Travel Do European hotels hate kids?

Oct 30, 2006
We are thinking of going to Europe this summer and I have been checking out hotels. MANY of them say there are no rooms available when you select kids and have rooms available when you enter 0 children. I was thinking maybe you just need to select 2 rooms because they can only allow 2 people per room but that wasn't it. Put any kids in and it says no rooms. I have probably had this happen in 10 hotels already.

There are many hotels that aren't favorable toward children. I do know that most will force you I to two rooms because they are so small. I would stick to the bigger US chain hotels.

Hihi! I cannot believe my eyes when I saw your thread! Same thing happened to me when I tried to book a room for our upcomg trip in London. Anyhow, we decided to pick up the phone to call and the answer was very positive! They can easily put in a toddler crib for us. We did choose a Spanish chain, NH. Good luck with your search!:smile:

I think a big part of it is that a lot of european hotel rooms don't accommodate more than 2 people. I often travel with my parents (so a group of 3) and run into this problem, and I'm 30+, not a kid.

(maybe a kid issue sometimes too though, as you've said you don't think it's this problem.)

We had a similar issue in canada.. And our daughter is an adult.. Rooms are for 2 people.. S we ended up getting a jr suite and that worked out just fine

Where are you traveling? Would apartment rentals be an option? If you are visiting Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, London, Istanbul, or Lisbon, you should check out cross-pollinate.com to find an apartment.
They are recommended by Rick Steves; we used them to book a place in Rome and loved it.

I have never had this problem. DH and I have traveled extensively throughout Europe with our children and have yet to stay in a hotel that "hates kids".

I'm thinking it's more likely a computer problem. They are likely looking for a room that will accomdate 3, which probably isn't available.

Your best bet is to call or e-mail.

Where are you traveling? Would apartment rentals be an option? If you are visiting Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, London, Istanbul, or Lisbon, you should check out cross-pollinate.com to find an apartment.
They are recommended by Rick Steves; we used them to book a place in Rome and loved it.

I don't want to do an apartment. We will not be in any one city more than 4 nights and I want a little higher service with having the kids.

I have never had this problem. DH and I have traveled extensively throughout Europe with our children and have yet to stay in a hotel that "hates kids".

I'm thinking it's more likely a computer problem. They are likely looking for a room that will accomdate 3, which probably isn't available.

Your best bet is to call or e-mail.

No, I wasn't trying to accommodate 3. I even put 2 rooms with one adult and one child each. Almost every time I entered a child, it said no rooms available.