Do people "judge" you for carrying a Chanel?

IMHO, yes. Sadly, I try to avoid bringing new/different bags when out with those family members who would normally judge. My mother being one. I just don't bring anything new when I do see her. She is super judgmental!

My mother is "OK" with me buying bags but she always reminds me that I should take care of my kids first...as if I don't know that! However, it's my inlaws who are supercritical of me spending so much on bags...

I remember some similar old threads like this one in PF and I see we often face this issues unfortunately. You're not alone OP I totally get it. I don't wear my Chanel around those judgmental people. Not worth it and waste our lives, its better to avoid those unpleasant comments. We can share and enjoy ours collections here. We have such nice things and life is short, Lets enjoy :smile:
I totally agree that life is too short to not enjoy. We only have one life to live, and "gosh darnit" we should enjoy! :yahoo::drinks:

I'm not around too many people (at least family), who are into luxury bags etc. To be honest I think they know it's expensive but don't know HOW expensive Chanel can be. I was wearing my reissue on Christmas Eve and my Aunt said to me "is that Chanel?" I told her yes and told her she had taste that she recognized the mademoiselle lock and that most only know the CC and that was that... LOL.

That's a clever one. I do have a reissue and if I get comments when wearing it, I will most likely use your line! Love it! :tup:

I have family members that I don't wear my Chanel bags around but friends aren't friends if they judge you or make negative comments about your passion! I'm so grateful to have a man in my life that doesn't care how much my bags cost and just wants me to be happy but I know how lucky I am to have him as all men do not feel that way...Bottom line, do what makes you feel comfortable and happy :smile:

You are lucky to have a man who doesn't care. I find that I have to "hide"' my bags from my hubby. Luckily he doesn't keep track of all my bags (including LV) so if he sees a new one , I do say "oh this old thing? I've had it for a while..." works every time! :tup:

I honestly dont want to sound arrogant, that is not my intention with this response but what I noticed is that I have started to get more comfortable using my Chanel purses in front of my judgy relatives (my side only, not with my in laws cuz they are a different story) as soon as I started buying Hermes. To me, I'd rather have them judge me with Chanel prices than Hermes prices because then I will be disowned. I found comfort in the fact that I'm "hiding a bigger secret" if that makes sense.

I definitely avoid carrying some of my bags around my mother in law for this reason. I was carrying my LV soft lock it (she has several smaller canvas LVs so not like she doesn't have any nice bags) and we were at the mall one day and she wanted to go into the LV store to look around. She always would ask me how much my bag cost (I played dumb and said it was a gift from my hubby which it was). She then proceeded to point to my bag and ask the SA how much my bag cost. I was mortified! She's also made comments before at how ridiculous the price of Chanel's are.... Hence why I don't bring them around her! I would just prefer not to hear the comments. I definitely don't hesitate carrying my bags in public, although I definitely choose places wisely. It's kind of sad we can't just enjoy our bags freely without feeling awkward!

I agree. My MIL does not know about designer bags but I'm sure the SIL will tell her all about it. They were having a tough time accepting my LV addiction and now that I've moved on to Chanel, I honestly don't know what they are saying behind my back. I know I shouldn't care but it's still hard not to care....:sad:

Unfortunately we can not always control what other people say, do, or how they feel. It is true that Chanel bags cost a lot and everyone knows about it. It is also true that the best way to avoid being judged is simply to not buy it or to not carry it because, whether you will know about it or not, other people will judge you. So I think there are only two options of dealing with it: first is not buying/carrying what makes you feel unconfortable, and second just carrying it no matter what others say/think. If someone asks "Is that a real Chanel? How much did you pay for it?" just politely say "Yes, it is, and I worked hard to buy it." Or if someone is really bugging you with "Gosh, that must have cost a fortune! How much did you pay for that?" say "As much as some others would for a private island!" After that people usually leave you alone and do not ask silly questions.

Thank you for the insight. I will use the private island remark next time! Love it!

Hi Val! I got my 1st chanel bag in square mini after saving for few yrs. :smile: In early December I carried it to my in law birthday dinner. I was a bit hesitated to carry it out too cos it's a very expensive bag n may attract 'spotlight' on my bag n I was worried ppl may asked n stared too. My hubby encouraged mi to carry it. He said if i dun ever carry it out, then when? So I carried it out.
After the dinner while leaving the place I noticed my sister in law was staring at my bag. I felt awkward. But she didnt ask anything.
I find different ppl hav different passion or interest. Like my sister in law, she like watches n there were few occasions she will show her rolex watch to us n even joke the watch was worth our few months salary. Zzz...
I still believe in ' every woman must hav at least one luxury bag that can last a lifetime.' Hehe..

It's always the Inlaws isn't it? :confused1:

I really believe that noone should be ashamed or judged by what they wear and I hate that people are jealous and spill it out to make others feel bad.

So yes, I try not to wear fancy bags in presence of judgemental people. Well, you can always wear fancy bags that noone recognizes ;) (I mean, some people will only recognize MK bags and think that they are fancy while they won't know anything about Givenchy). I do have the same strategy with other expensive things like jewellery and watches.

I try not to be sad about this and see it as a natural rotation of my wardrobe ;)

Reactions: kkfiregirl