Disney+ Unveils Trailer & New Images Of Daniel Brühl As Iconic Designer In Gaumont-Produced Drama ‘Becoming Karl Lagerfeld’

I have so many thoughts after watching the series. I really feel for Karl. Also I have to say I’m quite shocked about Yves from Yves Saint Laurent. Was this common knowledge? I hope they will get a second season it was soooo good!

Reactions: limom
I have so many thoughts after watching the series. I really feel for Karl. Also I have to say I’m quite shocked about Yves from Yves Saint Laurent. Was this common knowledge? I hope they will get a second season it was soooo good!
This serie is very kind toward Karl, was he really asexual? He had other companions throughout his life besides Jacques.
As far as the excess portrayed regarding YSL, he was affected with severe mental illness most of his life. Even as a child, he was beyond odd.
Despite his débauche, he was well liked because he had a vulnerability about him, like a wounded child, plus his undeniable genius.
But he could also like a child be incredible cruel. As was Karl, btw.
And yes, it was well known by everybody, although some darker tendencies are still hidden. It is rumored that it was a free for all in Morocco and it involved very, very young men.
It was the era and lucky for Yves he died before a possible reckoning.

Reactions: joleenzy
This serie is very kind toward Karl, was he really asexual? He had other companions throughout his life besides Jacques.
As far as the excess portrayed regarding YSL, he was affected with severe mental illness most of his life. Even as a child, he was beyond odd.
Despite his débauche, he was well liked because he had a vulnerability about him, like a wounded child, plus his undeniable genius.
But he could also like a child be incredible cruel. As was Karl, btw.
And yes, it was well known by everybody, although some darker tendencies are still hidden. It is rumored that it was a free for all in Morocco and it involved very, very young men.
It was the era and lucky for Yves he died before a possible reckoning.
I actually believe that he was A Sexual, maybe something in his childhood happened that made him this way? Also the fact that he always lived with his mother while she was alive, maybe there’s something to it?

That’s very interesting to know thank you for sharing.

I believe that Karl wasn’t a saint but you can tell that he was lonely deep inside, it’s like he fantasized about having all that fun and being free to love and enjoy life but fear held him back somehow…

Watch both the YSL movies from 2014. I like them more.

I didn't like this as much as Balenciaga or Dior/Chanel show cos they didn't show off clothes or shoes etc. in this.

Does anyone have an answer to my previous questions?

Last edited:
Watch both the YSL movies from 2014. I like them more.

I didn't like this as much as Balenciaga or Dior/Chanel show cos they didn't show off clothes or shoes etc. in this.

Does anyone have an answer to my previous questions?
There were more than 3000 period costumes in this series but yes it focused more on the backstory.
Karl never did couture for Chloe, he left to be with Chanel.
His own brand is still sold in the US, it is really not luxurious at all. there are better clothing at target.

Well to be fair he started the brand so people could buy Lagerfeld even if they don’t have Chanel Money. He had nice stores when he lived. They ruined it after they decided to also sell at outlets and started producing bad products. Who runs the company now?

• Insightful
Reactions: limom
Thought so, too.

Actually there are 200+ stores worldwide. Why the brand wont be featured in magazines- really no idea?

Still do not like it, though.
View attachment 6015679
They're not featured in the top fashion mags cos as Joleen says:
Well to be fair he started the brand so people could buy Lagerfeld even if they don’t have Chanel Money. He had nice stores when he lived. They ruined it after they decided to also sell at outlets and started producing bad products. Who runs the company now?
They make 'bad products'.

He treated his own brand as secondary whereas Alexander McQueen used to get money from his Givenchy gig and invest it back into his own brand, he didn't treat his own brand as secondary.

However Karl did do some cool collabs under his label such as Karl Lagerfeld × Diet Coke bottle:
529_541.jpg

Karl Lagerfeld × Christofle flatware:
FI-karl-lagerfeld-christofle-collection-design-tableware.jpg

Funny thing is YSL also did a collab with Christofle lol.

Maybe Karl didn't spend money on marketing his own brand?

Last edited:
Reactions: millivanilli
I guess you are right he treated his own brand poorly. Sad, though. I like the aesthetivs of the brand a lot.

That said: Ended watching the series, binge worthy it is my inner fashion Yoda says.

The last seconds.... oh so good.

Not so good: the question of my husband: "oh and did he work for them?"

Mkay. I love him dearly but this... it's an afront.

Reactions: joleenzy
I guess you are right he treated his own brand poorly. Sad, though. I like the aesthetivs of the brand a lot.

That said: Ended watching the series, binge worthy it is my inner fashion Yoda says.

The last seconds.... oh so good.

Not so good: the question of my husband: "oh and did he work for them?"

Mkay. I love him dearly but this... it's an afront.
I really hope for a second season! I would love to see his years at chanel and what happened behind the scenes.

And I totally understand. My father thought Karl was a Cat because he saw Choupette on some shoes I have from the brand lmao

• Love
Reactions: millivanilli