Do Louis Vuitton use leather for everything ?

The canvas is also lighter weight than leather. Everytime I pick up one of my bags at is all leather, I get shocked its weight.

Absolutely - I don't have an LV bag but I have a coated canvas LAMB and my shoulder pain that I had for years went away after just a few days of not carrying a leather bag (and mine weren't particularly heavy either).

Leather doesn't mean expensive - I've had many leather bags that cost $50 or less. What makes a bag worth its cost or not is the overall quality and amount of work involved, not the basic material.

I know a few vegetarians who like LV because they use 'less' leather (just for trim) rather than 'fake' leather (pleather) that still looks like a leather bag.

Oh, and the last time I saw my sister, she had just bought a new Coach CANVAS bag, not all-leather HA!!!

I'm not anti-Coach, I have several myself - BUT their canvas is not waterproof like LV and some other brands. I learned the hard way when I got caught in a bad rainstorm - fortunately my phone and other electronic items dried out without damage!

I also think it's odd that canvas Coach bags only cost around $10 less than the exact same bag in all-leather (compare the price of say an LV Mono Speedy and Epi Speedy - there is a big difference).

That's where I have trouble justifying the cost of a canvas bag versus leather (my canvas Coach was pre-loved, I couldn't bring myself to pay the same price for a 'cloth' bag as a leather one back when I bought it).

You also have to think about the fact that there's different qualities of leather.

BTW am i getting this right, the canvas is waterproof but the leather areas are not? That's kind of funny to me just cause if you're out in the rain, the canvas won't get ruined but it won't matter, cause you have to protect the leather anyways.

If you read the textile tags that come with your handbags, wallets, etc you will see that something like coated canvas and with leather lining. So yes some LV items are coated canvas but the inner part is leather. I just purchased a PM agenda and that is what it stated.

It is essentially PVC she is right, they use a heavy weight cotton (like the lining in a mono speedy) and coat it in melted plastic, it is set using molds/or roller stamped to give it it's texture and then screen printed with the logos and coated in a clear finishing layer once more... LV doesn't deny what it is they state it is 'coated canvas' which sound more luxurious than PVC, but then again Stella McCartney used 'vegan leather' which is pleather... it's all about marketing... there is a reason the monogram line is the 'cheapest' especially compared to other designer full leather bags... that said the profit margin for the mono, damier and MC lines must be massive, the are about 70% or so of the epi line prices but the raw materials would cost less than a quarter of that that epi uses... from memory didn't Dana Thomas allude to the fact that a certain popular designer's canvas coated bags sell for x8 cost price.

food for thought I guess.
I have always thought that the "coating" on LV is just PVC. Just like the Burberry Smoked check. Here I think Gucci is way above LV when it comes to enviroment. Gucci use a enviroment/eco friendly material to coat their canvas, and will totaly stop using PVC in all their products in 2017. Bravo Gucci!

I thought the canvas was coated with leather that was liquified, then spread onto the canvas. I heard that years ago...so that is incorrect? I think I will call my SA and operations manager of the store I have shopped at for 10 years to find out for sure. Hmmm...I am so curious now.
Where in the world have you heard such thing?? That's ridiculous.

Where in the world have you heard such thing?? That's ridiculous.
Good lord that post was 6 years ago. Who knows who told me that!?...I was merely sharing what someone once told me. Not everyone is as educated about vuitton's processes or materials.[emoji13] [emoji16]

Since then I have learned a great deal from LV's operations director.

Last edited:
When I bought my latest LV bag, I looked around at saks for other brands first, such as chloe, balenciaga or prada. i was considering purchasing from them since I already bought from LV once. I dont know why, but my feet still swayed me towards LV. It also helped that I notice the other brands have price reduction posted whereas LV doesn't have any signage at all. Ive had a leather MK bag before and I remember how I had to take care of it and I didnt like it at all. I i wanted a bag I can use come rain or high water. I dont like making a fuss when someone spilled a drink on my bag. I didnt like to spend on something that can be ruined or dried out if without the proper care. I wanted something even with less vachetta thats why I chose the favorite pm. I love Lv even if it is widely counterfeited. I love LV even if it is just canvas.

Reactions: Talanzmom
Absolutely - I don't have an LV bag but I have a coated canvas LAMB and my shoulder pain that I had for years went away after just a few days of not carrying a leather bag (and mine weren't particularly heavy either).

Leather doesn't mean expensive - I've had many leather bags that cost $50 or less. What makes a bag worth its cost or not is the overall quality and amount of work involved, not the basic material.

I know a few vegetarians who like LV because they use 'less' leather (just for trim) rather than 'fake' leather (pleather) that still looks like a leather bag.

i agree with this. Its not the materal but craftsmanship. A bag that I know could stand the test of time