Do I go home today? A heartbreaking poem

This thread made me cry, especially because time is running out for my dear old "Chance" and it's real easy to cry at the moment. I told my husband I wasn't having any more dogs when Chance is gone, it's too painful when they leave. But after reading this thread I've changed my mind. When the time comes, I'm going to our local shelter and I'm going to pick the oldest, ugliest, least-likely-to-find-a-home, nobody-wants-me-it's-my-last-day dog and he/she will be my new pal. I know we may not have much time together but we'll have a good time together.

That is such a great idea, dallas. In the future I would like to adopt older dogs regularly, since they are often not adopted out as quickly as the young ones are. You just have to approach it differently than you would if you were adopting a younger dog, knowing that you won't have many many years together, but that you are giving the dog dignity and a loving end to their life. You can also learn a lot from an older dog, even if the time together is brief.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Their time with us is never long enough, and no matter how much you try to you can never quite prepare yourself for the loss. It's so hard when you know the time is coming. Last year we had to say goodbye to our dog of sixteen years - I had gotten her when I was in kindergarten! It was very hard, but her time had come and it was for the best. One thing that made me feel a little better was donating to our humane society in her memory.

That is such a great idea, dallas. In the future I would like to adopt older dogs regularly, since they are often not adopted out as quickly as the young ones are. You just have to approach it differently than you would if you were adopting a younger dog, knowing that you won't have many many years together, but that you are giving the dog dignity and a loving end to their life. You can also learn a lot from an older dog, even if the time together is brief.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Their time with us is never long enough, and no matter how much you try to you can never quite prepare yourself for the loss. It's so hard when you know the time is coming. Last year we had to say goodbye to our dog of sixteen years - I had gotten her when I was in kindergarten! It was very hard, but her time had come and it was for the best. One thing that made me feel a little better was donating to our humane society in her memory.

^^ :yes:

Hi guys....

I was sooo moved by this poem and wanted just to share....:crybaby:

http://www.geocities.com/dennis_smith362/p5.htm
:cry: OH MY GAWD......how sad is that??? It makes me feel so bad because I adopted my baby from a shelter just days before....you know.....and we love her sooooo much that we can't even imagine someone giving her up. She's beautiful, and sweet....:crybaby:if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go cuddle my puppy.

:crybaby:

ruby is a shelter dog that they were going to euthanize in less than 24 hours. she had been adopted and "returned" and deemed "unadoptable" because she was ugly.

it was their loss. my beautiful baby is amazing.

ruby.jpg

UGLY??? She's one of the most beautiful dog's I've ever seen! She looks like a little angel....awww...yes please let us know when she comes home....I get a lump in my throat everytime I see your thread....

I adopted my HoneyBun (yellow lab) when she was nine years old. She was turned in to rescue becaues her human "couldn't stand to watch her die of old age":cursing: She lived to be 15 1/2 and we still miss her every day.

Two of our other little monkey mutts are rescues that said "we like it here, will you be our mommy and daddy?"

People who don't care for their pets really, really, really piss me off and make me sad:crybaby: