Home & Garden DIY Headboards

jeh3v

RM Love
O.G.
Jun 5, 2008
Has anyone here made their own headboard? If so, I would love to see pictures! Here is my new one I made today.

{ignore the wrestling kittens}

Attachments

• image-149080041.jpg
    image-149080041.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 854
  • image-3552408711.jpg
    image-3552408711.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 472
Wow SO beautiful! Would you mind sharing how you did this? I love the look of these types of headboards and would love to DIY to mine because they are typically expensive. You did such a great job!

Langloi, thank you! It is pretty straightforward so ill try my best to explain.

1. For the headboard itself, plywood seems to work well and is inexpensive. You can either cut it into a pattern like I did by tracing a line on craft paper and using it as your template on both sides, or just doing a standard rectangle. I have done both and they both look great.

2. Lay it face down on batting (can be found at fabric stores) and use a staple gun to pull tight and staple all the way around. It doesn't have to be pretty because you won't see it. If you aren't going to do nailheads, you can put a layer of foam under the batting before you staple it on. That will make it more plush. This doesn't work with nailheads though because the foam prevents the nailheads from going all the way through .

3. Repeat with fabric. Leave about two inches extra on all sides to make sure it will fit. Just pull tightly before you staple so it's smooth. You can trim off excess after you're done.

That's it! Hope this helps!

Pearlv said:
Do u have a pic of the rectangle headboard? How much was the cost of everything?
I love this

I don't have a pic of the rectangle one because its from a few years ago. I did padding on it and made it slightly smaller so the headboard had a beveled edge.

It wasn't too expensive at all. The wood is under $12, the batting is around $5-6, and you need roughly 2.5-3 yards of fabric for a queen size bed. I scored this fabric for $3.50 a yard at Old Time Pottery here, though I think it's around $20 a yard on fabric.com. So under $20 plus whatever your fabric choice is. I already had a staple gun and staples from other projects but I don't think they are too expensive.

LV Luvr said:
What size plywood? And did you use a router?

I don't remember the exact measurements of the wood I started with, I'm sorry. A queen size bed is 60" wide, so my finished product is 64" just to allow it to be slightly larger on each side. You can make it however tall you want it.

And no, my step dad cut out the pattern with a jigsaw. A router would work, probably better, but I didn't have access to one.