Do it Yourself Rubber Soles?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have a few of pairs of pre-owned LV high heeled shoes that I really love. They are in almost perfect condition. Only the soles are scuffed a bit, which I thought might help to make them less slippery.

Unfortunately, I've found that the soles remain pretty slippery, especially on concrete. I even slipped and fell in my driveway!

So even though I'm a bit hesitant to alter the shoes in any way, I know that I need to put rubber soles on the bottoms. I went to a local shoe repair service and asked to see an example of their work, but they didn't have an example.

I may eventually have rubber soles put on the shoes by a professional. But in the meantime, I'm thinking about putting some do-it-yourself rubber soles onto the shoes.

Can anyone recommend where I can get these rubber soles? (I think they are called "foot petals"). Do they work as well as if a professional were to put rubber soles on your shoes?

I'm thinking that trying out the DIY rubber soles will be a good transitional step before having them done professionally. Has anyone here ever tried these? Thanks!

2. I believe most of the foot petals are cushion to put inside the shoe, but they do have "bottom sole" ones as well: http://www.footpetals.com/event/catalog:detail/catalogCode/Sole-Stopperz-FP625/categoryCode

There's the "Sole stopperz" which would be something you'd be looking for? It says:

Includes 2 pairs per package
    Stick-on has adhesive backing that adheres to bottom of sole
    Lasts approximately 3 months of regular use
    Not recommended for removal/reuse
    Made in the USA

I have not tried these but I wonder how they'd cope in wet circumstances? I'd hate it if the glue got sticky in the bottom! Though if you're going to put permanent rubber soles anyway that would not matter?

3. I've had both the "sole stopperz" and professional rubber soles put on my shoes. The professional ones are better, IMO. They last longer, cover more of the sole, and are thicker. The sticky sole stopperz only cover a small portion of the shoe and tend to peel off. They're good for a quick fix or shoes that you didn't spend too much on--otherwise, they just delay the amount of time you can wait before getting to a cobbler for a real rubber sole.