Do Logo Bags = Vulgar??

For example, a normal canvas bag + print is probably about $30, but a normal canvas bag with GUCCI print is worth far more, and i'm only paying that much because it's gucci!

Plus I feel as if they don't ever put any effort into making their bags... they just take a generic bag design and slap the logo all over it, and then it's 'designer'. ..
Excellent point

Liberté;3757158 said:
In some ways, yes I agree. But for example the LV monogram canvas has been around for so long and it's been on luggage and trunks, I would definetly not consider it vulgar on luggage at least.
True.

Anyway, I don't think logos are just outright vulgar. I think it depends on how the logo appears on the bag (is it understated and elegant, or is it screaming for someone to recognize the brand) how the person is acting who is carrying it (are they flaunting it mercilessly or just carrying it normally) and how often we see that logo displayed everywhere (like rap videos, on car upholstery, etc) That is what makes a logo potentially become vulgar for me.

from merriam webster online dictionary:

3 a : of or relating to the common people : [SIZE=-1]PLEBEIAN[/SIZE] b : generally current : [SIZE=-1]PUBLIC[/SIZE] <the vulgar opinion of that time> c : of the usual, typical, or ordinary kind
4 a : lacking in cultivation, perception, or taste : [SIZE=-1]COARSE[/SIZE] b : morally crude, undeveloped, or unregenerate : [SIZE=-1]GROSS[/SIZE] c : ostentatious or excessive in expenditure or display : [SIZE=-1]PRETENTIOUS[/SIZE]
5 a : offensive in language : [SIZE=-1]EARTHY[/SIZE] b : lewdly or profanely indecent

I agree with the poster who stated that a monogram bag with an understated outfit and subtle jewlry would be fine. Personally, I don't care for bags with logo print or giant logos, like some of the recent Prada, or the Chanel bags with the humongous CC's on the outside.

Yeah, I can see where she's coming from.
I wouldn't use the word 'vulgar' though. I think a lot of logo bags lack style because it's the same logo over and over again just on different bags. The most successful designer brands have these monograms because the repetition of their logo creates familiarity and a certain lifestyle becomes associated with it. The bags that are the most imitated are the ones with the monograms because the logo is the most important feature of those bags. Without it, the bag has no identity. I guess what that fashionista was perhaps also hinting at was that many (not everyone) want to have that identity. They want to feel like they belong to that kind of culture and have that kind of lifestyle attached to the brand. What better way of achieving that then to let others know by marking oneself with that logo?
To me, some logos are incredibly ugly. I personally can't stand Gucci's logo. I think it's hideous. I even feel tempted to use the word 'vulgar' towards this brand because I think they are a brand that goes overboard with their logo. It's literally EVERYWHERE. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think they are "vulgar".... but I personally am not a fan of paying that much money for a logo when I can have a luxurious leather bag for the same price. I LOVE my leather bags and have no desire for logos.

Personally, not so much into the logo. I was #1 in line at a purse grab last week ($50 for a tciket to grab gently used purses). To the delight of the teenager who had ticket #2, I passed up a large Fendi for a beautiful snakeskin Judith Lieber.

I think it depends on the total picture. If I see a LV bag on a woman who is very polished, wearing a cashmere sweater, well cut slacks/jeans, subtle jewelry and low key makeup, I think it's a great look. If I see a woman wearing a bag with huge logos, garish makeup, too much cleavage and studded/spangled jeans I think it looks cheap.

Just when I'm ready to say the look is vulgar, I'll see someone carry it off really well. So I think it depends on the wearer's ability to get it right.

I don't think they're vulgar but they are very common because every designer is putting a prominent logo on their bags. With the success of the LV logo a lot of other designers have followed suit, Coach and their Cs all over the bag, Michael Kors' MK logo, Dooney and Burke and of course, Gucci. And people love flaunting logos because it shows everyone that they can afford to buy a designer bag. Sure, we may like the logo bags, but we also take pride in knowing we can buy these bags and we like to show off a bit. I think it's also a bit of insecurity on the designer's part who thinks that if there's not a big logo, people won't buy it. It's also good advertising.
But it's tiring and a lot of the logo bags just look tacky.
Time to get over the logo.

Still love my LV monogram no matter what...

I think logos are vulgar when they are overdone. Wearing logos head-to-toe is vulgar to me, and it makes you look like a fashion victim. However, I don't think wearing a monogram bag with a plain outfit and subtle jewelry constitutes vulgarity.

ITA.
And to the OP, I don't think "vulgar" is quite the right word...obnoxious or garish might be more along the lines of what you're thinking about.