Do All Asian Women Prefer Expensive Bags? If so, Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez . . . yet another vinyl question in return for a question! Yes . . . I wear a vinyl bag. It's an inexpensive Guess bag that I happen to like (two, to be exact).

The first reason is that I chose to give up my obsession. Lots of reasons I won't go into here.

The second reason is that I have a dog I take everywhere with me. And while in the car with me, he walks on everything.

Yes, yes, yes . . . I do know how I can downsize, but that wasn't an issue. I'm still in possession of several leather bags: Chloe', Marc Jacobs, Coach, Betsy Johnson, & probably some I don't even remember.

Sorry! I didn't realize the dog thing...
Guess bags are nice though, i thought you meant like - literally a vinyl bag. lol!

Attachments

• 2394905683_f5a4c52cf7.jpg
    2394905683_f5a4c52cf7.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 786
Aha . . . now here's an honest answer! You are the epitome of what I've described. And I don't mean that in a derogatory manner by any means. I'm still very curious about this.

Coach makes very durable bags. What would your reason be for not wanting that versus a Balenciaga?

Hermes, despite its quality, can be cumbersome to carry due to it's huge boxy size & the fact that they're made as hand held bags. Is it the $90,000 price tag that makes this appealing?

A couple of years ago, the Chloe' Paddington became the new IT bag & was selling out faster than they could be stocked. Though the leather was supple & buttery soft, I quit carrying mine because the hge brass lock weighed a frickin ton! For that matter, the bag was too heavy even without the lock. Also, the compartments & closure were inconvenient.

Once again . . . why high-end bags only?

Well, to be honest with you, but hopefully not to offend Coachies out there (and there are many!) I personally completely despise Coach leather quality. I just think they just feel very cheap; I think something must have happened when Coach moved production to China. Maybe the Chinese factories just haven't been at it for long enough to get used to what they're doing? If the leather quality is what I hear many Coachies say of what used to be the case (vintage Coach), I think I would certainly buy them.

I don't really understand what you mean about expensive bags only...are Coach bags not considered designer as well? I was almost on the verge of buying two Burberry bags in the past if not that they just weren't practical for me. One of them retail at around the same prices that Coach charges many of their bags these days. Tons of women are into Balenciaga, on the other hand, and not just Asians; I don't buy them because their quality is still not as good IMO as what they charge, and their style does not work for me. I can see why other women like the H style, but again, IMHO too much money charged for deficient return.

On another note, I am with the other members in that there is a bit too much stereotyping here. Do Asians, by the logic of this thread, act like a mass/pack of sheep? I certainly don't think I do as one. Not all of the Asian stereotype is negative, like how Asians are really smart and work really hard, but I always wondered, how did the Indians ever escape this kind of stereotype? You should see the competition they have out there in their country! Not to mention most of them are very big on education. In short, I don't think people can lump others together by nationality; to me, it doesn't work.

Last edited:
^ITA. To give a better perspective on things, my mother never spends more than $30 on one bag. In fact, I don't think it has ever reached $30; it's always been a bit more than $20, after tax and everything.

Definitely not all.

From *MY* genuine observation lol, the older generation (like my mom) prefers more "meaningful" things in life (or that's how she puts it, not my opinion, just again observation from my mom and her people). My mom's the kind of person who values intelligence, knowledge, and talent over material items. She admits that if she were born in my time, ie a time of relatively no war, peace, love, financial stability....etc, then she would also look into buying bags, jewelry, shoes, clothing...etc. My mom came from a pretty high social status, but growing up in China (ahem... *cough* communism and all that chinese cultural revolution stuff) has kinda changed her and molded her into thinking "poor is good". There's a lot of history involved. Basically my mom said that the wealthy people back then were considered "bad" and therefore were beaten and so ya... my family didn't do so great at this time. Thus, anyone coming from this period would not be interested in material items, or at least I think logically.

As for the younger generation, they're much influenced by the past two decades of China's economic rise and global status. I can't speak for other Asian countries, but China has been soaring economically (duh... lol) and a LOT of people have become very wealthy. So... money changes people's perspectives about life. The youngsters no longer worry about food, shelter, clothing, and other struggles to survive. Many parents also spoil their kids directly or indirectly especially if their child does well in school (education is a huge motivation factor imo....). So as kids grow up, they become competitive, thinking something like "if I do well in school, parents will reward me with money which I can then use to buy that bag/shoe!" Then later in life when they're no longer dependent on their parents, the kids still retain that competitiveness but instead make a "transfer" of competing in school for marks to competing for the best bags/shoes....etc.

I personally don't see a problem with any of this and I don't always agree with people saying Asian people are superficial and materialistic. I don't doubt that a lot are, however at the same time a lot of asian woman own these luxury products because they DESERVE them and have WORKED hard to achieve them. Thus when I see *some* Asian women, I'll think of them being very CAPABLE people rather than judging them in a negative manner.

There are also a lot of downward spirals for *some* other Asian women. Luxury items can be a motivation for one to work hard, but they shouldn't consume your mind, morals, and other personal values.... I know a few people very close to me who are so obsessed with material items that they'll end up along the paths of prostitution (or that's what *I* think they're doing...). Bleh... maybe they're proud of what they do and that's their choice in life...

Hmm... ya, sorry for the political stuff in the beginning... but it's true for my family :shrugs:

EDIT: Oh ya, I'm kinda over my LV obsession now! WOOHOO!!! lol The feeling is amazing! I went from being able to spend like 5000$ on one bag to now being content in carrying my 100$ no name bag lol. We all go through phases I guess and I started feeling the need to not wear LV bags for work/school... so that's how the obsession ended, but then along came the shoes..... lol

Last edited:
I'm asian and I use both expensive and inexpensive bags, depends on occasion. I grew up surrounding by well to do or upper middle class people and my friends always used the expensive things. I guess sometimes we just adopt habits from your surrounding. It's like when you have more money, you buy better car, bigger house, or eat better food. So I think it's the same as more fancy handbags.

Sorry, but I don't buy that rationale. My Japanese mother came from an upper-class family of wealth. This would negate your theory of habits from surroundings. She couldn't give a damn about designer labels.

In fact, I'm finding myself getting more & more like her & feel privileged to have a role model like her pass on her wisdom.

Still, the answer to my question remains.

I definitely do not find it to be all from my experience either...I don't think "all" is ever an accurate term in these discussions as there are always exceptions. It is true that a significant portion of luxury spending is in Asian markets as based on many articles posted on this site. There is a reason many luxury brands are placing multiple store in some of these countries. Asian is also a pretty broad group that can range from Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Cambodian, Filipino etc. and therefore I think they all have very different tastes and values about luxury goods. I think that is where unenlightened marketers often go wrong in lumping everyone together like they are the same...you really have to market to each sub-group differently. If anything I think the focus is not on an item being merely expensive, but a love of high quality items, a desire to look stylish and your best and a desire for the best things in life...whether it is the best education, a house in the best neighborhoods, the most prestigious career choices or the best bag...and for many the first three will be deemed a greater priority over the latter from my experience.

Definitely not all.

From *MY* genuine observation lol, the older generation (like my mom) prefer more "meaningful" things in life (or that's how she puts it, not my opinion, just again observation from my mom and her people). My mom's the kind of person who values intelligence, knowledge, and talent over material items. She admits that if she were born in my time, ie a time of relatively no war, peace, love, financial stability....etc, then she would also look into buying bags, jewelry, shoes, clothing...etc. My mom came from a pretty high social status, but growing up in China (ahem... *cough* communism and all that chinese cultural revolution stuff) has kinda changed her and molded her into thinking "poor is good". There's a lot of history involved. Basically my mom said that the wealthy people back then were considered "bad" and therefore were beaten and so ya... my family didn't do so great at this time. Thus, anyone coming from this period would not be interested in material items, or at least I think logically.

Are you sure we weren't born into the same family? I think my mother is identical to yours.

Sorry OP, but I'm getting the point of your thread less and less. Does Warren Buffet drive an expensive car? A lot of factors goes into people buying what they buy do; it may range from environment to the individual. Did your mother grow up seeing everyone around her carry expensive things, and just chose not to? Or did her circles have similar mentalities? I really don't get this stereotyping; the "Asians" that you're lumping all together include Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, and Indians count too, in fact. Just because I happen to come from an Asian country, carry some quality things that people deem to be expensive, how am I to account for what goes on in the other Asian societies? I am not really sure who can answer your question.

I think you've made a broad generalization - I think your question can be answered with one word - culture. Each ethnic group has its own culture - if you looked at each you would find that there is some sort of status to go with a material posession. And there will always be exceptions too. Americans in general identify themselves by the car they drive - lots of exceptions to that culture as well, but its a generalization that other countries make about Americans. Same thing.

I am not asian, but I am over 50 and I still love high end bags, shoes, clothes and cars! Just because we get older does not mean we have to give up the good stuff, LOL!

I don't really think ethnicity has anything to do with it. I know plenty of Asian women (like my relatives) who don't care about expensive handbags, and many others who indeed like designer bags (me, my mom). Though generally, I kind of get what you're saying because most of those who can afford it/think its worth it, do buy expensive purses...but this can also be said about any other race, not just Asians. :s

I could rest my case just by pointing out what's on your wishlist. :graucho:

You are right; this want of high-end designer bags goes beyond the asian community. But as I mentioned in my original post, nearly EVERY asian woman I know or encountered carried high-end bags. And this observation isn't just based on a few. What I've addressed is mutually exclusive. And having lived past the half century mark, I've been around the block a few times to notice the same thing more than once.

I think you've made a broad generalization - I think your question can be answered with one word - culture. Each ethnic group has its own culture - if you looked at each you would find that there is some sort of status to go with a material posession. And there will always be exceptions too. Americans in general identify themselves by the car they drive - lots of exceptions to that culture as well, but its a generalization that other countries make about Americans. Same thing.

Your single word (culture) is in itself is too broad a generalization. Obviously, culture does play a role in this, considering I've targeted only one.

But why the focus in this particular area is still what has me stymied.

^Maybe it's your community? I can tell you that all my close Asian friends in college don't care a thing about designer handbags. If your mother shares this mindset and you appreciate it from her, then isn't it all good? I'm sure you have seen many Asians out there who do in fact fall into your stereotype, but I will also assure you that the ones you encountered account account for but a tiny fraction of the whole of Asian population on the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.