Disturbing email from Balenciaga

manke

basket case
Feb 16, 2009
I've never ordered anything from Erica/****** before, but I was interested in an old color and I don't buy pre-loved bags, so that sparked my interest in ******.

However, I was concerned as to the source of her bags because she seems to regularly but suddenly come into a great quantity of discontinued Bbags and accessories--and not just like ten items but a TON at a time if you see her most recent emails. Personally I only like to buy stuff that I know for sure is not fake or stolen and I happen to think it's my responsibility as the consumer to ask those kinds of questions, so I just wanted to clarify with Balenciaga that she is an authorized distributor who receives old stock from them (as well as new stock).

Balenciaga wrote back that ****** is "NOT authorized, not official" and that "there is a high risk that their products are fake." They really don't look like fakes to me, but I am not an expert, and stolen authentic goods are also a concern. Does anyone know what is going on? If ****** is procuring the bags in a non-shady way from Balenciaga and the bags are not stolen or otherwise sketchily obtained, why wouldn't Balenciaga say so? (By the way, it is not Balenciaga saying that they themselves are the ONLY source because they did not do that in the email.)

I understand if Erica were just a lady who buys for herself and then sells some extras, but the volume of merchandise that she is snagging at once and on a regular basis (she even is able to take preorders and fulfill them) suggests to me that she must have a source within Balenciaga in order to be legitimate. If not with Balenciaga, then it kind of seems like the merchandise could be stolen or just extremely high quality fakes made in a factory overseas.

Can anyone address my concern? I'd really like to buy something discontinued from ******, but only if I know the business is totally fine with my conscience.

Last edited:
all I can tell you is that I have bought 3 bags from Erica and they are not fakes. I'm sure that others can probably tell you more than I know. But I have no qualms purchasing from her.

First off I would guess that the letter you got was pretty much a template for what they send out to anyone asking a question about any place that sells balenciaga. Second, I am not surprised that they didn't back her as an "authorized seller". Balenciaga has a reputation to uphold and just like most designer brands they will never admit to anything, kwim?

As for fake goods, that is simply not the case. As for stolen, I don't believe this to be true either but everyone is entitled to think what they want. Personally, if I were to guess, I'd say that E has a friend in a high place at Bal and perhaps most Bal employees don't even know where she gets her stock. Balenciaga is a pretty big name and E doesn't hide herself, so I would think if she really were "stealing" this stock, Bal would be all over her like white on rice.. don't you think? She has a registered business, they'd be able to find her. I think that the bags she gets are legit and Bal looks the other way.. they just won't admit to it.

All I can say is Erica is one of the loveliest people I've ever dealt with and I've always been happy with the products I've purchased... :shrugs:

Last edited:
They are not fake or stolen. I mean think about it, one cannot steal large quantities of b-bags on a regular/seasonal basis. She buys the bags from Italy. B-bags are cheaper in Europe, she probably gets a discount given that she buys large quantities (and that she is not a EU resident), and I bet her profit margin isn't all that much.

Try asking Balenciaga about the bags on Bluefly. I am willing to bet that you'll get the same exact email.

i've gotten bags from erica and i know they are real for sure. this is just my guess but she probably orders direct from european bal stores just like other resellers. erica is a very nice and honest lady to deal with. have you actually communicated with her?

if you are not comfortable buying from ****** then you don't have to. just go directly to balenciaga boutiques :P

Ya, buy directly from boutiques and have them send you a damaged bag like mine! ooooh.. boy!
That's a good idea, try sending them another email about the bal bags on bluefly,I'd love to see that answer.

btw, why don't you post the entire email here for us to read? should be interesting! thanks!!

Ya, buy directly from boutiques and have them send you a damaged bag like mine! ooooh.. boy!
That's a good idea, try sending them another email about the bal bags on bluefly,I'd love to see that answer.

btw, why don't you post the entire email here for us to read? should be interesting! thanks!!

I actually buy 95% of my bags from the boutiques because I like the convenience that comes with buying from a boutique (I like Erica and I have bought from her but since she is not an actual retailer she doesn't offer repairs/returns without having to pay for stocking fees). The boutiques will replace/exchange your bag if it is damaged upon arrival (they did it for me), you can return (for store credit), and if anything ever happens to your bag, they do an excellent job with repairs (no crazy charges or funky smells).

That's good to know. I will buy directly from the stores next time when I'm actually IN the store. :smile:

I actually buy 95% of my bags from the boutiques because I like the convenience that comes with buying from a boutique (I like Erica and I have bought from her but since she is not an actual retailer she doesn't offer repairs/returns without having to pay for stocking fees). The boutiques will replace/exchange your bag if it is damaged upon arrival (they did it for me), you can return (for store credit), and if anything ever happens to your bag, they do an excellent job with repairs (no crazy charges or funky smells).

LOL!

I agree with littlerock that Balenciaga is going to uphold and protect their brand. It would be a HUGE risk for someone with a registered/licensed business to sell unauthentic goods. Not only is it unethical from a morals standpoint, it is also against the law.

However, I can say that early on in my readings of this forum, I too, had the same questions you did. I think it's perfectly normal to want to do your homework before making an expensive purchase and I'm sure Erica, or any business owner, would agree. I just made my first purchase from her and have no doubts in my mind about the authenticity, none whatsoever.

Last edited:
^^ Well said, roey!

I don't actually know where Erica gets her stock but I know there are some distributors who do get stock of Balenciaga (and other designer brands) from wholesalers - and these are perfectly legit, authentic bags.

Good of you to do your research and find out more. These are pricey bags and you should be sure you're getting the real thing.

I've bought tons of bags from E (lots of Bals and other brands too) and have been satisfied every time that each of these is 100% authentic.

I just recently got hooked on bbags. I've purchased a couple of items from Erica and plan to again in the future. The bags and accessories are beautiful and authentic. Erica is great to deal with. I'm happy to have found her as it allows me to buy some beautiful bags I might not find elsewhere.

Oh and I agree - the letter sounds like a standard canned letter.

Just wanted to add one more thing. I am very fussy about quality and authenticity. I have no concerns in the least in dealing with Erica.

I have no doubt that the bags I've bought from ****** have been authentic and agree that balenciaga's response sound like a canned reply. I would guess that balenciaga does not like anyone selling new bags below retail, but for whatever reason are not pursuing this.

in response to the canned reply- a bal sa once asked me where i got my papeete rh city and i said ******. the sa said, without having to look anything up, that they weren't an authorized seller and i should make sure it wasn't fake- in friendly conversation of course. i believe ****** are the real deal, but i am curious how she obtains the bags.

i'm curious too, where she gets the bags. i once asked bal.com a similar question and got a reply w/just a couple authorized places like barneys and somewhere....but then again i wonder where bluefly gets their stock too. bal.com didn't mention aloha rag as an authorized seller either to me.