District 9

I didn't think the movie was cliche at all.. it's one of the more original aliens-on-earth plots to come along in awhile. I also think there's only a hidden agenda there if you want it to be - I left the theater talking about things that weren't even remotely political. The effects are good and the main characters are, for the most part, enjoyable.

The plot definitely could have been more solid, but I think they made the movie with so many unanswered things in it because they intend to do a sequel.

I really liked it a lot. People have been saying it's like the game Half life (which I haven't played). I totally enjoyed it. I don't pay attention to the political agenda talk, but it leaves you wanting to discuss things. It was a little bit sad at the end, but I'm a crybaby. It had amazing effects (those aliens looked TOTALLY real, I could not tell they were CGI), great action, and some comedy. I love that there was no ribbon to tie things us all nice at the end, unlike most movies. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a District 10. No regrets with watching, and DH and I choose very, very carefully which movies we go to see.

I liked it a lot as well. I thought the movie was pretty unique in how they seamlessly combined the documentary and traditional movie styles.

I'm about 99% sure the movie ended the way it did to allow the possibility of a sequel. And you bet it's going to be called District 10 lol.

frannita it's sort of like Half Life (I've played the game), but not really. There are several huge differences between the two but I guess I could kind of see how it was like Half Life with a fugitive and there being aliens. But the overall story between the two are completely different.

I didn't think the movie was cliche at all.. it's one of the more original aliens-on-earth plots to come along in awhile. I also think there's only a hidden agenda there if you want it to be - I left the theater talking about things that weren't even remotely political. The effects are good and the main characters are, for the most part, enjoyable.

The plot definitely could have been more solid, but I think they made the movie with so many unanswered things in it because they intend to do a sequel.

oh when i said "cliche" i did not mean political or anything like that. i didnt think it was political at all. i just thought plot was very predictable. i dont want to give the story away but u know the part where the guy found the container? and what happened after? i thought that was predictable...lol..i feel like i have seen that happen in so many other movies before (find some object, not knowing its repercussions, etc then things happen due to it.) lol.

and the ending i thought was predictable too.

and i agree w/ the other TPFer who said it was like the video game. My friend who watched it with me said the same thing.

oh when i said "cliche" i did not mean political or anything like that. i didnt think it was political at all. i just thought plot was very predictable. i dont want to give the story away but u know the part where the guy found the container? and what happened after? i thought that was predictable...lol..i feel like i have seen that happen in so many other movies before (find some object, not knowing its repercussions, etc then things happen due to it.) lol.

and the ending i thought was predictable too.

and i agree w/ the other TPFer who said it was like the video game. My friend who watched it with me said the same thing.

I definitely felt like some parts were predictable, and for anyone who saw the longer (better) preview in theaters you knew what was going to happen with the canister.

This is definitely one movie that left me feeling like they didn't really end it, though - there was no solid indication of what happened to everyone. And I do bet it's because they are banking on this being a huge film that will command a sequel (which I will very happily go to see).

I caught an article on CNN that mentioned the film as being low budget and then said it cost $175 million.. LOL! I always thought low budget meant less than $1 million!

^^ yes i agree about the ending! I wouldnt be surprised if there is a sequel..haha... i also thought it was cute how they left it, with that little "flower" ..hehe..bitter sweet!

and yes, the cost of making a movie is astonishing these days!! :upsidedown:

I saw District 9 last night and loved it! I enjoy action/alien movies but haven't seen one I liked since AvP. Am I the only one who felt the aliens were cute? Especially the little kid! :biggrin:

I really rooted for the protagonists like I haven't in a long time. I had to hold my s/o's hand during the end 'chase' scene because I was so stressed out for the aliens. I also really appreciated how fast-paced the movie was with few sappy moments until the very ending.

Yes I would have liked more details in the plot but compared to all the recent garbage being released, District 9 was great.