Do I pull the trigger on...

Juda

O.G.
Apr 23, 2009
The karung Cabat?
I'm going this weekend to see it in person...but until then I would appreciate your input.
I have a love/hate relationship with cabats and thought I'm over them.
I downsized my collection to 3 Ostrich cabats.
But then I saw the lovely grietje thread and I started obsessing over the karung Cabat

Attachments

• IMG_20170125_001533.png
    IMG_20170125_001533.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 450
Is this one Banane or Pale? (I'm more curious.)
I may blather on so I apologize in advance.

The bag: As you know, I have one. It's still pretty stiff but I admit that I am not using it in this wet/cold/grey weather. I figure it'll get a lot more use once it's sunnier. The sizing is the newer sizing so if your other Cabat are older, you'll find this one is a bit taller and the strap a bit longer. It does wear a bit bigger than the old size medium Cabat. Because I have not worn it a ton, I cannot speak to wear on the corners, skin, etc.

The emotion: I can only speak for myself but there was absolutely no hesitation on my part. I knew I wanted one, inquired on the special order, learned it existed, got it on consignment, and it never left my house. I had several days to decide and not once was there a question.

Even though you're going in person, I advise you to see if you can consign it. Get it in your house, with your clothes, and without the hype/pressure/amplification of the boutique. Consignment is typically 48 hours. Try it on with all kinds of clothes, put your things in it, put it in various rooms in different lighting, and just 'assess.'

Griet's gut: Pass. You're already doubting. "should I pull the trigger? ", "love/hate relationship with Cabat". This does not sound good to me. For well over $16k, even if you're very comfortable financially, it's not a good decision if you aren't absolutely sure.

Another thought: Special order!!! Do you have a style of BV you love? Then see about a special order in Karung for it. That's how mine started. I went to the stitching event, saw a lovely shoulder bag in Karung and that inspired my hunt!

Last edited:
BVettes are the best !!!!
Thanks a lot for your replies ladies.
Twin-fun - I wish I can be more like you, I have to own the bag that I admire :nuts:

Grietje - that's exactly why I posted before going to see the bag in person...I am worried about the hype, amplification and the intoxicating BV leather smell.
The boutique where I live doesn't consign bags.
But I appreciate the advice.
I am interested bec it is a very unique bag.
I love BV and like most of you I was attracted to the brand because of its simplicity and elegance.
But I'm loving the fact that the Karung Cabat is a statement piece.
I have two other Karung bags so I'm familiar with the leather.

Contact the Carmel boutique. Ask for David and tell him Gigi sent you. I bet he can get your Cabat and consign it to you.

And I apologize if I sound/wrote negatively. That's what I hate about this written world. You don't see eyes that are excited and full of compassion and the initial gasp of "ooooh she's getting one." I come from a place of utmost respect and caring.
And finally, I love my Karung Cabat. Make sure the Banane is not too yellow for you. The Pale reads neutral but in some lighting looks very pink. Given that I love pink, it wasn't an issue for me.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your reply, I don't live in the USA - this is the problem.
I saw your reveal and your pix, you can't sound negative.
Your positivity shines through your beautiful smile.
You have no idea how much I appreciate your input.

Juda's back! Welcome back, Juda! Nice to see you again.

I believe that you'll know the answer when you go see it this weekend. You've already been down this road before, collecting Cabats, then finding new homes for ones that weren't the "best" ones for you. Now you have that learning experience, so I think you're well-equipped to make this decision when you get to see the karung Cabat in person.

I went through a "Cabat fever" phase, too. I've owned 6 different Cabats, 5 from the boutique and one via a special PFer. I've enjoyed them all, actually, but I decided that 4 of them are "keepers," and the other 2 were ready for new owners. Along the way, I've passed on several, even after obsessing over online photos of them. Once I saw them, the reality didn't match up to what I wanted, and I knew it. For each one that I passed on, I was wishing it were somehow a little bit different (wishing the color were a little different, wishing it wasn't so shiny, wishing it was a more durable leather for what I wanted, etc.).

There will always be a "next time," too. My most recent Cabat was sent for my consideration from the boutique, and within a few minutes, I knew that it was meant to be mine. It's an older piece, and I had thought that the style had been sold out. I got really lucky! I am not an impulse buyer, so I thought about it for a little while, but I did get it and was actually feeling happy when I paid for it. It's a much better feeling than buying something with a little anxiety about whether I'm making the right decision, for sure.

This pretty much sums up my own test, and it works for BV (and Hermes, too). How excited am I when I go to finalize the purchase and pay for it? If I feel any doubt about the color, leather, size, or anything--I walk away to think about it, and generally, I end up relieved that I didn't buy it. I admit that sometimes I get in the mood to buy a new bag--just because I want to. But rather than make a less than ideal choice just for the sake of buying, I wait, sometimes for years. For me, that's better than ending up with something that's not quite right, wishing it were somehow different, wishing that I liked it more. Something better always comes along.

Good luck with your decision! Like I said at the beginning, I think you'll know whether it's meant to be yours or not.

hi juda- so nice to see you - hope all is well-
i too went through cabat fever and wound up finding new homes for most of them.
you know how i feel about your collection and if you are not loving them i don't think you need another- i too feel the pull of the cabat but the sky high price point and the poor resale have kept me in check.
i did recently purchase a bv that i am enjoying- i will do a reveal when i'm sure it's a keeper-
anyway, good to "see" you again.

Reactions: LT bag lady
Thank you ladies for your help.
Thank you Blueiris for the warm welcome, it is amazing how we all went through the same thing.
you are spot on, it is as if you are describing me.

Annie-so nice to see you here.
Yes it is the cabat pull, I have resisted it many times but it seems harder this time.

Blueiris and Annie (and other sweet bvettes) - what are your thought about this particular cabat?

Grietje- I pmed you and again I really appreciate your help.

Blueiris and Annie (and other sweet bvettes) - what are your thought about this particular cabat?

I haven't seen it in person, but from the photo, I know that the color just would not look good on me. The boutique I worked with offered me a tourmaline karung Cabat, though. I passed on it because I already have a tourmaline vachette Cabat that I really enjoy, and so it would have been too similar to what I have. I have a special order karung Stretch Knot in nero, so I don't have anything against karung. But for a larger statement piece like a Cabat, it would have to be the perfect color for me to feel good while carrying it.

Thank you blueiris again for your input.
Bvettes, tpfers I just want you to know what an exceptionally sweet and generous our dearest grietje is.
She is one of the kindest people that I have encountered in my life, she is that special.

Reactions: frenziedhandbag
Juda, I am so happy to see you. Stop by anytime, there is always he chat thread. We don't care if you are buying a BV, we missed you and want to know how you are doing. The Cabat is pretty nice, though.

Juda, I am so happy to see you. Stop by anytime, there is always he chat thread. We don't care if you are buying a BV, we missed you and want to know how you are doing. The Cabat is pretty nice, though.
Thank you so much for your warm welcome.
Bvettes are so refined and elegant in every sense: taste, personality and behaviour.