DNA Test

razorkiss58

♥ Nerd ♥
Nov 15, 2007
I just wanted to see if anyone here has maybe done a doggie DNA test? We have a 2yr old mix we got from the pound and her papers say shes a Lab/shepherd. Everyone keeps saying many other breeds when they look at her. If anyone has done this please let me know thanks!

I never had any of my dogs tested but I heard the tests don't really work. A woman had her dog tested (she knew for sure what breeds were involved) to find out if those tests work and the test was totally wrong. Wasn't even close. ;)

I think they are hit and miss. I've seen reviews where people have had purebreds dog tested and the dna comes back corect, and others where they are totally offbase. That said I did just throw some money away last on one for each of my dogs. The test kits should be in by the end of this week and I am hoping the results will be back by the time we get back from vacation after the first of the year.

I think they are hit and miss. I've seen reviews where people have had purebreds dog tested and the dna comes back corect, and others where they are totally offbase. That said I did just throw some money away last on one for each of my dogs. The test kits should be in by the end of this week and I am hoping the results will be back by the time we get back from vacation after the first of the year.
where did you order yours from? Good Luck!

I've just spent the last hour reading reviews on Amazon and it is becoming clear how people can misunderstand the results and think that the test results are completely wrong. As far as Wisdom Panel goes, they only go back through three generations I think, then give the results of each of those generations, which is not to be seen as a summary of what your dog is. If it's great grandparent was 50% lab, that doesn't mean your dog is going to be 50% lab and I think that's where most people's confusion lies. When I get my results back I am going to make sure I read their genetics page and understand it very well before deciphering the results. It does sound like Wisdom Panel has some pretty good customer service though!