do companies or small businesses get any benefit for employing minorities?

blah956

Aug 16, 2009
was filling out some paperwork the other day and one was marked "optional" so i skipped it.

then the HR lady came back to me and asked me to fill it out saying something about how the store gets something in return from the state or government for hiring "various types of people" :confused1:

is it like a tax break or extra deductions or something?

Ummm...wow I'm no expert in recruiting or HR but my guess is the business either needs to or wants to report how "diverse" their workforce is? :shrugs:

No matter the reason, I cringe at how that lady approached you to fill out the paperwork...yeeesh.

Yep, how awkward and inappropriate could she have been?

It's true in the US, most public and some private sector companies of any size have recruiting and employee diversity reporting requirements set forth by local, state or federal bodies.

Depending on the requirements and company size, industry and other things, companies may receive certain benefits when they demonstrate they seek, hire and retain a diverse workforce.

That form is optional for an prospective employee to fill out !

it is.. i didn't like being "forced" to fill it out. it was a really weird situation to be in. i really don't want my ethnicity or any disabilities or my sex to be taken into consideration into whether i get hired or not.