Do NOT go to Jin Hong Ryul. Here's my story. He is not a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Jan 11, 2019
Do NOT go to Jin Hong Ryul unless you prefer:

• Dropped upper lip and pain/discomfort when you smile.
  • Changed speech when pronouncing certain words.
  • Retruded upper lip & Protruded monkey lips
  • Under projected tip
  • Droopy tip
  • Flat face
  • Hump
  • Short Columella
  • Ugly round nostrils
  • Contour Irregularity
  • No supratip break

He is a pure ENT. Not a plastic surgeon! He has absolutely no aesthetic eyes. He literally prefers ugly noses with features listed above.

He is a total moron when it comes to aesthetics. First, watch the video below and decide for yourself if what he says makes any sense. Unfortunately, his ugly noses never “disappear”.

Then, go to https://www.rhinoplastykorea.com/rhinoplasty-surgeon

There are 3 surgeons. Decide for yourself who makes the most beautiful nose and who’s nose is the ugliest.

I had a saddled nose from a previous failed septoplasty. I searched online and someone recommended him. I went to him for surgery in March, last year. I showed him multiple high definition photos of my original nose photos --- a nice supratip break and nice projection. Such photos were not taken with mobile phones. They were taken with professional cameras.

He simply put spreader grafts and an onlay graft on me. And my nose turned out to be like this (see photo). He charged me $12,000 and I did not haggle the price.

Immediately after the surgery, I noticed he took a shortcut and gave me no projection. He gave me monkey-like retruded upper lip because he did not put in a septal extension graft. I later consulted other rhinoplasty surgeons. No rhinoplasty surgeons in the world would fix a saddled nose like he did. They could not imagine why Jin Hong Ryul could make a suggestion to fix my nose like he did.

Jin Hong Ryul actually had the audacity to tell me right after the surgery: “the surgery went well.” What a moron.

7 days later, he charged me another $1000 to in-fracture my right-side turbinate while sitting in his office chair. Took 30 minutes under local anesthesia. My American doctors thought that was an outrageous price. But I didn't haggle with him.

He put me through hell for the following 12 months after the first surgery without offering a solution over the email to ease my mind, even though I repeatedly asked him. He would not reply to my email.

12 months after the surgery, I went back to his office in Seoul, Korea. He started out by arguing with me for more than a half hour saying his surgery delivered what I asked of him. He actually first believed that he could fix my nose without additional rib cartilage! That is how crazy this moron’s aesthetic view was! He loves flat face with no nose. He loves monkey-like protruded mouths.

After arguing for an hour, he said he would give me only 2 or 3 mm of projection of the tip --- that is how crazy and stupid he is. 2 or 3 mm.

I then visited multiple rhinoplasty surgeons in Seoul for the following week. Nobody could believe he did my surgery without a septal extension graft. Unthinkable! Total idiot. 2 plastic surgeons told me he is an ENT, not a plastic surgeon.

I went to his office to him for maybe another 10 times during the next 20 days. Showed the 3D morphing I got from Dr. Toriumi, Dr. Donald Yoo, Dr. Yong Ju Jang. Dr. Yong Ju Jang's sophisticated modeling says my nose needed exactly 5.8 mm projection. Dr. Jin then said to me: "I hate it when we talk in terms of millimeters. . ."

He didn’t even want to put additional onlay graft on my nose. He wanted to patch something on top. I was so frustrated and I started crying. I told him this approach would not make my bridge smooth. He finally verbally agreed to put a fresh layer of onlay graft on the entire nose.

I calculated ratios. I wrote down the ratios next to my morphed photo. Drew the lines. Pointed out exactly the top 3 priorities of what I wanted in my nose:

• No retruded upper lip
  • Projection
  • Almond shaped nostrils

I also asked for a Supratip. I even asked for it before the first surgery last year. Jin Hong Ryul would not tell you straight that he does not do that. He wil stay quiet and let you find out later.

I told him my priority is not to lengthen my nose. My priority was to get more projection that my original nose. He thought I was absurd. He is a total moron with no esthetics.

He asked for another $6000 for fix this mess. I did not argue.

A day before the revision surgery, I even went to his office for the last time. Showed him beautiful noses built by Dr. Donald Yoo and Dr. Cho Bae-Jung. Pointed out on www. https://www.rhinoplastykorea.com/ all of his patients’ under-projected tips and monkey-mouths. He said he understood what I was trying to say.

7 days after the surgery my cast was removed, in his office I immediately noticed severe contour irregularity along my dorsal line --- a dent right below my nosal bone, and then a sudden bump afterwards, and then a dip right after the bump.

Again he did not lay enough graft along my dorsal line to give me more projection.

He put a very uncomfortable premaxillary graft with diced rib cartilage behind my upper lip --- I later figured out why he did that. This is because he would never put in a long enough septal/columella integration graft. Also, it is because is severely lengthen my nose! Because of this prmaxillary graft, my upper lip side view became unnaturally S-shaped. Also, it was very uncomfortable. So I had no choice but to push out his diced cartilage premaxillary graft with my finger--- at least this makes my upper lip look natural and feel comfortable.

He again, gave me monkey-like retruded upper lip.

Dr. Cho Bae-Jung said my nose does not need any premaxillary graft at all! Why, because Dr. Cho Bae Jung gives proper amount of projection.

Now 5 months after the surgery, It is obvious that he gave me another "bent" (hooked) nose with no tip projection. Obviously there's no supratip break. Tip is droopy. severe irregularity along the dorsum.

He lengthened my nose more than necessary. Why? Because unlike Dr. Toriumi, he does not examine you before surgery where your upper lip is when you smile. He does not take a picture of yours smile. So now, my upper lip doesn’t show my full teeth when I smile, because he put a thick causal septal extension graft under my anterior nasal spine --- too much! He lowered my upper lip by 6mm! Before the surgery, when he draw the diagram to show me the caudal septal extension/columella integration graft, his diagram showed that it would end right before my anterior nasal spine. Now I realized he stuck a huge piece past below my anterior nasal spine. No wonder I cannot smile properly. Not only that, I have difficulty pronouncing words. My speed pattern is changed. The reason is simple, if I cannot raise my upper lip properly, how can I pronounce words properly?

He again gave me ugly rounded nostrils with a short columella. That is what he likes aestheticaslly! My upper lip is again retruded. This is simply because this moron ENT put in a short Septal Extension Graft/Columella Strut and also he lengthen my nose way too much without giving additional projection. We discussed about having a very aggressive Septal Extension Graft/Columella Strut on more than 40 occasions (email and in person) in the previous 12 months. When it came to surgery, he had the audacity to do the opposite. I again have a sudden drop as my figure rolls along my dorsum close to the tip. He promised me before the surgery that there would be no drop. His septal extension graft/columella strut is a joke! Decide for yourself on https://www.rhinoplastykorea.com and see how ugly his patients' side views are. His patients' noses have no tip at all. All of them have monkey mouths.

When I asked him why he would again give me a short septal extension/columella integration strut graft 10 days after the surgery, he said he wouldn't know how to close the wound with suture if he gave me more projection and a longer columella! How come Dr. Cho Bae Jung doesn’t have a problem closing a wound like this?

I used Photoshop to analyze my original nose compared to my nose after this surgery. This doctor did not even restore the original projection of my nose! My nose line basic points down toward the floor. Because that’s what he likes aesthetically. He likes flat faces.

With the shape he gave to my nose (not like the morphed photo I showed him), he told me again after I woke up from the surgery: “the surgery went well.”

Go visit him and decide for yourself if this guy is just an ENT or a plastic surgeon. Go see his office set-up. He has a mirror to talk about your nose with. Nothing else. He does not do morphing. Does not point out on his computer screen photos of your nose while discussing exactly the shape you want. He does not draw. Why? Because in his mind, he already has decided the kind of nose he wants to give you --- with the features I mentioned in the beginning.

He does not tell you that after rhinoplasty, you should keep your sutured spots (columella and chest) moist with silicon-based anti-scare cream so there won’t be scars. He does not tell you that you should bring sunscreen to Korea and avoid the sun. My face skin completely peeled after the first rhinoplasty. I then got dark sun spots around my eyes entirely within 2 weeks after the surgery after the first surgery. My dermatologist in US later this year has to use chemicals to peel my skin. And it costs $150 for each procedure. Jin Hong Ryul is not a plastic surgeon! Rhinoplasty surgeons will tell you such things in the instructions because they take a total esthetics approach.

He took out 2 ribs from me in my chest and left 2 scars. My nose will be redone again next year by another doctor. There will be another rib taken out with another scar!

Be careful of this ENT. I bet you a million dollars he does not own an SLR camera, and he never painted a painting or did a sculpture before. Even if you give him morphed photos, photoshoped photos and instructions he will give you something different --- why? Because he hates projection. A normal nose tip position is a pinocchio nose to him!! He has no aesthetics.

He will NOT say to you: “I do not give supratip break. My noses don’t have tips like other doctors. There will be contour irregularly.” He would let you find out after the surgery! And remember, he will suture you up even if things are not right!

Do NOT go to him and beg for a long septal extension graft and project. I begged and begged with tears before surgery for over 40 times. Hahahaha.

He is definitely a moron and should never be a plastic surgeon! Even the person who recommended me thinks that he is not an artist and that his patients’ noses side profiles suck!

His Columella Strut/Septal Extension Integration Graft strut resulted in an underprojected tip without supratip break --- that is how short his graft is. That is why his noses are all ugly! And that is why my tip started to retract/drop right after the onlay graft ended and there is no supratip break. He likes noses with no projected tip. Take a look on https://www.rhinoplastykorea.com/. His noses have a less than 30 degree line pointing downward because he loves flat faces. The morphed photo I should him clearly showed a 40 degree projection. He gave me 29 degrees.

Doctor Torimui refused to do the revision surgery for me because Jin Hong Ryul did the surgery for me the first time. Dr. Torimui said he would probably put a SEG on the side of my existing septum. Dr. Toriumi wrote this excellent article to explain the different between a short nose and an over rotated nose. https://www.facialplasticsurgerymia...9/06/correction-of-the-overshortened-nose.pdf . I had an overrated nose instead of a short nose. In this second surgery, Dr. Jin lengthened my central compartment and changed the baseline of my nose without asking where my original smile line was or analyzing my upper lip height. That is why I ended up with a 6mm lowered upper lip! Over-lengthening noses without giving more projection results in smile problems and retruded monkey-like upper lip. My nasal length-to-tip projection ratio should be close to 0.67 according to my morphed photo. He significantly lengthened my nose without giving me additional tip projection. This resulted in my length-to-tip projection ratio to be only 0.5! He is a total moron lacking aesthetic eyes. He really likes underprojected tips and flat faces.

I will have another surgery next year and will have 3 scares on my chest because of him. He charged me over $19000.

My story goes on and on. If you want more details, email me at awesomeairstyle@gmail.com and I will tell you more with photos.

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to ICON card members.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 thread.

Mazikeen

Oct 12, 2018
So sorry about your ordeal & thanks for sharing. These korean surgeons have no scruples. You should get in touch with @chanelsaint, she was also botched but managed to get some money back. I too had revision rhino at VIP clinic & my nose is botched too, currently looking for a surgeon to correct this mess. Wishing you all the best & pls update us on your progress.

Jan 11, 2019
He made me sign on a piece of paper that this was the last time he would do my surgery. Evil!

I stayed in Korea for 13 days after the surgery. I asked him for a surgery report. He would not give it to me. I went to see him several times during the 13 days to ask why he did what he did again! He kept on asking me: “when are you leaving Korea?“ Obviously, he couldn’t wait for me to leave. He finally printed out a surgery report on the very last day.

Does it matter how long I would stay in Korea or not?? Too bad he is stuck with my online review for him forever!

Jun 5, 2020
He made me sign on a piece of paper that this was the last time he would do my surgery. Evil!

I stayed in Korea for 13 days after the surgery. I asked him for a surgery report. He would not give it to me. I went to see him several times during the 13 days to ask why he did what he did again! He kept on asking me: “when are you leaving Korea?“ Obviously, he couldn’t wait for me to leave. He finally printed out a surgery report on the very last day.

Does it matter how long I would stay in Korea or not?? Too bad he is stuck with my online review for him forever!
Oh thank you so much for write this thread Dr. Jin was in my list for rhino next year
because your thread i will delete his in my list..

Reactions: velovme

Michelle222

May 10, 2020
So sorry about your experience! I'm looking for rhinoplasty surgeon in Korea for a long time but after such reviews I start feeling scared. I also thought he is a good surgeon...

Mazikeen

Oct 12, 2018

Post your review on realself too. Put him on blast everywhere. He shouldn`t have charged you to correct his mess, this is FOC in most clinics.

sempervivum

Sep 16, 2018
Full disclosure: I was a patient and personally have met with Dr. Jin.

I don't think this review is indicative of a normal experience with Dr. Jin. I also sympathise with anyone who has a poor ps result because it is devastating and heartbreaking in many ways. I've seen and read about too many while on here and kkt for 3 years. However this review has so many red flags that it is not coming from a normal patient who was taken advantage of or wronged by the Dr. In fact there's a lot of admissions in his own post that he was abusive and manipulative and sabotaged his own results. None of the women (or men) here would have behaved like this.

From the way he is spamming the kkt he has been in the chats for a while. Someone like that would have been told multiple times Dr. Jin has a natural result style. He clearly did not know what to expect from rhino

Showing up unannounced arguing for another revision? Visiting his office 10 times over the next 20 days? Arguing (being combative) with the surgeon for multiple hours? Pushing out his own graft after an indeterminate time post op? Normal people don't do this. Someone who is in a normal state of mind would not write a review like this either.

Repeatedly calling him a moron, the constant reference to whatever a monkey lip is, clumsily throwing around anatomical terms to sound professional- on top of anger issues he sounds racist, bigoted and narcissistic. Calling all of the bnas "ugly" and "flat" for when most of them are what the normal ethnic asian nose is, he is probably has a lot of internalized self hate towards asians. Dr. Jin is not a dolly nose Dr and he never misrepresents that he is. He won't put a big white nose on an asian person because guess what... it doesn't suit us. How can you go to an ENT and ask them to sacrifice form over function?

I wasn't originally going to post because I'd hope people would see what is obvious to me, but I feel it is worth speaking up even if people will dismiss me because I am a former patient. I have shared my bnas with many people privately on kkt and feel confident in saying Dr. Jin is upfront about the potential in your results and it's your choice whether to take him at his word or choose to believe a miracle will happen. No surgeon can completely control your outcome, but trying to force a Dr. to do something that is not their style or ethics is beyond the pale and no one will be happy with the result.

I only hope that people take this to heart and reread the OP to understand that this is not a normal Dr-patient interaction IN THE WORLD, not just Dr. Jin. Additionally not being forthcoming with depersonalized photos, having a shoddy timeline, inaccurate descriptions and technical terms, all paint a portrait of someone who may not have had a satisfactory outcome compared to their unrealistic or outsized expectations, but are so consumed by anger and delusion they would seek to harm the clinic by painting an inaccurate representation of events.

Mazikeen

Oct 12, 2018
Full disclosure: I was a patient and personally have met with Dr. Jin.

I don't think this review is indicative of a normal experience with Dr. Jin. I also sympathise with anyone who has a poor ps result because it is devastating and heartbreaking in many ways. I've seen and read about too many while on here and kkt for 3 years. However this review has so many red flags that it is not coming from a normal patient who was taken advantage of or wronged by the Dr. In fact there's a lot of admissions in his own post that he was abusive and manipulative and sabotaged his own results. None of the women (or men) here would have behaved like this.

From the way he is spamming the kkt he has been in the chats for a while. Someone like that would have been told multiple times Dr. Jin has a natural result style. He clearly did not know what to expect from rhino

Showing up unannounced arguing for another revision? Visiting his office 10 times over the next 20 days? Arguing (being combative) with the surgeon for multiple hours? Pushing out his own graft after an indeterminate time post op? Normal people don't do this. Someone who is in a normal state of mind would not write a review like this either.

Repeatedly calling him a moron, the constant reference to whatever a monkey lip is, clumsily throwing around anatomical terms to sound professional- on top of anger issues he sounds racist, bigoted and narcissistic. Calling all of the bnas "ugly" and "flat" for when most of them are what the normal ethnic asian nose is, he is probably has a lot of internalized self hate towards asians. Dr. Jin is not a dolly nose Dr and he never misrepresents that he is. He won't put a big white nose on an asian person because guess what... it doesn't suit us. How can you go to an ENT and ask them to sacrifice form over function?

I wasn't originally going to post because I'd hope people would see what is obvious to me, but I feel it is worth speaking up even if people will dismiss me because I am a former patient. I have shared my bnas with many people privately on kkt and feel confident in saying Dr. Jin is upfront about the potential in your results and it's your choice whether to take him at his word or choose to believe a miracle will happen. No surgeon can completely control your outcome, but trying to force a Dr. to do something that is not their style or ethics is beyond the pale and no one will be happy with the result.

I only hope that people take this to heart and reread the OP to understand that this is not a normal Dr-patient interaction IN THE WORLD, not just Dr. Jin. Additionally not being forthcoming with depersonalized photos, having a shoddy timeline, inaccurate descriptions and technical terms, all paint a portrait of someone who may not have had a satisfactory outcome compared to their unrealistic or outsized expectations, but are so consumed by anger and delusion they would seek to harm the clinic by painting an inaccurate representation of events.
The review might be a bit colourful but I can relate to his experience because I had the same horrible results from VIP and I called the clinic everyday complaining about my results. I was so depressed. My results look so fake & ridiculous, you can`t imagine the distress. Trust me if I had been in Seoul I would have set up camp at the clinic. I can totally understand him losing his **** especially after they had ignored all his emails. My radix is too high giving me beady eyes; my bridge is too high & the tip overprojected and I too had premaxillarygrafts (also known as noble surgery or paranasal implants) which gave the midface too much volume (this is what he means by monkey look) and also affected my smile. So he is def not exaggerating his results.

OP paid $20,000, let that sink in, for subpar results. If Dr. Jin was ethical, he shouldn`t have charged him for the second surgery or shouldn`t have agreed to perform a 2nd revision if he knew he wouldn`t be able to achieve the results OP was asking for.

Did you have primary or revision rhino?

thkorealover

Jul 10, 2020
That's why you should go with korean friend or agency who specializes on this staff between foreigners and doctors to make sure that doctor understands what you want! You must be sure that he totally understands your desires because, girl, it's your face. Some doctors do speak English I saw them doing it by myself BUT I'm sure he doesn't understand what YOU say 100%. And you too must be able to describe whatever you want to change and show it to him, you shouldn't rely on doctor because it's not his face, it's yours! I'm really sorry about your surgery experience but next time you better make sure that everything is clear between you and doctor

Reactions: Mazikeen

Mazikeen

Oct 12, 2018
That's why you should go with korean friend or agency who specializes on this staff between foreigners and doctors to make sure that doctor understands what you want! You must be sure that he totally understands your desires because, girl, it's your face. Some doctors do speak English I saw them doing it by myself BUT I'm sure he doesn't understand what YOU say 100%. And you too must be able to describe whatever you want to change and show it to him, you shouldn't rely on doctor because it's not his face, it's yours! I'm really sorry about your surgery experience but next time you better make sure that everything is clear between you and doctor
Exactly. Always take a translator with you to make sure you are on the same page. Most doctors speak basic English and can`t explain medical procedures and I suspect this was the case here.

sempervivum

Sep 16, 2018
Exactly. Always take a translator with you to make sure you are on the same page. Most doctors speak basic English and can`t explain medical procedures and I suspect this was the case here.
It was not because Dr. Jin speaks fluent English. This is a case of a patient misrepresenting their situation. The patient admits he was "forced" to sign an agreement that it would be the last time he is treated. This is generally unheard of because a clinic would typically just stonewall or blacklist a problematic patient. There are reports here of actual botches where the clinic goes silent. I think it was actually overly compassionate they still treated him because it is totally illogical he would demand a result he's not going to get. He could show the dr all the morphs, photoshops, pictures of Brad pitt that he wants but he's not going to get it by wishing. He needed an implant. Dr Jin famously does not do implants.

He is not showing his pictures (because I'm sure his first rev was not bad, just natural and he sabotaged his own results on his second rev by pushing out his own graft which is psychotic)

He is not showing his exchanges with Dr. Jin like other users have to expose bad clinics (because he cannot show his own messages which I imagine are abusive and not flattering if his review is any indication)

He clearly has the money/resources/ time (I assume he must be older) to pursue all this so why not go to a Dr that does his style. Why force Dr Jin to treat him.

He is basically taking out his anger on a clinic when he made his own bed and is forced to lie in it.

I have no horse in this race because I had my primary and almost 1 year post op, am satisfied and will not touch my nose barring any unfortunate accidents (knock on wood) but I just hope users think critically because clinics already come here to disparage competitors, post as patients, discredit patients, and so on so forth. But there are also many true and heartbreaking stories by real patients and it doesn't take a PhD to discern which is which. Please think twice before blindly believing this tabloid tier post. Dr Jin may still not be the dr for you especially if you're looking for a dramatic Asian nose result but thats your personal responsibility, not the doctors. Do your due diligence, do not lie to yourself or hope against hope what you wish will come true- put in the work and continue thinking critically.

Bella2020

Mar 26, 2020
Can someone tell me how these butchers or very bad plastic surgeon keep their practice running if they are super bad? I'm just puzzled by it.

chanelsaint

Oct 26, 2019
No surgeon can make all patients 100% happy, but he's also had other unhappy patients. Touriumi could potentially fix your nose, maybe keep emailing him and he'll take on your case after a year is up (maybe 2, because you extensive work done twice), I would go to see him in person if you haven't already. I think you should get your money back as well or at least a partial refund. Jin is not a rhinoplasty guru what-so-ever, he is only an ENT, so we have to respect that but if he promised a result or implied that he could give you a result that was never delivered not once, but twice, you should definitely be compensated or make arrangements for him to pay for the revision surgery at a different office in your home country. I met with Jin and although he offered to do my surgery, I wasn't feeling his vibe, plus he told me in person that the nostrils would be the most difficult part of my surgery; here's my thought: no surgeon can give you 100% of what you want, but they can get close and give you most of what you want; once your nostrils change shape it's difficult to fix completely. Keep pressing touriumi and look at your other options like Yoo (who has the aesthetic, but not sure of his experience, and he may make you sign an agreement stating that you can't have another surgery if you don't like it- if you go with Yoo you have to be really really sure that you like his style because I've seen work from him that makes people look like a different ethnicity, from a different sub-region, or mixed; some people like it but if you know you would have a problem with that it's definitely something to consider). Good for you for speaking up. Things will get better love, keep us updated. xx

Reactions: Mazikeen

Bella2020

Mar 26, 2020
So I guess people are partly to blame for luring in and recommending bad surgeons to non-discriminating potential patients. I mean if people avoid these surgeons who have far too many botched cases then they won't last. Marketing is another culprit as it paints a rosier picture. I guess this is when it pays off to be very discriminate.

jackwan1126

Nov 15, 2019
No surgeon can make all patients 100% happy, but he's also had other unhappy patients. Touriumi could potentially fix your nose, maybe keep emailing him and he'll take on your case after a year is up (maybe 2, because you extensive work done twice), I would go to see him in person if you haven't already. I think you should get your money back as well or at least a partial refund. Jin is not a rhinoplasty guru what-so-ever, he is only an ENT, so we have to respect that but if he promised a result or implied that he could give you a result that was never delivered not once, but twice, you should definitely be compensated or make arrangements for him to pay for the revision surgery at a different office in your home country. I met with Jin and although he offered to do my surgery, I wasn't feeling his vibe, plus he told me in person that the nostrils would be the most difficult part of my surgery; here's my thought: no surgeon can give you 100% of what you want, but they can get close and give you most of what you want; once your nostrils change shape it's difficult to fix completely. Keep pressing touriumi and look at your other options like Yoo (who has the aesthetic, but not sure of his experience, and he may make you sign an agreement stating that you can't have another surgery if you don't like it- if you go with Yoo you have to be really really sure that you like his style because I've seen work from him that makes people look like a different ethnicity, from a different sub-region, or mixed; some people like it but if you know you would have a problem with that it's definitely something to consider). Good for you for speaking up. Things will get better love, keep us updated. xx
Dr Touriumi is also an ENT doctor. What's make him different than Dr. Jin?