Do I need to use hair conditioner?

manimani

Jul 11, 2009
I have kind of oily hair that tends to be pretty flat, so I don't like using conditioners because they seem to weigh my hair down even more. Now I just use shampoo, but I don't know if this is too drying on my hair since I wash my hair every day...I mean, it comes out still silky and nice afterwards (even without conditioners)

Is it horrible for my hair if I skip out on it?

Also, can anyone recommend me a good drugstore shampoo that I can use daily on my hair? I don't have TERRIBLY oily hair so I am resisting using something made for that... I just want a more mild shampoo that's not a baby one :/ I use Herbal Essences right now and my scalp always itches like crazy, so I probably need to switch (although I love the smell)

I heard that it's best not to use shampoos with sulfates in them, but only cheaper brands have no sulfates (Suave, for example)...I am thinking of switching to Dove. Is that a good idea?

TIA!

ive heard its not good to conditioner all the time. and when you do to only apply to the ends of your hair! ive tried suave and that dried my scalp out bad...i like dove products alot. try a volumizing shampoo??

if you cut out sulfates, youll have to cut out silicones in the rest of your products. Silicones will build up on your hair unless they are washed out with sulfate shampoos, which are very harsh. Try the Giovanni hair products, Ive seen them at target and Im told walmart has them too. Their shampoos/conditioners are sulfate and silicone free.

I heard that it's best not to use shampoos with sulfates in them, but only cheaper brands have no sulfates (Suave, for example)...I am thinking of switching to Dove. Is that a good idea?

I have surper oily hair and use Dove. It doesn't make my head itch, smells great and I have no problems with it. TBH, my hair is MUCH worse when I don't use conditioner, so I can't help you out there. It's very coarse and frizzier without conditioner, but manages to become very oily the next day also if that makes any sense! So, I use conditioner, a little bit, not a lot, on my whole head when I wash my hair also.

P.S. Garnier is a good drugstore brand also and goes on sale at CVS/Rite Aid for like $1 quite often!

You don't need to use hair conditioner as such - some overseas friends of mine were extremely surprised to hear about conditioner, as they had never used it.

You can experiment and find out what's best for you, whether it's shampoo only, conditioner on the ends only, or a treatment after hair is washed and dried. If you're getting on fine with just shampooing then don't worry!

Although about the brand, you only want drugstore brands? Neutrogena or Timotei have been good for me in the past, have you tried them?

Personally I smooth a tiny bit of jojoba oil on the ends and then mix a few drops of jojoba oil with my shampoo and skip the conditioner, the jojoba conditions the scalp and keeps the ends healthy.