Do designer shoes "feel" different?

I find that designer shoes are much more comfortable for me, and require less wearing in than inexpensive shoes from regular stores. I always try to buy real leather as well as they will give to fit your foot.

Agree with the durability and lasts longer. Also better quality.

They definitely feel different... not all but most of them I have bought are much more comfortable. They stretch better to mould to my feet.
Before, I only bought luxury handbags.. for shoes, I always bought cheap shoes - nine west, wittner, wanted (Australian high street brands). I would wear them for 12 months and chuck them.. buy some new pairs etc..
When pointy heels became fashionable, I bought a nude pair from nine west and I had the biggest fall on a titled food court at lunchtime. I was so mortified, embarrassed and in severe pain for months. I realised I tripped over my pointy part of the shoes... i still shudder from the embarrassment.
The shoe box was designed really long... quite unnecessarily and of course, I'm sure not all non-designer shoes are designed this poorly but this is when I switched and will never go back.
I bought basic styles from JC, Gianvito Rossi, Chanel, Saint Laurent, Chloe to start. Feet is so important... I refuse to wear crap shoes anymore.
Of course, they are expensive and I don't have lots of $$.. I try to buy shoes when they are on sale. The material, design (even if it is a generic design), the comfort makes it worth it. In order to keep my shoes longer, I leave my pumps/heels at work. I have several walking shoes - Tods that I wear to and from work.
Some of my JCs are now 4+years old and they are absolutely fine.... almost look like new and so I think it is actually not that expensive...

Yes. There's a certain point where you start paying for embellishments, etc but there is really a difference. Better materials, better construction. When your feet hurt all of you does. This is something both my mom and dad taught me and always made sure I was wearing comfortable shoes... or I had a pair to change into if my plastic princess shoes started hurting.

Of course, some of my expensive shoes have their moments (super round toe Chanel Cambon flats, I'm looking at you) but on the whole I'm much more comfortable in designer shoes.

Plus quite a few of my designer shoes have come from thrift or consignment stores. $4 vintage Ferragamo pumps feel just as nice as new ones to me!

I have tried some $50 shoes, some $100ish shoes, some $350ish shoes, and some $700ish shoes. I definitely notice physical differences from $50 to $100ish, and from $100ish to $350ish. Better quality materials, nicer shape, heel more centered under my weight, more comfortable after break-in, etc. I don't know what to look for with physical differences between the $350ish shoes and the $700ish shoes. But I do notice the "emotional differences" that some other people already mentioned.

Omg yes. You step into a good pair of shoes and it's like a gateway drug. Mine was Dolce& Gabana followed by Jimmy Choo. One of the best things about good shoes is that a shoe repair guy can keep them fresh. Leather can be reworked plastic cannot. Your price per wear on a classic shoe. Ie a Jimmy Choo Anouk pump in a neutral will go years maybe decades with care. A cheapie should couldn't go that distance.

Sent from my LG-K550 using PurseForum mobile app

So true re price per wear. I bought my first pair of designer shoes (Jimmy Choo 'Scent') 15 years ago, when I was just 15. Not only have they lasted in terms of not having fallen apart, but the style hasn't dated, either. Can't say the same for cheaper shoes I've purchased.

Reactions: Stephanieg218
In my experience thus far, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in terms of quality. In fact, some of my designer shoes have had a much shorter lifespan than my cheaper one's *cough* Tory Burch *cough. When it comes to comfort, my designer shoes have definitely made walking around London a more pleasant experience. What makes me go the extra mile for designer shoes is the style/design. I like adding a sophisticated edge to my outfit and for me, it's designer shoes that let me achieve this. Not to mention they give me an ego boost (lol) that makes me feel CONFIDENT.

Yes, you can FEEL the difference! My feet always tend to hurt in cheap shoes after just 2 hours wearing them. I also have to admit that I don't watch out for cheap shoes and take care of them... As I started buying shoes made of good quality I treat them as good as I can as I want to have them a long time.
I own a pair of Escada flat boots they were retail about 400-500 €. I still have them and it's been about 5-6 year back when I bought them on sale for just 80 €! If you don't want to spend too much money though I can recommend the brand BALDININI. They are having sales on the website too where you could grab a bargain in case of the price AND quality! These shoes can Keep up with the quality if shoes like Jimmy Choo, Louboutin etc! I know a pair of boots and I LOVE them!

It is a misconception that expensive designer shoes are better made and more comfortable. My experience has been that moderately prices shoes are the most comfortable and most durable. Every designer shoes/boot/ankle boot that I have purchased is NOT as comfortable as more moderately priced shoes and they always have some problem. Expensive shoes are really mostly for fashion. You are paying extra for the brand name and not for quality and comfort. If you are going for comfort, you don't have to spend a lot. For example, my steve madden ankle boots are a thousand times more comfortable than my Ferragamo Ankle boots.

I definitely feel the difference in material from really cheap shoes vs. designer, but that is due to the material used, like cheap plasticky linings that don't make your feet breathe and such poor construction that the shoe disintegrates after a few wears.

There are many mid-range/high street brands that make quality shoes with good materials. I buy designer shoes for the quality, fit, AND design. But will never buy a shoe "just because" it is designer. If it's not comfortable AND beautiful, it's not worth the price tag to me.

Case in point: I buy SW boots because I love their quality and fit, but I wouldn't buy the Nudist sandal because it is a very simple, basic shoe style I could buy from Sam Edelman or Nine West for a fraction of the price and the quality and comfort would still be comparable to the $400 version.

Reactions: snibor and blktauna
I just noticed this thread and love the question posted.....

I too when I was younger and poorer, started with brands like Caressa, Allure, Spanish Leather and Pepe Jimenez....I learned quickly during that phase that the materials used made a huge difference in comfort...i.e. leather linings, leather soles much better than synthetic materials....

As my tastes got more expensive, I noticed that I tend to find the shoes made in Italy of much higher quality than those designers that have them made in spain(sorry to the Stuart Weitzman fans-SW made in spain) although SW is a pretty good label.....

But just because they are made in italy, does not mean they are more comfortable.....I think different designers have different ideas of what shape a foot is and how they design to fit that foot.....Although I am a huge Louboutin fan, very few of his style I can honestly say are really comfortable, at least not until they are well broken in.....on the other hand, Gianvito Rossi and Sergio Rossi's with a 100mm heels, I can walk and stand all day in complete comfort and look fantastic doing so.....

I do think designer shoes are more comfortable and better made, especially those that use Italian craftsmanship.....
And I do think to a point, these designers are sort of worth the extra money, but there are limits.....i.e. I mentioned I really like Gianvito Rossi pumps, which sell for $695, but I recently discovered M.Gemi, which makes a very similar pump, also made in italy, that sells for $248.....very similar looks, both equally as comfortable.

I have to admit, though, that I seldom buy designer shoes at full price, and mainly take advantage of biannual sales that they all seem to have(usually 30-40% off original price)....

Anyway, my two cents...for what it's worth....