Do I REALLY need it?

BowieFan1971

Cat mom, wife, mother of a US Navy corpsman
Jun 19, 2020
Atlanta
I have an Alma mono and love the look and the history and I have a Papillon 30 DE, which I love as well. Think I may love DE more than mono. Both are vintage.

My dilemma- I just saw an Alma DE at a great price and my heart is beating faster. It is soooo gorgeous. But while I love the Alma, because of the structure, I really would only use it in fall/winter/early spring because, to me, it is too formal for the looser summer clothes I wear. It looks even more formal in the DE in my eyes.

So, all that considered, do I get it? I don’t NEED it and it is not exactly cheap, but I WANT it and could easily resell it if I don’t use it. It would not bankrupt me to buy it, but I did not set money aside for it, nor was I especially looking for one. It is, however, available at a price I could not plan seeing it again anytime soon in the condition it is in. But is more than I have ever spent on a bag before by a good bit. Using my money, but the hubby would look twice.

JadaStormy

Jan 23, 2012
houstatlantavegas
Ultimately only you know your financial situation and whether or not the purchase will cause a rift with your husband. I pretty much buy bags immediately when I find them at great price and I feel that rush. Then later on the bag usually gets sold. :lol: But as long as the price is low enough that I can resell and make my money back, I go for it.

You already have an alma, perhaps you should look for a speedy or different shape bag?

Reactions: BowieFan1971

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
of course don’t do it if it will adversely affect your budget or relationships. Having said that,
I say, yes, if you truly love it and can see using it enough to justify the DH eye roll. I say no, if you really th8nk it will sit in your closet bc it’s too formal, until you end uo selling it.

having said all that, I prefer not to spend outside my comfort zone on bags as I tend to give ‘not quite right’ bags to family members rather than consign. . . I’ve had too many instances of consigning away something and then deciding a few years later that it was perfect and had to repurchase. . .

BowieFan1971

Jun 19, 2020
Atlanta
Ultimately only you know your financial situation and whether or not the purchase will cause a rift with your husband. I pretty much buy bags immediately when I find them at great price and I feel that rush. Then later on the bag usually gets sold. :lol: But as long as the price is low enough that I can resell and make my money back, I go for it.

You already have an alma, perhaps you should look for a speedy or different shape bag?
of course don’t do it if it will adversely affect your budget or relationships. Having said that,
I say, yes, if you truly love it and can see using it enough to justify the DH eye roll. I say no, if you really th8nk it will sit in your closet bc it’s too formal, until you end uo selling it.

having said all that, I prefer not to spend outside my comfort zone on bags as I tend to give ‘not quite right’ bags to family members rather than consign. . . I’ve had too many instances of consigning away something and then deciding a few years later that it was perfect and had to repurchase. . .
Some good thoughts...thank you. Though I am going to sit on it a wee bit to see if I still really want it/keep thinking about it, I think I thought of a good compromise.
I turn 50 in January....a big milestone that I wanted to do something special for, since birthdays were never a big thing in my family due to how close it is to Christmas (my sister’s is Dec 1). I could always buy it, clean it, wrap it and put it away until my birthday. That way I get the deal AND I get something special for my birthday that I really want. :smile:

If it sells in the meantime, I will save money until then and buy one for my birthday.

Last edited:

BowieFan1971

Jun 19, 2020
Atlanta
Decided to go for it after some thought. Put my black St Jacques up for sale (1 in, 1 out) to make room and help pay for it. Also got a small concession from the seller. Will be ordering it tonight! Still intending it as a birthday present. Told my hubby about it all and he’s fine.

BowieFan1971

Jun 19, 2020
Atlanta
She arrived yesterday! I spent an hour cleaning and polishing, but it was worth it. I got her for $540...an offer I could not refuse.

After perusing the internet and seeing how great she looks with black, I know she is versatile enough to be a wonderful addition to my bags. :smile:

So happy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

bagshopr

O.G.
Apr 6, 2007
U.S.A.
She arrived yesterday! I spent an hour cleaning and polishing, but it was worth it. I got her for $540...an offer I could not refuse.

After perusing the internet and seeing how great she looks with black, I know she is versatile enough to be a wonderful addition to my bags. :smile:

So happy!

View attachment 4869638

View attachment 4869639
Beautiful bag! You will enjoy having her.

Reactions: BowieFan1971