District 9

Couldn't agree more and I didn't even have to be talked into going to see it..I had wanted to!!! I thought they REALLY screwed up in not getting the audience to like the aliens and to feel bad for them. Maybe that happened, but not before I fell asleep (literally!)

I thought the efects were good, the aliens and their movements were cool, but beyond that sorry but two thumbs down from this gal. Hubby thought is was OK at best!!!

I saw it last night with my husband and daughter. Hands down, the DUMBEST movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I hated every minute of this movie from the beginning to the end. LOL! Could not wait for it to be over with. The camera made me dizzy and the "news" aspect of it was silly. I can't BELIEVE I got talked into that one. LOL! I wanted to see Inglorious Bastards, dammit. LOL!

I can't believe how many people loved this movie!! I DESPISED IT!! Ten minutes in I was praying for it to be over! I thought it was boring, predictable, and had some serious plot gaps. I know they were setting it up for a sequel, but if you think about this movie too much, you realize how much they left out, stuff they should have answered in the first movie to have it make more sense. Maybe I'm a cold-hearted b*tch, but I didn't feel bad for the aliens at all. If I was president, I wouldn't pay to take care of millions of aliens, when some of my own kind live in such conditions. And actually thinking about it now, total plot fail right here -- the aliens were trapped on their own ship emaciated and dying, but then Kristopher just gets juice from his own technology which had to be on that ship to begin with!! then just flies up and goes on his merry way. Seriously? nobody could figure that out before? Sorry, I just can't buy that.

I can't believe how many people loved this movie!! I DESPISED IT!! Ten minutes in I was praying for it to be over! I thought it was boring, predictable, and had some serious plot gaps. I know they were setting it up for a sequel, but if you think about this movie too much, you realize how much they left out, stuff they should have answered in the first movie to have it make more sense. Maybe I'm a cold-hearted b*tch, but I didn't feel bad for the aliens at all. If I was president, I wouldn't pay to take care of millions of aliens, when some of my own kind live in such conditions. And actually thinking about it now, total plot fail right here -- the aliens were trapped on their own ship emaciated and dying, but then Kristopher just gets juice from his own technology which had to be on that ship to begin with!! then just flies up and goes on his merry way. Seriously? nobody could figure that out before? Sorry, I just can't buy that.

Didn't it take them 20+ years to collect enough juice or fuel or whatever to have enough energy for their ship to take off? So there wasn't any just on the ship ready to be used?

And actually thinking about it now, total plot fail right here -- the aliens were trapped on their own ship emaciated and dying, but then Kristopher just gets juice from his own technology which had to be on that ship to begin with!! then just flies up and goes on his merry way. Seriously? nobody could figure that out before? Sorry, I just can't buy that.

The fuel was something they had to gather over a course of 20 years, as only tiny parts of it were in their technology. The canister was part of their technology, but it wasn't filled with liquid. (Christopher Johnson was shown adding the fuel to it later on.) They were extracting it from the alien components they found at the internment camp. What they found over those years only contained trace amounts, but they eventually got enough to get things moving. The canister of liquid was more of an ignition key than a fuel component. It was what was needed to turn everything back on in the command module (which was what dropped from the ship early on in the film).They hid the command module so humans didn't try to take their whole ship while they were helpless and stranded.

^^ I get that he had to collect it over twenty years, because there are only trace amounts in parts of their technology. But everything they collected over their twenty years had come off that ship. The reason it took them so long to get it was because they had to route through the slums for it. When it was all on the ship why didn't they just start collecting it? It would have been a lot easier. Or am I missing something?

I don't know if this will help, but all I know is the aliens ran out of fuel and food on their return to their home planet. They searched for the closest habitable planet, which happened to be Earth. This lack of fuel explains why they could not power up their ship immediately. Over 20 years they had to scrounge up enough of this biotech fuel from nearly depleted fuel canisters and other technology to get enough to restart the command module and head back home.
I understand that you didn't like the film, but I happily ignored the plot holes like you mentioned (and let's face it, most films have them). It's sci-fi, so I'm able to suspend belief, so a film like this doesn't have to be credible in my world, it has to be credible in the world in which it's set.

Seriously? nobody could figure that out before? Sorry, I just can't buy that.

Nobody could figure it out because it was mentioned in the film that most of the aliens/prawns were worker drones. They were more or less slave labor, not engineering geniuses.

Absolutely loved it! Wasn't drawn to it at first but was glad I accompanied DBF to see it! Awesome apartheid connotations :lol:
The doco style didn't bother me at all.... watch blair witch, then talk abt dizzy! lol

I don't know if this will help, but all I know is the aliens ran out of fuel and food on their return to their home planet. They searched for the closest habitable planet, which happened to be Earth. This lack of fuel explains why they could not power up their ship immediately. Over 20 years they had to scrounge up enough of this biotech fuel from nearly depleted fuel canisters and other technology to get enough to restart the command module and head back home.
I understand that you didn't like the film, but I happily ignored the plot holes like you mentioned (and let's face it, most films have them). It's sci-fi, so I'm able to suspend belief, so a film like this doesn't have to be credible in my world, it has to be credible in the world in which it's set.

Nobody could figure it out because it was mentioned in the film that most of the aliens/prawns were worker drones. They were more or less slave labor, not engineering geniuses.

I guess I just dig too deeply into shallow plots, I mean it's about aliens living on Earth, I can't expect it to be at all "realistic". It makes me feel a little better that they were slave labor, but I still just can't buy it :shrugs:

I saw the movie this weekend and loved it. I was pretty hesitant to watch this movie as I knew the treatment of the aliens by humans would disturb me, but the movie actually really resonated with me as I kept discussing the movie with DH for hours afterwards. Although I don't want children, I absolutely fell in love with the alien child and even mourned the thought of not having a child of my own.