Home & Garden DIY Project: Remodeling the stairs. Any advice?

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Hi everybody! Any DIYers out there?

I have decided to remodel my stairs myself. There is so much work to do on this house that I have to take it in steps and do a lot of it myself.

Step 1 is replacing the carpet on the stairs with unfinished red oak stair treads and risers. They will be stained cherry and finished with Traffic poly.

Step 2 is trimming out the stringers with wood painted white.

Step 3 is paneling the adjacent walls which means I have to make long straight cuts. All paneling will be painted white like wainscot.

Step 4 is redesigning and replacing the stair rails.

Lots of other projects will follow and I will need to buy some more tools. I'm guessing I'll need a jigsaw to cut the bullnose off the existing stair treads and a table saw for cutting wood longer than 3-4". I may have to make 8' cuts for the paneling. :panic:

Any advice? I am a little fearful of the table saw. Should I get a $200 one or a $500 one? I will probably use it a lot. I HAVE to make straight cuts.

Here is an inspiration pic of the overall feel I am going for (minus the carpet on the stairs):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s8gZ5xeng...xzULg/s1600/sarahs-house-hallway-image1_0.jpg

I would buy the more expensive saw. You will probably use it for many other projects. Love the picture. I wanted to paint my stair rails white and leave the oak color on top but after seeing ths picture I think I will go for the all white look now.
Good luck with your project, it seems like so much work.

I would buy the more expensive saw. You will probably use it for many other projects. Love the picture. I wanted to paint my stair rails white and leave the oak color on top but after seeing ths picture I think I will go for the all white look now.
Good luck with your project, it seems like so much work.

Thank you! I'm ready for it, I think. I wish I had taken shop in HS, though. Maybe they can give me a table saw lesson at Home Depot. An associate offered to cut my wood for me for the paneling project, but I'll need so many pieces and recuts that I don't want to be a pain.

The pic is from Season 1 of Sarah's House on HGTV. Loved that house with the view of the train!

I saw this done last week on "home equity" I'm sure it was an older episode, it really didn't look too hard. I'm am excited to see how you fare. I might give it a go after your reports! Good luck- measure twice, and always be mindful when using power tools!

I saw this done last week on "home equity" I'm sure it was an older episode, it really didn't look too hard. I'm am excited to see how you fare. I might give it a go after your reports! Good luck- measure twice, and always be mindful when using power tools!

Thanks! I found a video on youtube. It didn't look as bad as I thought. One of the advantages of doing it myself is that I can pre-finish the wood. Yay! I'll be able to access my downstairs!

It will be a while before I start, though. Just getting the multi-year budget together now.