Do designer handbags last for a lifetime?

stabs

O.G.
Jan 25, 2011
Hi! I'm relatively new in this forum and the world of handbag collection. I just started last year. We always say that these precious handbags are investments, right? So, I'm curious to know and see handbags that are owned 10 years and older. Do they retain their beauty for a long time? Are these handbags truly an investment? Can they stand the test of time?
Kindly post pics of your 10 year old and above handbags with the following details:
year purchased
model/style
Thanks in advance for sharing!

Actually no, they are not considered investments, or if they are, it's not a sensible idea about them. You may want to do a search of this topic, since it's been discussed quite a lot.

That's a good question and welcome! Firstly, bags are never an investment. They depreciate in value but as far as longevity, I remember asking that similar question to the SA at BV and she answered: "There is no handbag that will last forever." My mother would also chime in and say "nothing materialistic should ever outlive her." I do buy expensive bags however, with the premise that they will last. I would hope, that with care and respect to one's bags, that they could last for many many years, to the point where they will "feel" out of style.

Unfortunately I do not have photos to post since I've bought all my daytime bags within the past year or two. I will say this though, I do notice, that as long as you rotate your bags; not wear the same bag day after day for a year, the bag has a better chance of lasting much longer!

I do notice the bags that I passed down to my DD do look a bit worn. They are still in good condition and are holding up well, but do not look new any more. (Bags are approximately 6 yrs. old.)

I wouldn't view them as an investment, because most bags are essentially like cars--- they drop significantly in value the very day that you buy them. Also, again, there are exceptions, but most bag styles aren't "timeless," that is, they may be fashionable now, but even 5 years on down the road you probably won't think they're so fashionable.

I don't have any bags that I bought ten years ago that I'm still using.

That's a good question and welcome! Firstly, bags are never an investment. They depreciate in value but as far as longevity, I remember asking that similar question to the SA at BV and she answered: "There is no handbag that will last forever." My mother would also chime in and say "nothing materialistic should ever outlive her." I do buy expensive bags however, with the premise that they will last. I would hope, that with care and respect to one's bags, that they could last for many many years, to the point where they will "feel" out of style.

Unfortunately I do not have photos to post since I've bought all my daytime bags within the past year or two. I will say this though, I do notice, that as long as you rotate your bags; not wear the same bag day after day for a year, the bag has a better chance of lasting much longer!

I do notice the bags that I passed down to my DD do look a bit worn. They are still in good condition and are holding up well, but do not look new any more. (Bags are approximately 6 yrs. old.)
Agreed

No I don't believe designer handbags are investments for the same reason as the above posters mentioned. I think a handbag lasts for as long as you take care of it. I mean if someone throws it around on the floor, carries it everyday regardless of the weather, etc. then it would be worn down really quick.

Here's one of my two Fendi bags I kept from the mid 1990's which I used for university almost everyday and both still look new and both are about 15 years old. However both are very durable coated canvas with all leather lining. I still carry it from time to time but this bag was basically my go to bag for a few years.
picture.php

This was $600 back then and it was like a huge investment for me being a university student and making next to nothing as a teaching assistant.

I agree with all of the above posters. If you are looking for investments think about the stock market. We have made a lot of money in the last 2 years investing in stocks when most were either selling or not doing anything...this allows me to buy designer bags.

I have a via spiga bag from ~10 years ago. When I get home I'll try to take a pic. It was daily use for about 2 years and now it is occasional use. Compared to when I first purchased, the strap has "curled" upwards a bit, otherwise it looks great. I occasionally remember to condition it every 2 years or so. The leather is still super soft. I bought it at TJ Maxx or Ross or Marshalls for about $100, and it was my first expensive purse.

The only bags I could see being owned for 10 years are the Chanel Jumbo Flaps and a Hermes Birkin. I have a Hermes Bolide in I bought in August 2002 which I still have and plan to have. But that's the only one. Quite frankly, it's something if I keep a bag for a year before selling it and moving on to something else.

I do not think of my bags as investments even though I like to take care of them as if they were. I have bags in my collection that were originally purchased by my grandmother, which later were given to my mother and are now mine. These bags are in decent shape given their age and wear. I suppose that once upon a time bags, like most things, were made to last a lifetime. Some of my more recent purchases are not holding up as well as my vintage ones, which is sad.

Hi..!
Your Question is right? But it is very hard for me. I confused Take it. Because I don't believe designer handbags are investments for the same reason as the above posters mentioned.
Thanks

I wouldn't invest in handbags for the purpose of making money. Bags are fashion accessories, and I believe the fashion world to be fickle so there's too much of a risk to invest in it. That being said, if you buy a classy piece that is limited edition and created by a much-loved designer, there might be a good chance you can make an extra buck. I have a Louis Vuitton papillon designed by Murakami, it's the Eye one, and they are quite pricey on Ebay. These were made in the early 90's and mine's been worn alot so there are a few scratches and cracks on the leather straps, but it still looks fabulous.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is you can take a chance but don't put too much hope in it. Love it for what it is and be proud of your buys. It's fun to show off sometimes ;)

I can answer quite simply by saying I have no bags that have been with me for more than 10 years. Either they wear out, or my lifestyle changes, or my taste changes.

I thought I'd never be bored with my favorite premier designer of 10 years ago, but I am. I thought I'd never be bored with the favorite premier designer of the past 2 years, but lately I am.

I have premium designer bags that have lasted for many years. This isn't just due to their high quality, but because I have several and rotate them. What I also find though is that it's possible to get fed up looking at a particular long-lived bag! That's why I now play around with non-premier and High Street bags. It's a far less expensive pastime. It's also a kind of experiment on the quality of these different sorts of bags. But no way do I want my bags to outlive me, especially when I don't have any daughters! And bags are not investments, any more than cars.

i think premier brands like LV will last longer then a longchamp or coach etc. my mom has had 1 LV for over 20 yrs! that said u cant use it every day during that time. i bag wont look like new yrs later but will still b in good usable condition

for my le pliages or my coach bags i expect a good 5 or more yrs from them caring properly for them and rotating