Do people always have to rain on my parade?

Amy Bredemus

Purse Hungry!
Oct 15, 2010
Today, to make my day, I received the Romance bag Monogram Idylle in Fusain. I am over the moon with my new baby, I purchased the wallet way in advance and the ballet flats as well, before I ever even knew when it would be that I would be so lucky to get this bag. Then, when I had her unveiled on my counter, my sitter walks up and says, "How much did that cost you?" in a tone I have translated to mean, "Why would you spend so much $$$ on that???" or "How can you afford that?" or "I would never spend $$$ on that stuff." Is it just me or is it plain rude to ask someone how much something costs???? I was raised NEVER, EVER, EVER to ask such questions. Am I from a different planet?

Yes, it is very rude to ask someone what something costs. But people do it all the time. It's like asking someone's salary, rent or mortgage payment, or weight! Strictly off limits!

Sorry someone had to rain on your parade -- they just can't help themselves!!!

Congrats on your purchases! UnFortunately that kind of questions come with the territory. Don't let people like that rent space in your head or disturb your peace. Even if they never change, you can still change your scenery.

Last edited:
Definitely sounded rude and obnoxious in the way she asked. Usually I'd say that asking about how much someone spends or makes is extremely rude and out of line...but it definitely depends on how you were approached and the tone and intention that person was asking you in. But overall, it definitely is rude. Sorry to hear about what happened though. But be happy, you have fabulous babies to enjoy!

It's happened to me many times. One of my aunts tried to make me tell her the price of my bags and she kept pressuring me to say it. It really upset me at the time and made me feel bad about my purchases. Don't let it get you down.

That was totally inappropriate for her to ask you the cost. Sorry, some people just don't get it. They also don't know how to mind their own business. Apparently her parents didn't teach her not to ask such questions and they obviously didn't teach her "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Don't get mad. I bad for her, she didn't have the best parents. lol

I am sorry about your sis, and understand it hurts when family members are cold and unaccepting. But that is her issue not to mention bad manners, clearly you have taste and class. Sounds like she is jealous a bit? Hope you two can talk it out at some point though.

OK now..."WE" are ALL excited for you and want to share in your glorious loot!! REVEAL my dear.

Congrats on your new bag, unfortunatly we always come across people who are very rude, and that comment was RUDE, but perhaps she was trying to make a statement about how much she gets paid to sit for you without actually saying it. As if to say you can afford to buy things like that but yet I only get paid this much.... Don't know her obviously so I could be wrong but just a thought!

It could be an innocent question, unless the tone of voice or expression said otherwise. Maybe she liked it too and was wondering how much it would cost to buy one. She may not be very sensitive but may not have ill intentions. I'd give her the benefit of doubt.