display items not sold? or sold last?

bagpunk

Oct 31, 2006
i just saw someone who bought a bag at H. she looked at the displayed one, tried that on, decided she wanted it, and the SA disappared and came back with a box that was shrink-wrapped, tore it, open the box, and voila! a new bag inside. and this was the one taken home.

i was also told by another SA that H only ordered so many of each bag, in style and colour etc, and once sold, that is it for the season or the year. we can order the one we want if it has been sold, but it'll take time to arrive, sometimes up to a year.

my question:

in the scene that i saw, were there more than one bag to be sold?

OR

one was a display bag which is never to be sold, and the other which came out of the box was the one to be sold?

OR

SAs always gives customers spanking new bags, and ones displayed are only sold when there are no more in stock?

i am just curious.

Last edited:
Most display bags are for sale, but some are press items that belong to Hermes Marketing and are 'borrowed' for window displays, or in Shanghai's case, displayed for customer to try for size.

In the scenario that you described, I think it was coincidental that the store happened to have a new piece of the same combination. And the SMs can order a couple of the same thing, if she thinks the combination will sell well.

SAs cannot always pull out a shrinkwrapped box for a customer. Most of the bags on display, ARE for sale.

What you described is exactly what happened in Jan at FSH when I bought my chartreuse Picotin. I tried on the one in the case on the floor, decided I wanted it and she said she would get me a "fresh" one from the back and take it directly to the cashier counter. I assume that is what she did as when I got home and opened the box, the Picotin was in an orange bag (it cannot have been sealed as the year stamp did not jibe with the orange dust bag), and the orange color had transferred to the bottom of the bag. Claude got it out while I waited when I was in NYC with it in June.

What you described is exactly what happened in Jan at FSH when I bought my chartreuse Picotin. I tried on the one in the case on the floor, decided I wanted it and she said she would get me a "fresh" one from the back and take it directly to the cashier counter. I assume that is what she did as when I got home and opened the box, the Picotin was in an orange bag (it cannot have been sealed as the year stamp did not jibe with the orange dust bag), and the orange color had transferred to the bottom of the bag. Claude got it out while I waited when I was in NYC with it in June.

so your SA said new but not so much? i suppose bag, dustbag and box could all be new, just mismatched?

i must say that i would feel rather good if my bag came out from a dustbag and out of an orange box, all of which are shrink-wrapped! it could have been shrink-wrapped anywhere but my first thought was wow it came like that all the way from paris (or somewhere in france) out of the craftman's hand (or whoever) directly to me!

DH grinned and rolled his eyes at my excitement as i witnessed all this saying teasingly that the shrink-wrap must really worth all that extra money.... :biggrin::nogood: I had to explain that that was not the point.... :amuse:

I have a feeling that Hermes may have had stock of the "old" version of the Picotin sent to FSH, and that this bag had had its dust bag mixed up with that of another in the past. Chartreuse is not a commonly found color and they had an entire cabinet displaying chartreuse bags in various styles. When Claude removed the color transfer on the bottom of the bag, he gave me the new, proper dust bag. All well now! But if I were ever again to buy a bag where the SA was going to get a "fresh" one from the back, I would ask to see it before it is taken to the cashier. It was near closing time that day, the store was mobbed, and we had an early dinner reservation (due to being with the grandsons!), so everyone was in a big rush. I wasn't concerned when I found the orange on the bottom (was taking off the stuff from the feet), just surprised. I tried a bit of Meltonian and when it didn't totally remove the stuff, I knew that Claude would when I was next in NYC. I also knew about color transfer from tpf! I would have probably been in a panic if I hadn't know about the color transfer or that there are two craftsmen in NYC. Many would not know either.

ah. i suppose that is probably why they changed their dustbag from orange to what it is now!

the SA i saw took the box out and started tearing the shrink-wrap, - i was immediately intrigued -, opened the box, opened the dustbag, and the customer inspected the bag, happy with it, SA put it back into the dustbag and box, and then proceeded to checkout/cashier counter. the customer hung around and sat around the boutique, SA took her credit card to be processed and brought it back to the customer to be signed while she continued hanging around and sitting around the boutique browsing and chatting away.

i can see why people like shopping at H :P

On a much smaller note, I bought some enamels and clic clacs today, and my SA showed me that they were brand new, in the shrink wrap, before he opened them up for me.

Love shopping at H!!

just a quick question on shrink wrap...sorry to hijack this thread

birkins and kellys and other bags, they're never shrinkwrapped around the bags itself but just the boxes right? i can't remember but i'm just asking because i came a cross a suspicious looking white birkin on another site. it had shrink wrap around the actual bag (and it was loose to boot!). ..i don't remember seeing my news bags shrinkwrapped. the box yes but not the bag...

actually i don't even remember anything Hermes has shrinkwrap on the item itself...