Do I go home today? A heartbreaking poem

Reg was 10 when I got him from a shelter. I really think for the first 3 or 4 months that I had him he thought his people were going to come and get him.

I'm pretty sure they had a Dodge Pickup - He'd wag his tail whenever her heard one.

I'm pretty sure he was the husband's dog - He preferred men to women.

I'm pretty sure they were smokers - he instantly loves ANYONE who smells of cigarett smoke and always tries to pick up cigarett butts when we are out walking.

I'm pretty sure he was with a large family - he is never happier than when I have a bunch of people over.

The first time I was packing for a weekend away I noticed that he was getting very sad (he thought he was going to the kennel) Now he has his own LLBean Boat and knows when it's getting packed - it means a road trip for him!

He's my baby now!!!!

This thread made me cry, especially because time is running out for my dear old "Chance" and it's real easy to cry at the moment. I told my husband I wasn't having any more dogs when Chance is gone, it's too painful when they leave. But after reading this thread I've changed my mind. When the time comes, I'm going to our local shelter and I'm going to pick the oldest, ugliest, least-likely-to-find-a-home, nobody-wants-me-it's-my-last-day dog and he/she will be my new pal. I know we may not have much time together but we'll have a good time together.

I haven't regretted adopting a 10-yr old dog :heart::heart::heart:(he's 15 now.) I got him from a no-kill shelter - The woman at the shelter told me they almost didn't take him in because they really didn't think they could find him a home at his age! Imagine that - I can't!!!!

:crybaby:

ruby is a shelter dog that they were going to euthanize in less than 24 hours. she had been adopted and "returned" and deemed "unadoptable" because she was ugly.

it was their loss. my beautiful baby is amazing.

ruby.jpg

This thread made me cry, especially because time is running out for my dear old "Chance" and it's real easy to cry at the moment. I told my husband I wasn't having any more dogs when Chance is gone, it's too painful when they leave. But after reading this thread I've changed my mind. When the time comes, I'm going to our local shelter and I'm going to pick the oldest, ugliest, least-likely-to-find-a-home, nobody-wants-me-it's-my-last-day dog and he/she will be my new pal. I know we may not have much time together but we'll have a good time together.

Dallas, you're an angel! It's really brave to make that decision right now and I'd bet Chance would wholeheartedly approve. I know Sam wanted us to get another dog soon after he died because we are completely convinced he picked her out and sent me to go get her that day. Even our vet agreed with us that she was Sam's doing. :heart:

Why oh why do I click when I know I shouldn't??? :cry:

Okay, we need something to make us laugh/smile. Let me dig one up of my girls (both from the shelter; actually, we found Ginger on the highway, she was thin and had been abused, we then adopted her through our humane society).

dogsfunny.jpg

How beautiful is that!!!!!!!!!! You are a inspiration!!!!! My heart and prayers goes out to you and your angel Chance......

I think of this poem whenever I see a dog get scolded or when I get upset with my own precious Yorkie......they are dogs after all and I remind myself to accept them, faults and all.....just like they accept me.....:yes: