do EDITHs hold their value?

If you ask the SA at the department store whether or not the bag is a return they will let you know (if they are honest). That way you'll know if the bag you received was being lugged around all year.

I think only major department stores like Saks and Neiman Marcus have this flexible return policy. Boutiques usually have very very strict policies.

I know some people are very offended by this and that's okay. I myself have purchased returned bags that were so gently used they still looked brand new. If a bag is hard to get, some people don't mind paying full price for a return. I have heard horror stories about returns having hair, food and even tampons inside and that is not only disgusting, but wrong. I don't carry a lot in my bags; the insides never get stained, and the outsides don't sit on anything but my file cabinet at work or my hall table at home. These aren't bags I use everyday and take to the grocery store, nail/hair salon, etc. I won't even put them on the floor or take them to the bathroom! They are for work only, so when I say a fair amount I'm speaking like less than 10x since I can't rotate my bags frequently enough to use them a lot.

As LG stated, s/a's are usually very good about stating the bag has been returned. Some will even offer a small discount for that fact (I've received 10% off someone else's return just because it was used.).

And is this any different than going into a store and trying on/buying "new" clothes? Consider the people who have tried them on before you did. What if they had their period or were sweating or didn't shower that morning? Think of all the bags that are purchased via charge-send and go back and forth through the mail. They are handled for packaging, unpacked and handled, tried on and "auditioned" by their potential new owners (who may not have washed their hands after using the bathroom and trying on the new bag!), then returned for credit. Maybe those bags didn't leave the house, but they are no longer in their never touched, pristine state.

Anyway, let's get back on topic. I respect your opinion and am giving you my own.

wow Roey, you have really got me thinking about where our bags might have been now. I can honestly say I have never really thought before about people touching all of the bags and clothes, and if they had clean hands! wow, our so called brand new items might well have been touched by hundreds of people before we take them home.

I guess it is very different over here in the UK, to the point where we moan about a return sometimes not being worth the effort as such strict guidelines are in place.

sorry, will try and stay on topic, but cannot stop thinking about dirty hands on stuff now :biggrin:

I wrote that Chloe-babe because I'm rather OCD about hand-washing and sanitizing. I even keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol on my desk to disinfect my office and such. Nothing irks me more than being in a department store witnessing people having sneezing fits into their hands then merrily going along and touching the clothes/bags/shoes. I carry wipes with me to sanitize the handles of shopping carts, LOL!

Back to Edith. To gloss_gal: Yes, my chamois is the medium size.

^^Wow, now I know I'm not the only one who is OCD about hand-washing and sanitizing after handling things (I even use paper towels to open the door when leaving the ladies room at work) you won't believe how many women walk straight out of the ladies room w/o washing their hands! Anyway, thanks for all of the info on the Edith! I really love the Whiskey, and I'm planning on getting one soon...I know Aloha Rag has them now. Hopefully they'll still be there after I recover from my previous bag purchases.

roey - I think I was more shocked at the idea that the department store allowed returns after such a long period of time and when it is fairly safe to assume the item would have been used.
Like chloe-babe said, things are vastly different in the UK.

Back to the resale value of the Edith - I'm sorry I haven't a clue. I think there's a general trend in the prices for high-end bags. A high premium is charged initially when the item is new or difficult to find. Once it's been out a few months then retail is what I'd expect. After that, I'm thinking anything from 50 - 75% sometimes less.

You know how a car loses value as soon as it is taken off the lot? Handbags are very much the same way. No matter how pristine a condition it is in the buyer will automatically expect to pay less because it has been handled and "used". True, handbags at the department store have been handled and used. But somehow imagining the handbag sitting at someone's home effects the buyer.

"Used" Ediths are going for anywhere between $800-$1000 resale, from what I have experienced. For a handbag that was just released this past spring I think that is a big drop, especially when you consider the fact that it comes to around $1375 after taxes. Resale paddingtons are going for anywhere between $800-$1100K. I think you will be hard pressed to find a paddington that goes for more (unless it is a special edition). Reasons for the paddington is because of the flukish sale last spring. A lot of people think that if they are patient they will go on sale again. I personally think it will only be that one time because of the overstock. But who knows? I think the resale paddingtons will increase when people realize that the sale may not happen again.

So to recap...I'm not convinced that the Edith is a good bag for resale. But then again, do you buy a bag for resale or because you love it? I guess that is a personal choice.

EDIT: Oh, and Roey, I read that grocery cart handles are THE #1 bacteria ridden thing a person can touch! :yucky:

estile said:
roey - I think I was more shocked at the idea that the department store allowed returns after such a long period of time and when it is fairly safe to assume the item would have been used.
Like chloe-babe said, things are vastly different in the UK.

^^Yes, like Saks - Neiman-Marcus has a VERY liberal return policy. To be honest it's one of the reasons I purchase my bags from them. Sometimes it take me more than 7-14 days to decide if i'm going to keep a bag or not. I like to try it on at home, with different outfits, etc. - also I need to see if it's really going to "go" with my wardrobe. I like knowing that I can return a bag (unused or in impeccable condition) if I want to.

On one side I think it's nice that your big departtment store are so generous with their return policy but on the other side I think it's not o.k. to wear a bag even if it's just 10 times and than return it as new and the next buyer gets a worn bag. Our return guidelines here are much stricter: 14 days is the return policy and most of the time you can just get another item not the cash. It's different when a bag has defaults than you get back your money. I actually prefer the strict return policy because it makes you think twice about a new purchase and you can be sure that you get an unworn bag.
The resale value of the Edith is still pretty high here as the bags are so hard to find.

Tanja said:
On one side I think it's nice that your big departtment store are so generous with their return policy but on the other side I think it's not o.k. to wear a bag even if it's just 10 times and than return it as new and the next buyer gets a worn bag. Our return guidelines here are much stricter: 14 days is the return policy and most of the time you can just get another item not the cash. It's different when a bag has defaults than you get back your money. I actually prefer the strict return policy because it makes you think twice about a new purchase and you can be sure that you get an unworn bag.
The resale value of the Edith is still pretty high here as the bags are so hard to find.

I agree that it sucks to go into the department store thinking your getting a new bag when the bag could have been anywhere! :sad:

However, the 14 day return policy doesn't really safeguard you either. What if someone buys the bag and for 14 straight days wears it out clubbing, to dinner, to school, to the grocery store and then returns it? :yucky: As opposed to someone who has it for 2 months who never took it out of the dustbag? Or when they did they just took it to work (as Roey mentioned) where it pretty much sat on a desk like it would on a display shelve?

While I agree with most that it's not fair to the new buyer I like the flexible return policy because...let's be frank, these bags are expensive! I better like them if I'm spending this kinda money. It's good to know that, within reason and with respect to the future buyer, I can return the bag if I am unhappy.

I would never never take back a abused or imperfect bag. But would I return a bag that was sitting in my closet in its dustbag? You bet!

lordguinny said:
I agree that it sucks to go into the department store thinking your getting a new bag when the bag could have been anywhere! :sad:

However, the 14 day return policy doesn't really safeguard you either. What if someone buys the bag and for 14 straight days wears it out clubbing, to dinner, to school, to the grocery store and then returns it? :yucky: As opposed to someone who has it for 2 months who never took it out of the dustbag? Or when they did they just took it to work (as Roey mentioned) where it pretty much sat on a desk like it would on a display shelve?

While I agree with most that it's not fair to the new buyer I like the flexible return policy because...let's be frank, these bags are expensive! I better like them if I'm spending this kinda money. It's good to know that, within reason and with respect to the future buyer, I can return the bag if I am unhappy.

I would never never take back a abused or imperfect bag. But would I return a bag that was sitting in my closet in its dustbag? You bet!

^^I agree 100% with everything LG said.

^ I think if you tried to return a bag to the chloe boutique that smelled like smoke or was dirty, they would have no problem refusing the return even if it was within the 14 day period. NAP and LVR put tags on the outside of their bags and will not accept returns if the tag has been removed. I think its only a matter of time before the high end dept stores adopt a policy similar to NAP and LVR and start attaching tags which must remain on the bag in order for it to be returned. They already do this with fancy gowns to stop the wear and return cycle.

Here the shops aren't legally forced to give a return policy at all so even if they give you one it means that the guidelines are super strict: You can return an item if it was a gift and you didn't like it or something is wrong with it. That's it and they just accept a return if the tags are still attached so the possibility that you get an used item are pretty rare because you can't use the item with the tags still attached (they're placed very obvious) e.g. Chloe just accepts returns if the item is faulty no other exceptions. When you buy a gift there or atmany other high end stores for someone they write it on the receipt that this is a gift and therefor the person who received it can get an exchange within 7 days. But we have a very long warranty period which is 2 years. I wouldn't take a bag or any other item back just because I changed my mind even if it just sat in my closet. Because of the strict store policies I'm actually forced to really think about it before I buy it and spend big $ on it because I don't have the safety net of returning. As much as I would love that the German customer service would improve that's one of the rules I like because it's fair to all buyers IMO.