Do ALL LV bags have a date code??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input. You are probably right about them being able to spot a fake. And ... you are also right about the LV Web site. I compared the damier zippy organizer there to mine and it's an exact match, down to the last detail. The wallet is so nice and everything is just perfect and authentic about it, so I guess I can rest easy. Well, except the damn date code. It's a 100-mile trek to the LV store, so I am going to keep it and believe it's real, minus the date code.

Sometimes, and rarely, LV bags/small leather goods don't have a date code.

Case and point: A fellow tPF'er, Frozen Alaska, purchased an MC Ursula from eLuxury. There was no date code to be found, but the bag was real.

I recall reading something about a store where SAs took the fake item, didn't recognize it as such and resold it, the person they sold it to raised a stink, is that an urban legend or actually happened? If it does ever happen, it's quite possible that you were resold a fake.

I recall reading something about a store where SAs took the fake item, didn't recognize it as such and resold it, the person they sold it to raised a stink, is that an urban legend or actually happened? If it does ever happen, it's quite possible that you were resold a fake.
i think thats just an urban legend.

OK, the "date code." I'm sorry to be confusing. It does have a serial number, on the tag that came with it. However, it has no date code. I have checked in every crevice, every pocket, everywhere. I am a pro at this, having bought and sold a few bags on eBay (when you need to find the serial number to prove authenticity). Anyway, yes, I did get this at the LV store, but I am concerned because there is not a serial number at all that it was a returned fake item and they unknowingly resold it to me. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this. (I also noticed my wallet has a different zipper pull, the new zipper pull, which is rounded and says "Louis Vuitton," as opposed to the one pictured on eLuxury (which just says "LV" and appeared on older bags and wallets).

^^^^^^^

Yes, I had a similar experience, except I bought a brand new Sunset Boulevard when it first came out from Eluxury, so there was NO WAY it could have been a returned fake, and the bag was in every inch a quality LV item. I ordered another one, then compared the 2 and I was not losing my mind........THE DATE CODE WAS MISSING.

Not that it made a difference in the bag itself, but I like to know that each one of my LVs has one, in the event I re-sell it.

I returned the Sunset and kept the one WITH the date code.
So, YES, it can happen.......however.....
in your case where the hardware is noticeably different, I would really have the checked out by the experts at LV. :confused1:

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input. Just an update. I looked at Louis Vuitton's Web site and the damier zippy organizer looks exactly like what I have. (The eLuxury Web site seems to be out-of-date, as one of you suggested since that photo pictured an older zipper pull.) I took the wallet back to the store and asked to see another one of the same wallet just to compare. The other damier zippy organizer was identical to mine — AND also had NO date code. I was going to ask to see another, but was afraid they'd think I was nuts.

Perhaps this particular shipment to this store is just date code-less? Perhaps LV is not putting a date code on 2007 damier zippy organizers? Anyone who has one, let me know!

So anyway, I guess I am satisfied. Honestly, the only reason I am concerned about date codes (since you asked) is because of all the fakes everyone has ... I am so sick of seeing fakes and I'd hate to be unknowingly carrying one as I imagine many people who buy online/eBay are. That's all. It's not like I'm crying over it or anything. The wallet's gorgeous, useful and high-quality in every way.

Reactions: Hudinka5
I would just ask the SA where the date code is located. You can call the store for that and don't need to go in person unless you really can't find it. Saves you a lot of trouble and anxiety.

^^^ SA's don't usually/aren't supposed to reveal where date codes are located/what they mean.

Ilovemrjones: I really do think you probably just missed the date code and it's probably reallly close to the seam. Nonetheless, enjoy your wallet. You bought it for use, not just for the date code, right?

Yes, I bought it for use and not the date code ... I just wanted to be sure it was real, not a fake. I hate fake bags or fake anything. I got paranoid because I got ripped off with a fake once on eBay. Now I'm spooked. I have been happily using the wallet for nearly two months now. It's not falling apart, so I guess that it is a good sign to its authenticity! (P.S. My friend got a zippy organizer identical to mine, but from vuitton.com) and it DOES have a date code in the checkbook pocket. Mine doesn't have one there ... or anywhere! I guess it's just unique! :smile:

Yes, I bought it for use and not the date code ... I just wanted to be sure it was real, not a fake. I hate fake bags or fake anything. I got paranoid because I got ripped off with a fake once on eBay. Now I'm spooked. I have been happily using the wallet for nearly two months now. It's not falling apart, so I guess that it is a good sign to its authenticity! (P.S. My friend got a zippy organizer identical to mine, but from vuitton.com) and it DOES have a date code in the checkbook pocket. Mine doesn't have one there ... or anywhere! I guess it's just unique! :smile:

I bought my Utah coin purse from the store last month and cant find the datecode anywhere. I spend literally an hour. no luck!

I just bought a Sunset Blvd from the LV boutique and it doesn't have a date code either...that kind of bugs me.

Here's where the date code for the Sunset Boulevard is:

vernissunsetboulevarddahp7.jpg

vernissunsetboulevarddalz3.jpg

Ok, I like most of you was under the impression that everything made by Louis Vuitton must have a date stamp on it. However, I recently found out that it is possible, at least for the wallets, not to have one. I went to the Louis Vuitton store at the Forum Shops in Las Vegas and was looking at the Damier Graphite Canvas Multiple Wallet. I noticed that there was no date stamp where it normally would be on the wallets, so I searched every square inch of that wallet to no avail. The salesperson that was helping me was looking at me like I was crazy since I was looking for the datestamp so much as if there would be a fake in a Louis Vuitton store. She looked for it too, and plainly said that it didn't have a date stamp and that sometimes, some of their products actually don't have one. I was quite shocked to hear this but, I was in a Louis Vuitton store so this was indeed genuine and I had searched everywhere on that wallet without finding a date stamp. So anyway, I guess that sometimes it is possible not to have a date stamp and still have a genuine Louis Vuitton product. And if you're not convinced, then take it to your local Louis Vuitton store and have them check it out. Hope that helped :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.