerk calls me by my first name instead of Mrs XXX. I am probably old-fashioned in this respect?

Oh my! They should have at least say thank you! You worked so hard, and they don't even acknowledge it! That is soo true though, people have stopped being polite! Everday until right now, my dad always tells us to say Please, and Thank You!

LOL the first thing I wanted to say to this post was THANK YOU!

You open a door for someone -- thank you would be nice, or even a smile or nod.
Someone hands you a paper -- say thank you!

What happened to manners? :confused1:

manners, courtesy, all those things are really important to me because i was raised that way. i always say thank you, excuse me, please, pardon me, god bless you, etc. i find that the younger generation (oh my goodness, i really am old) doesn't say it much. when i see/hear someone being courteous and showing manners i hold them in high esteem.

I use thank you and please all the time. I use them more in places such as restaurants, when I order or ask for something, I always say please, because I get soooo PO'ed if people come to the place I work at and don't say it!!

My pet peeve: When I'm walking towards a door and there is a person on the other side, I hold the door open for them and they walk by like it was an automatic door...no thank you whatsoever!
Even worse...if I open the door with the intention of ME going first, they walk right by like I was supposed to hold the door open for them! Yeeesh, some people these days have NO manners!

Another one!
I do coat check at work and if I take a coat, I do expect a polite thank you. There are so many people who just take the coat check tag without saying a thing! Um, I'm not charging you for this service (although tips appreciated!) so I do expect a polite thank you!

I could go on and on... *sigh*

i always say my pleases, thank yous, and bless yous.. when they're due. i know i say it often at work, cuz i'm always requesting things to get done or things taken down from high places or heavy things moved.. so it's definitely being used there.

and i always write thank you notes in pretty stationary (i LOVE pretty stationary/paper/envelopes!) and snail-mail them.

also, it seems like people feel it's an obligation to do something if it's followed by the word "please" (ie: could you get this down for me, please?) and some of them give you attitude.. it's like.. why are you being rude? i said please! it's not like it was a demand.. and they could've said no and i could've gotten someone else to do it. bleh. :P

Yep, guilty party here as well. I hate when people don't take the 1/2 second to say thank you!! I am ususally the one that says thank you to the cashier after purchasing items and they don't say anything. It drives me insane!!:cursing:

Same here Bebe. I'll always say thank you but not getting one back is so annoying!

I was raised to say "Please", "Thank you", "yes, m'am/sir", etc. I am very grateful that my DH is strict with his sons about "manners", they grumble now but I think they will appreciate it one day.

Slightly OT but one thing that sorta bothers me is strangers just casually using my first name without my permission---KWIM? I am a nurse and I always refer to my patients as "Mr Jones" or "Mrs Smith", and to the docs as "Dr Feelgood"--even though they are invariable quite a bit younger than me, LOL--until they ask me to do otherwise. I just think it's more respectful (no, I do not request that they call me "Nurse Fuzzywuzzy", I introduce myself as "Jane"). But when I am shopping and I pay with my card, for example, I find it a bit too familiar when the sales clerk calls me by my first name instead of Mrs XXX. I am probably old-fashioned in this respect?

just to respond to your "old fashioned" idea of Mr/Mrs... i find the reason being for using the first name rather the last, is mostly because in this day and age, not everyone is a "Mrs." KWIM? Mr. -- sure.. but Mrs? Or Ms.? Which is it? Some misses get offended, and some Mrs. get offended.. so it's hard nonetheless. i know in England and parts of Europe, it's still used a lot more than it is over here.. and I can tell customers are from there when I see their credit card name says "Miss Jane Doe" instead of just "Jane Doe" like it is here. :shrugs: just my .02

after 10 years of being together, i still tell the BF "thank you" when he buys me dinner (well, i really never pay...tee hee).

i always say thank you to people. i even say thanks to people i work with when i am leaving for the day.

i wave to signal thanks when driving too, if someone lets me in their lane.
i hate it when i obviously slow down to let someone in my lane and they dont wave. grrrr!

I think there is generally a huge failing in peoples manners, certainly over here in the UK. I always say please & thank oyu , I always hold the door for anyone walking in behind me, or if they are older than me , I hold the door open & let them in first. If they fail to thank me, which I find disgusting, I say very loadly & usually very close to their face, "oh not at all, you're most welcome", in my most sarcastic voice.

I HATE!!!!!!!!!!!! it with a passion if I say thank you to someone & they don't respond. At a cashier til or in the bank or anything, I will just stand there pointedly staring at the person until they say thank you. If they don't say it, I will repeat my 'Thank you' very loudly & directly at them, & will keep doing this until they reply with a thank you, at which point I will always say 'there, that didn't hurt did it?'

Another bizarre thing that happens over here, mainly in the last 4 years or so, but peope lare all 'hardmen' they walk down the street like they own it & refuse to move or even just not barge into you. When they do, they refuse to apologise! I'm not talking men in their 20s here I'm talking young kids (even down to age 8ish, cos obviously their parents are the same), middle aged men & even old women! its sooooooooooo rude!!!