DIY sealed cracks on my orange St Louis

vesna

O.G.
Jan 18, 2008
I was following Docride’s adventures in repairing Hermes bags and SLGs herself on Hermes forum. I learned a lot about various great coloured creams, sealants, re-dying dyes. I did several experimental jobs on bargain Hermes coin purses, I glazed dry Balenciaga piping, glued Balenciaga split tassels....so now I used that stuff I already had to make cracks on my St Louis look better and not bother me at all.

It is unbelievable that such a company makes such a poor job, but I admit - the cheerfulness this colour and texture provide for me makes me keep this one Goyard tote ( I have a cosmetic pouch which shows no damage or wear and Senat MM in red, also intact). I will NOT buy more.

This is a beach bag after all, but still whatever you carry in it, sealant is poor and it cracks.

1. I used leather/suede glue and placed inside each crack with toothpick ( it also sticks split Bal tassels and they are very flexible after gluing, like new)
2. Tarrago permanent dye in orange ( perfect Hermes orange when mixed with the darker one, but for Goyard orange this is it, alone is identical as their sealant colour. No preparation like for dying a bag, just dubbed with q-tip.
3. Zelikovitz professional top coat is a perfect glaze ( not shiny, just natural defence coating, not sticky either) for anything that will rub over time ( I use it to cover all piping on my other bags like Mulberry and Bals)

I do not have before photos, sorry, but this what I have done is very OK for me, without paying $220 more for the replacement in France and waiting 7 months to get it back with new handles which will crack after 2 months . I do not mind cracking a bit which is left, that is the normal looking wear and makes my bag mine.

So again, I put up with it because of the colour and happiness it gives me every time I wear it, but Goyard is very fragile and not a workhorse bag, prone to falling apart with delicate corners and unavoidable cracks even if just stored, and potential holes in the fabric........I would be VERY careful with it and carry just light fluffy stuff it is made for ( beach ???).

I am just wondering how will it withstand humid and very hot on the beach. many girls had their finish on handles melt and rub colour all over ??? NOT for beach than. OK what is it for ? Like my beagle ? To make me happy, to annoy me and to squeeze a lot of money for it’s maintenance ?

Attachments

• 29D659FF-97AB-4512-9CF2-22A9671E47A2.jpeg
    29D659FF-97AB-4512-9CF2-22A9671E47A2.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 322
  • DAAFCAD6-8C3A-4F68-AF98-D6F49CE15D2D.jpeg
    DAAFCAD6-8C3A-4F68-AF98-D6F49CE15D2D.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 318
  • DC84809C-ABE4-4EDE-BBAD-F9D350160C8D.jpeg
    DC84809C-ABE4-4EDE-BBAD-F9D350160C8D.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 3F9CCBCF-EDAA-4671-8BDD-4D7A0AD25AE8.jpeg
    3F9CCBCF-EDAA-4671-8BDD-4D7A0AD25AE8.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 45B6D8D9-6DD4-4FEA-87BA-533A0A572D85.jpeg
    45B6D8D9-6DD4-4FEA-87BA-533A0A572D85.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 306
Great job V, and your beagle is adorable :heart:
Thanks ❤️ Yes she is but in the same way as this Goyard tote.....stubborn, fragile, cute, demanding and expensive to maintain ( she will eat anything from the street or a park and night emergency visits drain my budget, and every one ends the same - watch her carefully overnight and tomorrow, and of course she is fine, either poops it out or vomits, so every $400 later she is fine ....but you can’t leave a miserable cutie overnight moaning without inspecting her

Reactions: MochaJen
This looks great! How has this held up so far? I think I might try this on one of my bags also. Have you found that the color transfers or anything?
Great so far, it was in extreme cold and now when it is warmer, no transfer whatsoever because every substance I used is a coating which does not transfer

Reactions: Chial819
I was following Docride’s adventures in repairing Hermes bags and SLGs herself on Hermes forum. I learned a lot about various great coloured creams, sealants, re-dying dyes. I did several experimental jobs on bargain Hermes coin purses, I glazed dry Balenciaga piping, glued Balenciaga split tassels....so now I used that stuff I already had to make cracks on my St Louis look better and not bother me at all.

It is unbelievable that such a company makes such a poor job, but I admit - the cheerfulness this colour and texture provide for me makes me keep this one Goyard tote ( I have a cosmetic pouch which shows no damage or wear and Senat MM in red, also intact). I will NOT buy more.

This is a beach bag after all, but still whatever you carry in it, sealant is poor and it cracks.

1. I used leather/suede glue and placed inside each crack with toothpick ( it also sticks split Bal tassels and they are very flexible after gluing, like new)
2. Tarrago permanent dye in orange ( perfect Hermes orange when mixed with the darker one, but for Goyard orange this is it, alone is identical as their sealant colour. No preparation like for dying a bag, just dubbed with q-tip.
3. Zelikovitz professional top coat is a perfect glaze ( not shiny, just natural defence coating, not sticky either) for anything that will rub over time ( I use it to cover all piping on my other bags like Mulberry and Bals)

I do not have before photos, sorry, but this what I have done is very OK for me, without paying $220 more for the replacement in France and waiting 7 months to get it back with new handles which will crack after 2 months . I do not mind cracking a bit which is left, that is the normal looking wear and makes my bag mine.

So again, I put up with it because of the colour and happiness it gives me every time I wear it, but Goyard is very fragile and not a workhorse bag, prone to falling apart with delicate corners and unavoidable cracks even if just stored, and potential holes in the fabric........I would be VERY careful with it and carry just light fluffy stuff it is made for ( beach ???).

I am just wondering how will it withstand humid and very hot on the beach. many girls had their finish on handles melt and rub colour all over ??? NOT for beach than. OK what is it for ? Like my beagle ? To make me happy, to annoy me and to squeeze a lot of money for it’s maintenance ?
I purchased the Artois in orange in France 2017 and a year later, the handles were melting together when I sat my bag upright. I finally was able to get it into the NYC store and it took about 3-4 months to get my bag repaired at no cost. I thought they had wonderful customer service. I will say they seemed aware of the issue and mentioned that the bag should be dealt with like a pet due to it's materials - no overheating or extreme cold. I mentioned I did live in NYC and don't run my ac all the time, but was my apt by no meals so sweltering that the handles should have melted together. Overall, good customer service. And I will always go for a tote with a zipper because of the subway and travel.

Great so far, it was in extreme cold and now when it is warmer, no transfer whatsoever because every substance I used is a coating which does not transfer
Hi! Thanks so much for the info on the products you used and the process! Is it still holding up? I just purchased a preloved PM in orange from Fashionphile - they are usually great when describing wear and tear but not in this case. There’s a lot of cracking at the base of the handles and the edges are rubbed off a good deal. Wondering if you think it’s worth a go for me to try… I know I could get a new one through Neiman’s but I paid $1200 for this one so maybe it’s worth trying to repair? Appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 50
Hi! Thanks so much for the info on the products you used and the process! Is it still holding up? I just purchased a preloved PM in orange from Fashionphile - they are usually great when describing wear and tear but not in this case. There’s a lot of cracking at the base of the handles and the edges are rubbed off a good deal. Wondering if you think it’s worth a go for me to try… I know I could get a new one through Neiman’s but I paid $1200 for this one so maybe it’s worth trying to repair? Appreciate any advice!

I recently dropped off my white St. Louis to get repaired. If you want to replace the handles, it’ll be $285+tax.

Reactions: viciel