DIY Spa treatment

LaDolceLaria

May 10, 2018
Just curious how many of you clean your bags regularly? This my pre-loved Saleya, which I bought several years ago. It was yellowing and the checks faded in spots, the zipper was sticky and the leather scuffed.

I cleaned it up as best I could and try to keep it that way by doing a little spa treatment about twice a year, especially after spring and summer rotation.

First I pull the lining out to spot clean with soap or Folex, then I use a whitening shampoo from the pet store and apply to the canvas with a soft brush and wipe down with cotton rags. I then add a rich, leather conditioner to the vachetta, Brasso on the hardware and use wax paper on the zipper teeth for very smooth gliding action.

Would love to know what others do and see photos!

IMG_20220813_190407.jpg

Reactions: rkuro
Just curious how many of you clean your bags regularly? This my pre-loved Saleya, which I bought several years ago. It was yellowing and the checks faded in spots, the zipper was sticky and the leather scuffed.

I cleaned it up as best I could and try to keep it that way by doing a little spa treatment about twice a year, especially after spring and summer rotation.

First I pull the lining out to spot clean with soap or Folex, then I use a whitening shampoo from the pet store and apply to the canvas with a soft brush and wipe down with cotton rags. I then add a rich, leather conditioner to the vachetta, Brasso on the hardware and use wax paper on the zipper teeth for very smooth gliding action.

Would love to know what others do and see photos!

View attachment 5589549
It looks so nice and clean!! I just saw a video on how to clean, she used distilled water and Lexol for the handles. I like your process with whitening shampoo..is there a specific brand? I do have yellowing on the sides.

Reactions: LaDolceLaria
It looks so nice and clean!! I just saw a video on how to clean, she used distilled water and Lexol for the handles. I like your process with whitening shampoo..is there a specific brand? I do have yellowing on the sides.
Thank you! I don't think the whitening shampoo brand matters...whatever your pet store has. Mine is called Tropiclean. Smells great

Finished the first one. The handles and wallet were dirty maybe from hand lotion and sunscreen. Used leather cleaner and Biosilk pet white shampoo on the canvas stains (thank you for that idea). Looking good for a 17 year old purse.. I have a more challenging pink purse to DIY spa next!

74596D6E-76F7-49B4-AF9C-72275C737F39.jpeg

Finished the first one. The handles and wallet were dirty maybe from hand lotion and sunscreen. Used leather cleaner and Biosilk pet white shampoo on the canvas stains (thank you for that idea). Looking good for a 17 year old purse.. I have a more challenging pink purse to DIY spa next!

View attachment 5590474
Wow it looks brand new! Do you have a before picture? Did you clean the vachetta parts just with the Lexol?

Wow it looks brand new! Do you have a before picture? Did you clean the vachetta parts just with the Lexol?
I don’t have a before picture, but it was kinda ugly dirty shade! I used the Lexol with a toothbrush and wiped it down with a damp cloth. Then I let it dry. I only used the Lexol on the handles, and just wiped down the purse with a damp cloth.

Reactions: maryg1
This DIY spa took awhile. The tote is 19 years old. I used Lexol and apple leather care. The inside was stained. I used a suede brush and alcohol.

Attachments

• 9B5D7679-75C9-4617-B6CF-372F22F0CF25.jpeg
    9B5D7679-75C9-4617-B6CF-372F22F0CF25.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11